V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought it was pretty well figured out 2 yrs ago, may have listened to wrong opinions. Build listed below; e mailed dr. dyno for april appointment and gave him specs; e mailed me back and told me to change cam ( did not recommend any however ) I ride in mostly 2-4000 rpm range on 04 fat boy, heads designed for 575 lift. Hopefully trying to replace cam ( if I have to) with one that gives a broad power range, gear drive possible and hopefully not have to alter heads. Please give opinions and reasoning for your choice.
95 ci
s/e httc heads(non cnc ported)
s/e forged pistons
s/e tappets
211 cam?????????
42 mikuni flatslide
s/e aircleaner with zippers upgrade k&n filter
s/e 6200 rpm ignition ( may be replaced w/twin tech 88a )
10.5-1 comp. ratio
switching 16 guage double barrels to pro pipe or rinehart 2-1 system
Has decent power from get go, but really turns on from 3000 rpm, thought it would do better in lower rpm due to comp ratio.
Need some rationalization-please. retired lt

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I know Grock likes the Andrews TW-67G...which is very similar to the SE 257 only in gear drive. It is a .570" lift so it will work with your heads without mods, I would think.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Here is a sheet that we did that tw5 swap fro a 211 with the htcc heads, The bike had a good fuel line and we had cams loaded in another plate, bike had quick install p/r. SO we dynoed the 211 and swapped in the tw5 cam. The 211 is a bit of a late builder as for tq. Hope it shows up clear enough. Bike was a ultra and was using a pcIII usb SE A/C pro pipe. As you can see the tw5 made some great tq increase in the lower rpm range

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Have you purchased all the components yet? IMO that's a lot more than you need for the rpm range you mention. If you don't ride in the upper rpm range you may not feel much gain over a bolt-in cam and simpler (less expensive build).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks in advance for the feedback so far, but to answer the question: over the many years of riding, it was always an air cleaner, exhaust and carb rejetting one year, cam next year, etc. Back in 04, I decided to build it that way to maintain my status as the oldest teenager on the mountain. Although I am usually in the 2-4k range, it does not mean I don't occassionaly have some fun. To continue my thread, I understand how some cams are too much for the build and come on late, my problem is understanding what effect on an engine that putting in a too much of a low end cam with the comp. ratio I have Thanks again. retired lt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts