V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here it is in a nutshell

I spoke with Keith Terry for about 2 hours on his new efi controler. Terminal velocity. I need some one with a 98 kit and that has a exhaust system with a bung in it. I will send the unit free for testing. A few rules are going to go along with this test

1. I need it tested on a dyno

2. I need the dyno sheets

3. You must have a sert, or a PCIII, to test against it

Please call me if you have any questions thank you

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Hey Wrench, what impression did you come away from your conversation with? I ordered one, my tuning issues are pretty well documented here so I'll have a pretty good heads-up comparison for my build with MM/EFI. Wish I'd have talked to Keith, I got his son when I called...
Just pulled a baseline the other day and will pull another one after installing the TV and running it for awhile.
Be interesting to see how it does with the 98! Wont the test bike need to have a download or SERT map before installation of the TV?
I still don't know how they use the same part for MM and Delphi. What's up with that?
Keep us posted(Iknow you will!), the TV seems to be a pretty hot topic here and on other forums recently...

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a new test pilot. He is in Ontario and has a MM system 98 kit 37g cams and will be using our heads. So I will keep all posted on this.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Adlerx
I am curious if one of the tuning wounds you cite may have been from Latus Motors? I have a pretty good tuner here in Tacoma but was considering Latus for a MM bike as I want to migrate it to the SERT or ICT.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
damn day late and a dollar short seems to be my thing

Steve if the other test bike doesnt come thru let me know after i get all my items from you id be willing to test the unit for .
my rineharts have that bung and needs to be filled
i have access to a dyno anytime i want so we could get multiple runs at no charge.
Btw im sitting on the edge waiting for the ups guy to show up!!:wootdnc:
you should have already recived my heads
Later
Greg

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Whoops, I got so excited I posted a reply before I saw you had a taker already. My bad.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well things may have changed so I will keep you posted. If so I will infact need some one to test this. For those that posted do any of you have the bung in the pipe??

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
HDWRECH, I do not have the bung installed at this time, but my next door neighbor is a welder and I could have it installed in less than an hour. Let me know, Id love to give it a go.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Quote from Bikernet "We will also install Keith Terry's newest closed loop Terminal Velocity Fuel Management System from Terry Components. It's a bolt on system with an exhaust sensor that I will weld to the rear exhaust pipe. This device will tune my King over the next 100 miles for optimum performance. We will also deliver a tech and a follow-up report." End Quote

Should be interesting to follow as well

·
Registered
258 Posts
A quick update here. GMR has my stage one heads ready to ship and Terry Components have modified the Terminal Velocity Unit for use with the 98" setup. My understanding is that the TC unit will be recieved at GMR today and shipped to me shortly there after. The unit is supossed to tune to my 98' 37g build without a stage II download. Hopefully I'll be able to report back real soon.

·
Dog is my copilot
85 Posts
Any idea what they modified in the TVII?

Gibby

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can only speculate. I'm no mechanic or programmer, but, if the unit somehow has a starting point closer to a 98", camed engine with basic head work and less restrictive pipes it stands to reason that the tuning process would be faster and easier to accomplish.
Possibly the band width of these units has a limit and making one like the one I'm guessing about above may make it able to handle even more heavily modified engines without any HD downloads.
Off coarse saving the end user the cost of a download (which may not be available much longer) and giving it the ability to add to a bike during the build so as it will find it's tune during the break in stage.
This is what we are hoping for and it's not going to be much longer till we find out for sure.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
It's hardly a true test of what's available to the general public then is it? I thought that was the point of the test pilot thing in this particular case. Good R&D testing(experimenting) for terry which could help others in the future, but what about all of us who have already purchased and installed the unit or those still on the fence. The test has no effect on them since it is not the unit that they can purchase....

Am I missing something here? I guess I thought the test was to re-assure VTF members that the Terry is as claimed and to move some product.

I have about 700miles on my TVII so far. I would say it's agood alternative for those who don't have access to a good tuner or either aren't through with with their changes or want to experiment without going to the dyno every time they make a little change. Also, in my opinion, it is a great alternative for Magnetti-Marelli owners since even alot of good tuners haven't a clue how to tune the MM. I will be keeping mine....

For now!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Finally, after a lengthy wait,I am riding my 98" bike with Terry Unit installed.
The 98" kit definately has more power, lots more bottom end.
I broke it in like the directions say and it ran real well below 3500 rpm, hardly a spit or backfire ever.
It (the Terry Unit) seemed to have a tuning problem at around 2900 rpm it would seem to intermittently load up. As I cruise at 2900 to 3000 most of the times, this was/is very annoying.I'm cruising allong and the bike is CONSTANTLY struggling with the tune at these rpms, hard to explain , but, a real PITA.This problem almost a intermittent miss also happens when I'm moving along with traffic and need to increase my speed by adding very little throttle. If I really crank it , it performs like it is supposed to except for backfiring.
Also the bike won't idle at a consistent rpm after it is warmed up. It will idle at 950 this stop, next time I go to restart it will be 1400.The tech guy at Terry Components told me to warm up the bike, set the idle and then unhook the battery for a while so the ECM won't remember the old idle speed.Tried this, no luck.
Lastly , now that the bike has 1100 kms (about 700 miles) and I'm able to twist the wick a lot further, it backfires EVERY TIME, ALOT, and sometimes if I push the rpms close to the 5200 red line I get the red engine light coming on until I bring the rpms down and cruise for a few seconds.
I've been told to try recalibrating the TPS as the MM EFI is quite picky. This procedure requires someone with more ability than I have and the proper tools. Some kind of scanalizer I think.
I've called around and the closest shop with the right tools is about 4 hours away and at this point I don't have the time to spend a day getting this problem looked after.
It is possible the TPS adjustment will fix all the problems, but, I'm not real optimistic. Meanwhile I'll ride it like it is.
Overall , at this time I'm definately not impressed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.