V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont get mad if this has already been posted befor, my computer is slow, and i cant view old pages.........now with that said, im looking to upgrade my v twin for more power....DUH..... my question is what is the difference between head work and installing a 95 kit.....i just want more take off power and preformance......is that the difference? one has low end potential while the other gives u top end?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Look at the engine as an air pump the more air that flows through it the more power you will have. The ported heads can and will flow more air to supply the combustion chamber, the 95'' kit will give the extra volume of air to be contained and compressed. Now a cam will let the valves stay open longer to let the heads and cylinder do the job they're capable of doing. More air makes more power.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Check out www.head-quarters.com.They sell packages with the heads, cams, and ignition.I have the 0039 cams with the low compression pistons.This set up yields 100hp, 100+lbs torque.There is not alot of talk on this forum of this set up.I would like to hear others experience about head-quarters.All I know is this bike is stronger than the roadstar warrior I had,Ijust wish it handled as well.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
springer- said:
Do them at the same time, since you have to remove the heads to do the 95" kit it is a perfect time to send them out.
@gree: Makes no sense to do it any other way. Sounds like you just want some extra grunt and if that's the case, you have a lot of really good options that will allow you to assemble a strong, reliable build at relatively minimal cost.

Andrews 26 and 37 builds with relatively mild headwork will work with your stock CV40 - if you've got a carb and stock rods. Doesn't present tuning issues and many people have these builds.

You might do a search, pm some of the members, see what they say, think about how you ride and will use the bike and then think in terms of a package, including a few hours on a dyno. You definitely want to do it all at once as it saves you having to do work twice.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
Actually, porting the heads and adding a mild cam without increasing displacement can be VERY effective. The TC88 is strangled at the top-end for EPA's sake.

Bumping displacement without addressing the heads and cams makes no sense to me, but people do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
reload said:
Check out www.head-quarters.com.They sell packages with the heads, cams, and ignition.I have the 0039 cams with the low compression pistons.This set up yields 100hp, 100+lbs torque.There is not alot of talk on this forum of this set up.I would like to hear others experience about head-quarters.All I know is this bike is stronger than the roadstar warrior I had,Ijust wish it handled as well.
I was looking at the 1550 low compression kit
Can you throw out your opinion on their work ? I have heard mostly good stuff of them.
What kind of bike are you riding ?

any details you see relevant ...cost , time etc

TIA

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Head Quarters does nice work, I don't know any timing events with the 0039 cam though.
I will be posting some graphs on 95'' kits and Basiley head work with stock cams next week some time just so you all can see what the big bore and flowed heads and a 40mmC/V carb will do alone properly tuned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all the responces and info. im doing some checking and the info u guys have given me has given me a place to start. thanks again.
sometimes all u need is a different explaination for the same thing

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Redhill,
My bike is a 2000 FXDX with the 1550 low comression kit installed by the guys at The Alley in Georgetown,Tx.With the geardrive cams installed,everything cam to about 2500.00.This is the strongest bike I've owned including a Roadstar Warrior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts