V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some advice on installing a d&d fatcat exhaust on my 06 roadking. Am I right that the black bracket and the very large hex head bolts are there only if you need them? Not sure I need to use them when installing on a 06 roadking. If I do need them where does the bracket mount to the bike? There is the small bracket on the header pipe. Is this meant to be used always or only on some installations.

Thanks,
Lance.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
What you do is remove the stock exhaust bracket right below the transmission and replace it with the black one that came with the Fatcat. Then when you mount the exhaust on the bike, the tab on the header pipe will line up with that new bracket you installed.

Yes, you have to use the new bracket.

Steve

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D&D Fatcat Instruction sheet

Thanks Steve. Had another look at the installation instructions then called D&D and spoke with a Mark who put me right. The instructions don't tell you that the tranny/clutch cover and the oil dipstick cover need to be removed. Hmmm. Any way, with their advice (which could have been in the instructions) I think i will be ok now. Many thanks for the help.

Lance (aka the novice).

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, have the fatcats installed. will take it for a run tomorrow morning hopefully. In the package, there was an additional piece of paper that said the muffler clamp was to be torc'd to 150 in lbs. Well, i tried this and broke the bolt. I think this spec may be in error. Anyways, local hardware store had a replacement bolt and needless to say i did not try to torc it to 150 again. Has anybody else done this? Or am i the only one?

Thx.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
I put a Fatcat on a friend's bike, and the muffler kept sliding back. So I went to tighten the bolt and snapped it pretty easily. I picked up a heavy duty t-bolt clamp and put that on in place of the stock one, tightened the heck out of it, and the muffler has never moved.

My muffler has never moved, and I have the bolt just as tight as I could without snapping it. If I did snap it, I would replace it with a grade 8 bolt and do it again.

Steve

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. Do you recall if you useed the spacers at the rear mount bracket below the saddle bags? This lowers the muff just a bit. And, when bolting the pipes to the bracket under the tranny cover, did the pipe bracket sit on top of the bracket fastened to the engine? or vice a versa?

thx.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
baggins said:
Thanks again. Do you recall if you useed the spacers at the rear mount bracket below the saddle bags? This lowers the muff just a bit. And, when bolting the pipes to the bracket under the tranny cover, did the pipe bracket sit on top of the bracket fastened to the engine? or vice a versa?

thx.
I did not use the spacers on his bike nor on my bike..............I lined everything up and it was all level without the spacers.

I think the mounting tab is on top of the bracket, but I don't remember for sure.

Start tightening at the heads, then do the rear end, then do the tranny bracket last.

Steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine wound up on top of the transmission mount, and I used the spacers to obtain the correct alignment of the muffler angle. I always tighten the D&D FatCat systems starting at the back and working forward to the exhaust studs. If you do the studs first you lose the ability to keep the pipe straight or adjust the pipe in or out for clearance from the cam and transmission covers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts