V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
What's a reasonable amount to pay my HD dealer to install new front and back tires, and to repack the wheel bearings with grease at the same time? My bike is a 1998 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic. About how many hours should this job take?

I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow, I don't mind paying a fair price, but I don't want to go in blind and get ripped either!

Thanks,
OldBoy

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you take the wheels off yourself and carry them in, not more than $125 each, including tire disposal, repack and new seals and balancing.

Not sure what they'd charge to remove the tires, but it shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour for both.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I'm not an expert on shop work but I've certainly had my bikes in a shop often enough to have a feel for the answer to your question. This sort of work should all be by shop hours, which are pretty much standard. My guestimates are: 1 hr.-front tire; 2 hrs.-rear tire; 1 1/2-2 hrs.-repack. If they want to charge you more than 5/6 hrs. of labor, I'd ask why? Hourly rates vary from shop to shop. The tech guys on this Forum probably have the requisite hrs. memorized. I'm taking a educated guess based on experience.

If you coordinate the tire changes with big services, i. e. 10K, you can save a bit of labor time.

Q: why are you repacking the wheel bearings now at not at a major servivce time?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Labor for replacing front and rear tires, repack the bearings and balance would be about 3 hours or about $200.00. The problem is the price of tires at the dealers. They often get $150.00 for the same one you can get over the net for $90.00, and the ones you get over the net are usually much fresher. A volume thing.

I take the wheels off, buy the tires over the net, and have them mounted and balanced at the local dirt bike shop for about $20.00 each.
CalifPhil will give you very good prices on tires.

No need to worry either, these guys do tires from morning till night and to top it off they have better equipment (you may want to look at their machines before you give them the work). Tech's at dealers generally hate tire work, and often the one's doing it are apprentices.

$500.00 to $600.00 for the whole enchilada at the dealer, about $250.00 at home.

The in between option would be a good indy shop. Their tire prices are somewhere in between, but they only charge you a nominal fee for replacing them if you buy them there. Packing the bearings is a very small job with the wheels off and the seals are dirt cheap.

Up to you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Your posts over the last week or so helped me decide that I could learn how to service the bearings myself. So, I'm going to do what HIPPO suggested. Found tires at a local cycle shop- $80 front, $90 rear. They will mount/balance for $10 each since I bought tires there ($25 each if I bought elsewhere). They said tires would be fresh. I'll do the bearings.

Thanks again and please stay tuned ('cause I'll probably have more questions)!

- OldBoy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts