V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a 2002 Road King for a good price. The original owner rode it and put 9500 miles on it, and then passed away. The bike is for sale by his daughter. The bike has sat for two years. The battery is dead. It is fuel injected. Can I replace the battery and attempt to start it, or should it go to the dealer?
Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it attracts water). Change it.

Warm the bike up and drain all the oils.

Drain the tank of fuel. Use a dental mirror to examine for rust. Gas sits on top of water. Rust is likely above the fuel level and at the bottom.

Check the tires for dry rot.

That's all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need help on a 2002 Road King

I have a line on a 2002 Road King for a good price. The original owner rode it and put 9500 miles on it, and then passed away. The bike is for sale by his daughter. The bike has sat for two years. The battery is dead. It is fuel injected. Can I replace the battery and attempt to start it, or should it go to the dealer?
Tim

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Do the battery, change out the gas and oil. Ride it away.

·
Registered
927 Posts
How much is a gallon of gas compared to the cost of the bike? Before starting it drain the tank & maybe even put in another 1/2 gallon, swish it around, and drain it too, then put in some new gas before starting it. Cheap insurance IMO. And I agree with the others about changing all the fluids, check the tires, etc.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Do the battery, change out the gas and oil. Ride it away.[/QUO
After you do all that you might try adding a little Marvel gas treatment a friend of mine picked up a bike that sat 2 years and it spit an spudded we add a little marvel and it started running like a champ GOOD LUCK

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I had bike that had been sitting for years. Had to clean all the carbs out it. Not sure if two years is that long or not. If stabil was used maybe not.
I agree change all the fluids.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
pull the plugs

bikersphd said:
Geezer-Glide said:
Do the battery, change out the gas and oil. Ride it away.[/QUO
After you do all that you might try adding a little Marvel gas treatment a friend of mine picked up a bike that sat 2 years and it spit an spudded we add a little marvel and it started running like a champ GOOD LUCK
! iwould spray a little pb blaster(penetrating oil) at the base of the spark plugs,before i remove them,then squirt a liitle of that marvel mystery oil in the plug holes and let it sit for a few minutes.clean the plug threads and put a little anti-seize on new plugs and start her up.good luck

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How many threads you going to start on this?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
mountainrider said:
Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it attracts water). Change it.
Brake fluid on that bike is silicone based..can't attract nor absorb water.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I would check all the mentioned before you put any miles on it. If you are not comfortable doing the work, tow it to a good wrench and buy a couple of hours of checking over. Since the owner died, he probably did not get a chance to prep the bike for storage.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I second the recommdation of adding a little Marvel gas treatment. I bought a bike a few yrs ago that had sat for about 4 yrs. I drained all the fluids, changed the battery, ran some rust dissolver in the tank after I took it off, sealed the tank and gassed it up. It sputtered a little then I thew in some Marvel gas treatment and it cleared up within a tank full. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

Went to see the bike, it was all that was promised. 9100 miles, chrome lowers, lowered an inch on both ends. Burgandy and Black, miscellaneous chrome, alarm, garage door opener, and a year left on the extended warranty. Bought a new battery from the dealer and put it in.Checked the fluids. It sputtered once and then started right up. Added the Marvel Mystery Oil on a full tank of gas, and rode it home. It goes to the dealer tomorrow for a complete check. All for $11.5K.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Sweet deal. If I were in the market for a used bike, it would be a 2002 model. They had the last round of significant updates; but were before the moco started getting cheap with the bearings in their lower end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts