V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 small scratches on one of my vivid black saddlebags. The longest is not quite an inch and the other two are about a half inch each. The scratches are narrow, about as wide as a straight pin. I can see white in the scratches.I assume that's primer or something. Is there a product that I can use to buff out the scratches since they are fairly light? Or should I just get touch-up paint and fill them in? Thanks

~eddie

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sounds like touch up required. The white is the plastic bag itself. It is not ON the paint, it is under it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Couple of things to check...Does your fingernail catch in the scratch? If so it may be to deep..if it doesnt catch it should be able to be buffed out with a machine. Also if the scratch isnt deep enough to catch your fingernail..have you tried any polish or wax on it..that may be the white you are seeing.
Like JimmyK said if it so deep that you hit the plastic (or fiberglass?) you will need to touch it up with "layers" of touch up paint applied with a tooth pick.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Yep, a light touch up with several layers of paint applied with a toothpick. Then get some 1200 to 1500 finishing sand paper. Get it wet and lightly go over it to smooth and blend it even with the rest of the paint. Then get a little polishing compound on a buffer and buff the shine back. I have had to do it a few times with nicks on the front of the gas tank. It scares the hell out of you to see all the scratches once you sand it out, but the polishing compound brings the shine right back. I actually found out how to to this on line with a google search. I am not a body shop man in any way shape or form. I just got tired of the nicks on the front of the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Be Warned

Be warned however, that there is only a thin layer of clear on stock paint. If you buff through the clear, It's all over and a new paint job is in order! Go light!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
another piece of advice

In order to keep from removing as little clear as possible, try taping (painters tape) as close to the scratch as possible. Then touch up and do your sanding to bring the touch up close to the same level as surrounding paint, then remove the tape and finish up with a light touch of 1500 and compound!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Better yet dont use a rotary buffer..use a random orbital.
If you need to sand..personally I would use Lanka,,,it is wet sanding. Soak the sand paper for at least an hour and keep a spray bottle of water to keep area wet.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice

Thanks a million for the suggestions. I was hoping that I didn't have to go the paint route. I'm not good at that. Someone else suggested I try a black Sharpie pen. The scratches are thin enough that a Sharpie may just work enough to keep the scratches from being conspicuous. The scratches are near the bottom rear corner of the left saddlebag. If the Sharpie doesn't work I'll try the touch-up paint and toothpick.

eddie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

When wet sanding a small amount of soap doesn't hurt and sometimes a block if it's real flat. I have very carefully masked scratches with electrical tape for a real sharp edge and sprayed them with paint out of a can and they turned out really good. Then a real carefull wet sand and a buff and they are gone. Oh and if the scratch is wide and ragged it wouldn't hurt to clean it up with a prior wet sand.

Kevin

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
If you do decide to put some touch-up paint on there, then WET sand with 2000 grit paper. The 2000 will keep the clear scratching to a minimum and requires less polishing to get the shine back. As for polish, get some 3M lite to med clearcoat safe polish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts