V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm considering buying myself a Harley. I have been reading as much as I can to get a understanding of the good and bad aspects of the Twin-cam engine.
Can you tell me what know problems the Twin-cam's have? I understand there were some problems in 99 when it was new but I would imagine that all have been addressed by now.
What are the good aspects of the Twin-cam?
Any and all info appreciated!
Thanks,
Tray

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Tray, first welcome to the forum. I don't have the expertice to tell you everything that you may be interested in knowing about the twin cam but I'll tell you a few things about it. There are two twin engines, the first which came out in 1999 which is the TC88. It is rubber mounted in the frame of all but the softails. The TC88b was introduced in 2000 which is a counter balanced engine. It idles smoother because of the counter balancers and was designed to be put in the softails because there was no room for rubber mounting without modifying the existing softail frames. The twin cam has no load bearing cases like the evolution engines have...which is a plus in my opinion. The transmission is more ridgedly mounted to the engine which makes for less all around flex. This stiffened the Dynas to where they have much better handling characteristics comparable to the best handling ever FXRs of a few years ago. The Twin cam engine is really a platform designed to be increased in cubic inches from the start. Although the engine is new, the aftermarket technology is rapidly improving the available hop up parts for it along with the Harley sceaming eagle parts available from day one. It's a bigger displacement than the evo was from the beginning and increased cooling with 50% more cooling fin area and a better oiling system. I think the stock engine will last as long or longer than any that Harley has ever built. Although fuel injection is slowly taking over there are carb models still available which is what i prefer. The simplicity, reliability, durability, and the ease of mantainence of this twin cam makes it one that i have no qualms about riding on extended trips time after time with minimum attention and complete faith that it'll get me back home. I'm sure that others can fill you in on the more technical aspects.

Later,

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have an '01 TC88 with 8K and no problems at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TC Problems

01 TC88....11,800 miles and nothing big. Just got a little blowback on the right side that showed up on the seat under my leg, then on the back push rod tubes and where my Kerker pipes split to the right side off the back cylinder. I thought it was o-rings....been riding HD long time and in the old Shovels that was always the problem. But HD dealer told me today they think it's oil coming back thru the carb. It may have been because I did 180 miles on a short putt Sunday, then blew it out in 4th gear the last few miles before hitting the garage. I'm having Screaming Eagle air cleaner put on it and they think that's going to solve the problem. Mine uses no oil between changes...and have no complaints other than the TC88 ain't near what it could be from the factory. This engine looks to me to be one a guy can work up a lot, doing the stuff people talk about....exhaoust, air cleaner and maybe carb, ignition, plug wires, and some head work. Can tell you in West Texas a lot of TC88 riders that buy used HD out of warranty have the heads done first thing out of the box, and it makes a big difference on an engine that already pulls you down the road quite smartly. Looking forward to tinkering with the possibilities on mine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Tray said:
So you can only get the counterbalencer if you buy a bike with the engine in a rigid mount?
The TC88b is the counterbalanced engine from Harley that is standard in the new bikes with the engines that are mounted directly to the frame (not rubber-mounted)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.