V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a two stage paint I am not fussy about which one as long as it is is to locate and buy. I need a number if some one has it. Looking for semi flat black ans semi clear. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
HD when u spray a 2 stage paint the base will almost always have a flat sheen to it. The gloss is from the clear . I would call a local body shop supply and ask if they make a flattening agent that is compatable with the clear. I have used it in single stage paints and the amount u add will determine the flattness of the finish. Have never added it to the clear though.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want a smei flat look with a smie gloss clear. I hate the prints that get left on the non coated flat finish. I am not a painter really I own a hvlp sharp gun and other items that I messed with but always done basic gloss black and regular two stage work never tried flat colors. And I have not painted since I have been out here in AZ paint products seem to be hard to find seemed like in MI that there was a auto paint store on every corner.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So HDWRENCH you got your scooter back together or did you build another one...from what I hear your Duece was pretty trashed after the "POTHOLE INCIDENT"

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always use a product called FlatClear from Alsa. The company quotes the product as allowing you to "attain today's hottest trend, the old school 'flat' look, without sacrificing paint protection." When I use it, I use any basecoat/clearcoat black I want and FlatClear does the rest. I am getting ready to apply this combination on the bike pictured... Derk

·
drinker of fine ales
273 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I want a smei flat look with a smie gloss clear. I hate the prints that get left on the non coated flat finish.
Heres a test shoot I did to see if the flat and gloss combo would work. I just painted as usual, wetsanded and buffed the graphic area and surrounding area, masked off the graphics again, scuffed and shot 1 coat of clear mixed with flattening agent. parts clear-2 parts flattener, reduced and activated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts