V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 85 FXWG (Pre-Dyna Wide Glide, for the uninitiated).

I got a few parts I'm slapping on her, 16" apes, chrome hand controls, solo seat, lowering the suspension. All fine and good.

HOWEVER.... I want to paint her. No big deal, right? not exactly. The frame is painted dark purple (almost black) to match the metal. Trouble is, when (if) I paint the skins (it wont be purple, I assure you), that purple frame will positively jump out at you. SO, this means a paint job requires a complete tear-down.

I am reluctant to do that. I am a light-weight garage mechanic. I have had the transmission out myself, twice, out of necessity (I'm not exactly a credit-card mechanic) and that went ok. I've done some small mods, and have had the primary off (inner and outer), the rear end disassembled, and re-assembled.

Question is, is this a job a light-weight like me is capable of doing, tearing it down to the frame? Oh sure, its easy to tear down, but I do want to be able to RE-assemble it later, hehe.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well the back end and the trans and primary removal has gotten you almost there. Only thing left was the front end, very easy, and motor removal, also very easy.
Your biggest problem may be with the wiring harness. A bike that old has wires with old and stiff insulation and it is easy to crack somtimes. Get some wire ID tags and mark everything as you disconnect it.
Get a digital camera and document everyting as you take it apart and organize everything in plastic storage containers to keep them clean. Keep all the hardware for each part with the part and take your time. Get a note pad and document each bolt location and keep the notes with the parts.
If you do not have the H-D service manual and parts book get them both. The parts book gives good exploded views of everything.
You have gone most of the way already, there is no reason you can not do the entire job.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
What about choosing a paint scheme that works with the current frame color? It doesn't have to match, just have some accents that bring the colors together. If you're doing flames or something similar, put em on the down tubes too. You wouldn't need to strip the bike for that kind of work.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
yeah, what bear said.
i myself just got done disassembly on my 90 fxrs. it was truly easy to tear down, but like you said you want to be able to re assemble it also. don't see a problem if you do as your told, understand. i too used a digital camera and took numerous photos. also, the wiring harness.....what i did was label what i HAD to disconnect and then i pulled the entire harness out as one big piece basically. this way everything is still assembled without total disassembly.ziploc baggies and a black sharpie to put your nuts and bolts in and label each bag accordingly. with a digital cam you could even lay the bolts out on the part or on a piece of paper with each bolt labeled and take a pic of it that way also. documents! & notes! & pics! oh my!
this will be my rodeo too there bot, so maybe we can swim together on this one.
one note fer ya, when you disconnect your motor stabilizers, do not adjust them, if you have them they are your alignment for your motor and rear tire. this will ease your reassembly to some extent.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I have often seen bikes painted in ways I had trouble comprehending.

Good luck with your project. Go for it if you have the time.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
IMO purple ain't one of 'em.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nuff said.
I'm gonna go for it.
SWMBO says its OK ("How much for the paint job?")
I'll first simply get the garage ready, tidy it up, make sure there is plenty of storage for the parts, and go for it. If it fouls up, I'm huntin' y'all down, lol.

I guess I got buddies with enough knowledge, anyway. I do have one very well used manual, but I'll have to get the parts manual to accompany it.

Time really isn't an issue; I am very fortunate that my daily ride is an FLHTCI, so no down time will happen, even it takes me a whole year.

BTW- "incorporate the purple frame"?!

3 reasons to paint the frame:

1. its purple.
2. the paint is chipped, and finally,
3. its PURPLE.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Regardless of your skill level, it's a really big job. I would like to re-do the frame paint on my old Shovelhead but every time I think about the level of effort required and the fact that it could likely take me two months of spare time to get it back together I just forget about it.

I like the idea that someone above said to match the purple with some sort of accent on the new paint. This will save you a lot of trouble.

Problem is, there are lots of other things that can happen when you strip a frame. Someone else mentioned the wiring. Likely much of it is very hard and will get damaged when removed even though it's working right now. That's a big consideration as re-wiring a bike is a job in itself.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went through the same thing with my shovel several years ago. I ended up going down to the frame and having it electrostat painted. It took me a long time to finish it off, but it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. FWIW, the frame still looks excellent after 8 or 9 years.

an '85 wide glide is a seriously cool bike, one of HDs best IMHO. Great motor in one of the best looking frames ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts