V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom paint job on my Heritage (about a year old). The other day i noticed some very tiny white dots in various places on the tank - these dots were not there before i put the bike in winter storage. I have no idea what caused these. At first they appeared to just be on the surface but after further inspection i determined they are actually below the surface in the clear coat. I tried using some ScratchX on the spots to try and rub them out and it did help but still didn't remove them completely. For the paint experts here - is there something else i can use to try and get these out? I didn't want to try anything to abbrasive before asking you guys. Also, any ideas what could have caused this?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
If its under the clear coat then rubbing wouldnt remove them. But u stated that rubbing with Scratchx helped it so I think something settled on the paint and stained it .Where/how was the bike stored?

I would be carefull of rubbing to much as u really dont know how thick your clear coat is. I would ask the painter his/her oppinion on the spots.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fxsts103ci said:
If its under the clear coat then rubbing wouldnt remove them. But u stated that rubbing with Scratchx helped it so I think something settled on the paint and stained it .Where/how was the bike stored?

I would be carefull of rubbing to much as u really dont know how thick your clear coat is. I would ask the painter his/her oppinion on the spots.
The bike was stored in a temporary storage facility for a short period while i moved and is now located in my garage. I had another bike sitting right beside it but it doesn't have the spots, so i'm not sure what could have caused it. It was painted by Atitude Custom Painting and i'm trying to get in touch with them. It's one of their "double dose" jobs so it should have 7-10 coats of clear - according to their web site.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got ahold of Scott at Attitude Custom yesterday. Said the dots i'm seeing may be solvent pops. I'm sure the painters here know what that is but i don't. Anyway, he said he'd be glad to take care of it for me and even re-clear the tank if need be. Now that's what i call good customer service. Of course i'd have to ship the tank back to him. He also gave me detailed instructions on how i can attempt to resolve the problem myself, which i'm going to try first. Hopefully, i can avoid the down time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Normally you see solvent pop right away. But with paint its allways something different,,, I agree its probally something staining it,, Soap and water and a good rubdown might be your best bet,,,

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Armentor said:
Normally you see solvent pop right away. But with paint its allways something different,,, I agree its probally something staining it,, Soap and water and a good rubdown might be your best bet,,,
Yea, after nearly a year i wouldn't think solvent pop would be happening. Anyway, since the polishing compound didn't work i don't think soap and water is going to help much. The painter told me to try wet sanding with 2000 then using a 3M foam pad to bring back the shine. Guess that'll be what i try next.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I had solvent pops 8 months after a paint job! At first it looked great. My painter took care of it as well!

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Solvent pop usually happens within the first few weeks after the paint . Many painters say "Ohh its solvent pops" To just about everything But with todays paints the paint cures more by chemical reaction than solvent evaporation. Sovent pop is caused by improper flash time or too heavy an application .

After rereading your post I see its only on the tank .Tanks are more prone to "blushing" so if it was a cool humid day there may be trapped water in the paint.

U can try the 2000 sand I would use 2500 myself and let it sit a day or 2 .preferably in the sun to force the water/solvent out . When u sand u break the barrior on the paint and it will breath .Then use a 6 inch DA polisher with a black pad no swirl marks . I notice that everytime I sand a fresh paint job I smell the solvents , even after a week or two of drying . Thats why I let the sanded panel sit a least a day after I color sand before buffing

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to follow up....i wet sanded with 2000 today and followed up with three stages of polish. Excellent results! The spots are gone (where i sanded anyway) and the shine is back. After sanding i started with Menzerna's Intensive polish, then followed up with some Meguiars Scratch X, then finally Menzerna's Final polish. It looks as good as new. I'm really pleased with the results to say the least. Has anyone used this Menzerna polish? I found it on the internet last year. This is some good sh*t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts