V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main purpose is to switch to gear drives. Appreciate all knowledge given to me re: cams. Build-95 s/e httc (non cnc ported) heads, httc pistons, valve tappets,race module(retards advance 10 degrees at wot),air cleaner, mik 42, 10.5-1 comp.adjustable push rods, 2-1 exhaust, oil cooler.
Spoke w/andrews today re: 31g and 55g. Tech said 55 was for up to 10.25-1, I thought it used to be for 10.5. For my riding (2-4k w/burst to 5k sometimes) he pushed strongly towards 31g. currently have s/e 211, no power or pinging issues. Questions i would like some answers to:
1. Do you see any pinging issues for either cam w/my build?
2. Understand power band is lower on 31, but how much might the 2600 and up band be lowered w/my comp ratio?
3. Anyone using these cams w/similar build have any complaints?
Thanks in advance.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
retired lt said:
Build-95 s/e httc (non cnc ported) heads, httc pistons, valve tappets,race module(retards advance 10 degrees at wot),air cleaner, mik 42, 10.5-1 comp.adjustable push rods, 2-1 exhaust, oil cooler.
For my riding (2-4k w/burst to 5k sometimes) Questions i would like some answers to:
2. Understand power band is lower on 31, but how much might the 2600 and up band be lowered w/my comp ratio?
You can get detonation with any build, increased CR just makes it easier to get.....just watch your ignition timing

I believe the CR has little to do with raising or lowering the the power band sweet spot. The cam events determine that. I believe the CR has more to do with how hard the events happen. If an A-31 has a starting sweet spot of 2600 then a 4 degree advance sprocket will bring the events down to the 2200 or so neighborhood.

I do not know about the A-31 cam and how it performs with your set up. have you firmly decided that is the cam you are going to run? Seems like you might be leaving quite a bit on the table with that cams and setup. One of the guru's can post you up much better info than I on that and your entire question as my knowledge base is far less than theirs in this matter. I know its kind of like a blind man explaining a sun set but.........

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
retired lt said:
Spoke w/andrews today re: 31g and 55g. Tech said 55 was for up to 10.25-1, I thought it used to be for 10.5. For my riding (2-4k w/burst to 5k sometimes) he pushed strongly towards 31g. currently have s/e 211, no power or pinging issues. Questions i would like some answers to:
Thanks in advance.
That sounds like the perfect build for a HQ 0039g if the springs will take the .580 lift or the HQ-TC-575. What do you think Dave?:hmmm:

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Well......you know I am a HQ cams covert and do worship at that alter. (sry for the highjack Retire_it) But he may be on to something.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just picked up my bike Saturday with 10.2 and 31 G , it's a great cam , pulls like a freight train from idle and keeps getting stronger. I 'm running SE perf heads. I almost went with the HTCC but changed my mind. I'd consider the Woods TW5G .

·
Registered
55 Posts
cam for htcc build

Retired it, I've got same build as you minus cam and I am switching to the tw31 cams. No expert here but I have done a lot of research on this subject.There was a dyno run posted on htt site with htcc setup with tw31 cams made 97hp 103tq. The owner said that the cams started pulling at about 2000 and pulled hard to limiter.If your htcc heads are right out of the box they dont flow well past .510 lift anyway so there is no need for a high lift cam,it would just be overkill.If your happy with se211 I think you will be happier with tw31 they should start pulling a little sooner than the 211.Good luck.kudumaned

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Do you have good gas? For me I travel cross country, so going with 9.7. Out west see 85 octane alot. But this just me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reply to sedeluxe05

Believe httc heads/httc pistons (non cnc ported heads) were designed for torque, not high rpm horsepower. Correct me if I'm wrong
SEDELUXE05 said:
even the tw6 some guys on the forum have had a lot of success with this cam.

imo the 55g is a high rpm cam not what you need for the range your looking for.

the htcc set up has big valves designed for high hp and reving.
the tw5 is a very good cam imo you will not need an advance key but roller rockers you might want to consider. some guys will tell you you do not need them but whats another 200 bucks for added security. you should check out this site http://www.woodcarbs.com/.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I don't want to sound errogant or like a know it all but will just state the facts. Many folks are getting close to or slightly over 100 and 110tq with tw37s and reworked stock heads, not even exotic headwork or bleeding edge compression. Just good builds, wisely thought out exhaust pipes and a good tune. Examples are on the Latus and Deweys site but other heads from Bigboyz and AMS do equally well. No bias here just an observation. No high bucks HTCC stuff. What do you think would happen if you subbed a set of SE low dome forged pistons and got the CR up to 10.3/1 or so and used the TW31 with the same combinations. A little less torque but 110hp doesn't seem unreasonable. My point is why not pocket a few bucks and have a ride just as fast and reliable. Choose your poison the TQ monster TW37 or the HP winner with the TW31 and all that with low budget heads.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
@gree: with everybody!!! You can:beatdh: on this question. You can go with 10 different dyno pages at 10 different websites and pretty much find a build with 100+HP and 105+TQ. I think it's a combination thing. What cam works with what head and what piston. I know that you can make some good numbers with the HTCC build, but I know it's expensive. My Bro just dropped a hair under $4k for his HTCC build. Will it be strong, yes. Did it cost too much, in my opinion-yes!! I've got right around $2500 in my build. And I bet it's as strong or stronger than his HTCC motor. Bottom line here is find a combo that fits your budget that'll give you the numbers you want and go with it. Ya know what, it ain't about the numbers....it's about that dyno in your a$$. If it feels good when you twist the wick, who the f%#k cares about numbers!! I have as much fun building them as I do riding....well almost hehehehehe ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The build, when put together, was what hd recommended as a package, including the 211 cam being a"perfect match" for the httc heads. Checked the paperwork on HTTC heads (16933-99b) Intake valve is 2" and exhaust valve "downsized" to 1.550. Whether this is correct or not -paperwork states in big bold print: must use s/e HTTC pistons(22439-00a). "Unique dome shape was designed to match the intricate contours of the s/e httc cylinder head combustion chambers to optimize the multiple squish areas and promote great torque"
What took me by surprise when talking to andrews that they were concerned over a possible pinging issue with the 55 cam. Not at all being argumentative, but I have what I have, been running it for 2 years and simply trying to go to a gear dr system w/o sacrificing (and possibly gaining ) performance. Not trying to go through expense of redoing my entire build. I think I can go with either one and I was trying to find out from forum members their experience with them w/a similar build and if any problems were prevalent. Thanks.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
retired lt said:
The build, when put together, was what hd recommended as a package, including the 211 cam being a"perfect match" for the httc heads. Checked the paperwork on HTTC heads (16933-99b) Intake valve is 2" and exhaust valve "downsized" to 1.550. Whether this is correct or not -paperwork states in big bold print: must use s/e HTTC pistons(22439-00a). "Unique dome shape was designed to match the intricate contours of the s/e httc cylinder head combustion chambers to optimize the multiple squish areas and promote great torque"
What took me by surprise when talking to andrews that they were concerned over a possible pinging issue with the 55 cam. Not at all being argumentative, but I have what I have, been running it for 2 years and simply trying to go to a gear dr system w/o sacrificing (and possibly gaining ) performance. Not trying to go through expense of redoing my entire build. I think I can go with either one and I was trying to find out from forum members their experience with them w/a similar build and if any problems were prevalent. Thanks.
I hope you don't think I was bashing ya man!! Wasn't meant to be that. :cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not at all, just going crazy to do the right thing only 1 time. When I thought I had it right, andrews tells me to go for the 31 and that 55 is only up to 10.2.Checked catolog after phone call and it states up to 10.2 on the 31 also. More confusion.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Do yourself a favor and give Doug a call at Head-Quarters. 1-519-892-6999. I swear he'll set you straight. I think the HQ-TC-575g is right up your alley. I think they make the best gear drive cams out there, period. But that's just my -2$en#e- :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.