V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals),

I have a 2007 deluxe with a bum rear wheel.
Its a 3/4 axle 16x3

My question is, what other models and years rear wheel will work even if a bearing change is needed?
Im looking for used rear wheels that need no shimming of rotors or brakes on my bike (same hub size?)

Oh, yes of course i know about the wheel size chart. It gives no info on hub size or axle size.
Again, im looking for bolt on other than a bearing change if axle size is different.

I see a lot if wheels say something like "2000-2006" then i see "2008 and up" amongst softail wheels.

Thanks in advance to those who have done more research or have done this more than i.
I have done many hours of google on this!

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Harley isn't very imaginative almost any rear wheel from 2000 and newer will work,,as you know the bearings and inner spacer may need changing,,,, the bolt patterns are all the same,, some of the later wheels like yours have a larger diameter brake rotor center hole, spacers are available if needed..

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
2000-2001 touring wheels will bolt right up 3/4" axle. 2002 - 2007 touring will work with a swap out of there 1" bearings to your 3/4" ones. 3.00" XL and Dyna wheels 2000 and later should work as well . The key is in the 3.00" width size and nothing larger!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies!

I just spotted a new take off 2012 flstn wheel locally (my bike is a 2007 flstn) and they have the same wheel size (16x3). Is there any reason i could not use this rear wheel with bearing adaptors or a bearing/spacer change? I dont believe that year has any abs or cush drive to bungle things up, but i dont know for sure. Hub width changes?

Btw I am collecting all information i learn and will hopefully make a softail website for easy access of info.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
motor for softail

So...I have a 2012 Softail deluxe with a 103 motor that has gone south with 80k+ miles.
I have found a Softail motor, primary and trans complete from a 2014. My question is, will the 2014 bolt into a 2012 frame without issues? Instead of rebuilding the customers motor with 80k on the clock he wants me to install this motor with 3k on it.
Just not 100% sure if it will fit.
I know that there were some changes from 2012 to 2013 but not sure what they are. or if they will affect the swap. I seem to remember that the output shaft on the motor changed in those years? ?s this correct?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
motor for softail

So...I have a 2012 Softail deluxe with a 103 motor that has gone south with 80k+ miles.
I have found a Softail motor, primary and trans complete from a 2014. My question is, will the 2014 bolt into a 2012 frame without issues? Instead of rebuilding the customers motor with 80k on the clock he wants me to install this motor with 3k on it.
Just not 100% sure if it will fit.
I know that there were some changes from 2012 to 2013 but not sure what they are. or if they will affect the swap. I seem to remember that the output shaft on the motor changed in those years? ?s this correct?
You would probably have better luck starting your own thread instead of posting in a thread about wheel sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts