V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any tips on how to get handle bar switch wire thru the handle bars. I'm putting on a set of 1-1/4" drag bars on my Heritage and this is driving me nuts. Hope somebody's knows an easy way to do this.

thanks

john

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

A small nut with a long piece of string attached to it, drop the nut through the bars. Now you got string through the bars, tie and tape the string to the wiring then after greasing it, and like the OL says, slip it in :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey elite4, how did it go? I'm facing the same chore this weekend and I'd appreciate any tips from your experience. I'm putting 16' chubby apes on my DWG. How did you handle the wiring? Two choices I hear -- cut and splice somewhere under the tank or pull the wires out of the harness and splice there. That is, if you need to add length....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Droping a string only works with the bars off. Use a simple wire (like rebarb tie wire or striped #12 copper) if the bars are on and everthing is mounted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Use Mechanics wire.........don't try pulling the wires through with the vinyl sleeve on it.
Hope you didn't buy Wild1 Chubby's (POS!!!)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
What's wrong with wild1's? Mine are fine.

I used 10 gauge electrical wire pushed/pulled through. I assume you know about using a pick or small screwdriver to disassemble the connectors.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
pulling wires

try a electricians fish tape.....

go to a home supply shop like home depot or where ever...

small can had cheap...
and reuse it later for home wiring projects....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Logical:
How did you remove your fuel tank without disturbing the factory crimp fuel line clamps (ie..warranty?)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I didn't worry about that chops. You can either use the opportunity to install the braided steel official HD chrome crosover line or buy a foot of automotive fuel line and two hose clamps.

I will say the fuel tank is the biggest PIA in the whole process though.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also was curious re: the comment about Wild 1 chubby's. I have the, and the quality appears perfect, not really sure what makes bars a pos though. I talked to a number of other road king owners who have them and they also liked them. Perhaps it is the style, not finish?? Anyway, O am VERY pleased with mine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pulling wiring thru handlebars trick....

Use some string, like the white soft stuff, feed it thru hole while using a common household vacuum cleaner with hose to pull it thru. Use a piece of tape to cover any other holes. Works great with bars on bike. Once you got string thru, tie or attach to wiring, lubricate em and pull em thru.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanx Logical:
The crimp deal was the only thing stopping me from doing it.
I guess I'll bite for the shiny O-fficial HD made in Tiawan upgrade.
I don't have too much warranty left anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I use the same method as Polizzo but I use 20 lb test fishing line and a cigarette butt tied to one end and fluffed. Then I plug all other holes with mask tape and stick the vaccuum hose to the end that I am wiring (the outer diameter actually is the EXACT size as the inside diameter of a standard shop vac hose) Then I turn on the vac and put the fuzzy at the hole near the head (heh sounds like a sentence from an EAYOR post) Anyway,,,, after the line is through, I use needle nose pliers to pull the monofiliment through the drilled dimpled hole and pull a stronger pull wire through the bars, I then cut the HUGE rubber wire sheath off and shrink wrap the harness, connect the control wires to the pull wire and pull. I finish it off by "Western Union" splicing, soldering and shrink wrapping each wire individually, then shrink wrap them all together.

·
Registered
91 Posts
go to your closet and get a wire hanger. unravel the hook end and pass it through. Use a little Dawn dish detergent for lube. I originally pulled the switch wiring and the turn signals through the bars but was too tight. Ended up relocating the turn signals off the bar to the light bar after a few months anyway.

I have the wild1 chubby RKII bars on my fatboy and love 'em. chrome is flawless and the extra width and pullback actually got me to sit back in the seat instead of leaning forward. wrist position is second to none. my buddies call it riding the "couch".

I look back and laugh now but I cut every wire on the harness and spliced. It wasn't until a few days later I saw the page in the service manual where it explains how to disassemble the wiring harness.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You do not have to cut the harness on for most bars on a Dyna!!! Cut the zip tie that is holding the harness under the tank inside the acess hole in frame by the neck, and that should give you enough legnth, Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just drilled my bars and unplugged the wires from the conn. block(after drawing diagram) and sprayed wd40 inside bars lit a cigar opened a beer and slowly fed wiring in use a dental tool ace sells em for 05 to15cent each to fish the wiring out at the bottom and reinstall wiring into plug blcks takes time and a good sense of humor you can also elongate the drilled holes to give ya a little more space drink another beer and enjoy becoming one with your scoot....

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I gotta know whats wrong with the Wild1 Chubbys too. I have the 20"ers on mine and have had no problems with them.

As far as the wiring was concerned. I purchase new chrome switches with the wiring harnesses. Of course there were no pins on the end and they went thru the bars fine even with the vinyl sleeve on. I taped up all the wires with electrical tape and just pushed them in the hole at the dimple and pulled them out at the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts