V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just installed some new grips. i got everything installed, but when putting the brake lever back on i must have done something because i can't get the brake light to go out. the lever won't push the botton in all the way. any idea's?

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Did you put a spacer between the brake lever and the housing? If not, you might have broken the brake light switch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i didn't see a spacer in there? i had everything put back together and pulled the break lever in and i herd a snap. so i took it all back apart and found no parts broke off. so i put it back together and turned the key on to notice the brake light is stuck on? man i thought i was being carefull too!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Yep...busted...did the same thing...you're gonna love replacing the switch!

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
When I did the same thing, I was lucky enough to find the little end piece that broke off and super glue it back on. Still holding after 3 months. If it falls of, I'll replace the switch.
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i believe the *** bike's have the switch on the other side of the lever and when you remove the lever asy the switch stays intack they don't have a tiny pc of plastic that can break off. but i have cooled off and ready replace the switch............

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hope you know how to solder well. You should pull back the black plastic portion of the harness as far as possible. Cut the wires to the old switch. A tip is to stagger the cuts, so that your new solders won't be next to each other and create a big lump. Solder the new switch on (don't forget to put some heat shrink on the wire first !!

When reassembling, the manual says to jam a "spacer" (cardboard, a nickel) keeping the lever open. I'm a tech and prefer to remove the snap ring and take the lever off before installing the master cylinder. Once all is back on the bar, use a screwdriver and push the plunger in, and sneak the lever around the corner, then reinstall the snap ring. Sounds harder than it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
has anyone tried to glue the small piece back on? i just hate to cut open the wire harness unless i have to. fortunatly i have some wireing experience and have solder wires. my guess is the wires are tiny with NO extra length..

thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You don't have to cut open the "wire harness", just the wires themselves. The black cover will pull back pretty far. The wires on the new switch are a 2-3 inches long.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Sorry to hear of your delimna.

a rule of thumb I live by is no maintenance should be undertaken without at least referring to the manual or questioning someone with experience, if I am unexperienced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts