V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite girl is getting back her income tax and told me to go and get something for the bike. I only have two mods left I want to do and can't decide which to do. I either want to do a speedo/tach combo which will be for convience of a tach or all bradded cables which will be the finishing touch to the front of the bike which will be for looks. Both are about the same money so which would you do.

A) SPEEDO/TACH COMBO
B) CABLES

Thanks for you help. Mike

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Actually a tach is for more then just convience. It has a purpose. That being said braided lines look good. Can't help. I do think you can get the line cheaper then tach/speedo.

·
06 NightTrain
289 Posts
If i was in that situation i would take the money and suprise her with a gift. that would really get you in the good books.:yes:

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Put in a little of your OWN money, and get both. If you order from some of the discount HD online, you'll save money. And I think you can get braded line cheaper, if you don't go with HD brand. The magazines always have several to choose from.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you go for the lines, make sure you get the covered braided lines that are UV protected. The first set of braided lines I bought weren't covered, and were a major pain to keep polished. The second set were covered in clear vinyl that turned yellow in a couple of years. I understand that Barnett cables are covered and don't yellow....be sure and ask!

If you go for the Tach/Speedo combo, some of the 'cheapo' units don't have a trip meter. You really don't want to not have one.

Happy spending!

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
If you have not done any engine mods and are going for the look, then go for the cables now. If you plan on doing some engine mods and want to max out RPMS from time to time running her then the tach/speedo combo is a must. I changed mine out some time ago and I love it. It is not up on the trees in the way, it is all in one and a very sweet looking diplay.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
berserker said:
Actually a tach is for more then just convience. It has a purpose. That being said braided lines look good. Can't help. I do think you can get the line cheaper then tach/speedo.
IMO the tach part of the speedo combo is more for looks than actual function due to the location. A tach needs to be in your line of sight to be used effectively without jeopardizing safety. As for your question, i'd go with the braided cables.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
rup said:
Go with the cheaper of the two and with the left over cash take the lil" lady out to dinner.
@gree: Good idea Rup!

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
The Speedo/Tach unit was one of the first things I put on my bike when new. The braided cables look nice but I'd really hate being without a tach.

If you've never had one on your bike, I think you'll be surprised how far off your shift points have been. Lots of people think they're revving and shifting much higher than they actually are. Your bike will thank you. Save wear on your motor now and there will be plenty of time for braided cables next tax season.:D

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I have never had a tach and have never had a problem with lugging or overspeed. I think the tachs look great and there are times when I would like to have one just to see exactly what my rpms are when cruising or when I lay into it. I agree, when I'm putting the hot coals to throttle I don't really want to be looking for a tach. I was born and raised driving old "3 speeds on the tree" and old Bob trucks hauling hay. I think once you have the "feel" for your own bike you know just about exactly where the best shift points are and when you do want to really wind it out...no problem.

I put new throttle/idle cables on about a year ago. They are still like NEW and look great. Very shiny stainless braid and clear coat teflon.

www.magnumshielding.com

A little pricier than Barnett but super nice. Magnum makes all cables and lines. Check it out and spend that money. In the picture below only the throttle/idle cables are Magnum Shielding. They are so shiny they look almost white from the flash. The brake and clutch cables are standard stainless with no coating. That's my next purchase.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola (1995 FXDWG)
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Man I wouldnt take her money..................... go out with her and buy your own stuff.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Braided lines. They are more than eye-candy. You brakes will firm up and stay that way longer. The lines will not swell under pressure thereby preventing the dreaded squishy feel.

I would like a tach but it probably be only a temporary benefit. Once I nailed down my shift points to be taking better advantage of the engine I probably would not pay much attention to it anymore.

I once had a 1985 Mazda RX-7 with a 9,000 red-line. Mazda solved the RPM issue under max acceleration by using a unique sounding alarm that buzzed right before hitting the red-line. It was awesome to simply respond to the sound! In that little car you hear the 1st two alarms in almost rapid succession. :D Very cool! ;)

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
NodakGus said:
Braided lines. They are more than eye-candy. You brakes will firm up and stay that way longer. The lines will not swell under pressure thereby preventing the dreaded squishy feel.

I would like a tach but it probably be only a temporary benefit. Once I nailed down my shift points to be taking better advantage of the engine I probably would not pay much attention to it anymore.

I once had a 1985 Mazda RX-7 with a 9,000 red-line. Mazda solved the RPM issue under max acceleration by using a unique sounding alarm that buzzed right before hitting the red-line. It was awesome to simply respond to the sound! In that little car you hear the 1st two alarms in almost rapid succession. :D Very cool! ;)
You can put a shift light on an HD. It lights up when time to shift. I can see that as handy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Buy the riser mount tach and housing and the braided cables and take her out with the change. The mounted tach is more in your line of vision and won't be hazardous to watch as you blast off down the road and it is cheaper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts