V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my yearly CDL physical Thursday. Had the hearing test. Dr. said I have MAJOR hearing loss in my left ear. He asked how much "noise" I was around. Told him I ride motorcycles. I get a LOT of wind noise and my pipes aren't exactly quiet either. Anyway, he told me "you don't have much more to lose in your left ear. You need to be very careful with it." I'm not even supposed to run the lawn mower without protection for my ears. I wear half helmets, so I do get a lot of wind/pipe noise when riding. He TOLD me to get something that covers my ears when riding. So I'm up for an open face helmet, but want something that really gives good sound protection. Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Helmet

I just switched to the Bell Star. Write up's call it average to good in
the wind noise/quiet area. I also have damaged hearing and was wearing ear plugs with my half lid. Ear plugs and half lid WAY WAY
less noise. I am actually amazed at how noisy the full face is? Unless I wear plugs I still get "ringing" in the ears after a couple hours riding. With plugs it's almost too quiet.
Asking some sport bike riders about their Arais etc a number of them tell me that it's pretty common to wear ear plugs WITH a full face!!! . Point being, I don't think that my (our?) expectation that a full face helmet is a cone of silence is realistic.
I actually really like this helmet as I primarily bought it for warmth while riding in the winter. I will switch back to the half helmet in the spring.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I highly recommend Arai or you might look at the Bilt or Shark "flip up" helmets sold at Cycle Gear.
My two cents is you should switch to a full face with ear plugs, which will do more to save your hearing.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Ear plugs and either a full face or a modular helmet is the way to go. If I had your condition, I would seek advice on the best ear plugs. Construction workers, rock and roll musicians and others who work around a lot of noise often have custom made ear plugs. Protect what hearing you have left. It is precious.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
It don't matter what helmet or how much you pay for it, you need earplugs. You can go spend a couple hundred for custom plugs, or do the samething with the 2 examples above.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids, so I can sympathize with you. Too many years around rock & roll, aircraft turbine engines and Harleys. I ordered some awesome sound attenuating plugs with speakers in them so I can still listen to tunes from my audiologist. They were about $300, but are far superior to anything I have found at bike shows, etc. I am on my 2nd or 3rd HJC CS-5 helmet that does pretty good for noise at a reasonable cost. I also use a Nolan N100E for the Cold weather. Bell has a lighter 3/4 helmet that is nice but it won't fit the shape of my head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had my yearly CDL physical Thursday. Had the hearing test. Dr. said I have MAJOR hearing loss in my left ear. He asked how much "noise" I was around. Told him I ride motorcycles. I get a LOT of wind noise and my pipes aren't exactly quiet either. Anyway, he told me "you don't have much more to lose in your left ear. You need to be very careful with it." I'm not even supposed to run the lawn mower without protection for my ears. I wear half helmets, so I do get a lot of wind/pipe noise when riding. He TOLD me to get something that covers my ears when riding. So I'm up for an open face helmet, but want something that really gives good sound protection. Recommendations?
__________________[/QUOTE

I have the same problem. I'm thinking about having my ole lady sitting on the gas tank facing me naked with her legs wrapped around my ears. Just a thought though.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
__________________[/QUOTE

I have the same problem. I'm thinking about having my ole lady sitting on the gas tank facing me naked with her legs wrapped around my ears. Just a thought though.
Ahemmmm

!worthless

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
arai or shoei. men with parole issues should always wear a full face helmet.
think about it.
plus!!!! jeez! he punched me right in the helmet! i'll bet that really hurt! hahaha!

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
On long rides I wear a Shoei Qwest... It's the quietest helmet I have ever owned.. Earplugs with this helmet would protect your hearing pretty good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my yearly CDL physical Thursday. Had the hearing test. Dr. said I have MAJOR hearing loss in my left ear. He asked how much "noise" I was around. Told him I ride motorcycles. I get a LOT of wind noise and my pipes aren't exactly quiet either. Anyway, he told me "you don't have much more to lose in your left ear. You need to be very careful with it." I'm not even supposed to run the lawn mower without protection for my ears.
I also have hearing loss from many years of working in a powerplant. I have been wearing the disposable foam earplugs whenever I ride or am around loud noise. www.coopersafety.com is where I shop. I even wear safety glasses alot.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I wear Shoei helmets. Open face is the RJ Air and full-face is the Qwest. The Qwest is very quiet if fitted properly. However good the helmet it is no substitute for ear plugs.

I wear these. http://www.earplugsonline.com/ They are the most effective thing I have found. The downside is that once you have them in, you miss conversation from other riders. Small trade off in my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is actually quieter for me when just wearing earplugs without a helmet. The noise gets louder with the helmet on and earplugs. Something to do with the helmet and a bunch of other crap I dont know.

Ear plugs it is

·
Registered
142 Posts
I finally broke down and got the Shoei RJ. I've bought too many helmets over the years. I was going to finally go with an Arai or Shoei. I picked up the Shoei from Cycle Gear for a very good price. Plus I discovered that the Large fit me better; I would have ordered an XL online.

I'm sold. There's nothing better than a well fitted, quality lid. I'm very happy with the Shoei and the reduction of wind noise is phenomenal.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Super Seer makes helmets for pros (cops) that wear them all day every day. I wore mine for 26 hours straight in complete comfort.
I use foam ear plugs too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
<-- Shoei RF1100 plus ear plugs. Every single time. I've got some hearing loss too, from military and being a musician. I won't lose any more, I baby my ears now.

BTW, I'm convinced you hear a lot more on the road WITH ear plugs, because they filter out the white noise from wind, and they drastically reduce hearing fatigue. Frequencies like sirens and horns cut right through.

·
Banned
589 Posts
You can try what they do on the flight line in the Air Force: Stroll into the lingerie dept. at your local big box and pick up some "falsies" -- foam breast inserts. These fit into the ear holes in the helmet. You want to dampen the area AROUND your ears. Low freq. noise travels into the auditory realms through the bones in your head. When we're shooting, we wear the "muffs" rather than just sticking the foam plugs in the ear canals.

Not sure about the falsies . . . but I heard about it when I was in the service. The local dept. store couldn't figure out why they were selling so many, and mostly to men.

:D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hearing loss: God's gift to the married man.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts