V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, how is it possible to remove these race, (pressed in), (nott external mount nuck cups), there is a sleeve in between the top and bottom race. the sleeve is about the same exact diameter inside as the races inner. how then can the races be properly removed without damge to anything?

can the sleeve be slid to one side or the other to gain an "edge" which to drive the race out with?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
dashooter said:
.. there is a sleeve in between the top and bottom race. ...
I don't see a sleeve in the 1991-1992 Parts Manual. My 1984 did not have a sleeve and I just tapped the race out with a brass drift.

If you can move the sleeve, I'd push it to the side and work the race out with a drift.

I used a regular installation tool (Sears) to install the new race.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I use a long tapered punch from the opposite end, diagonally working one side of the race then the other. There is no sleeve, that's the metal. It is bored larger where the race is pressed in, there should be enough room for the punch to catch the race.

Seeing the date you posted shooter, I assume you got them out....

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually no, i haven't. i was advised to just leave them in. given the mileage.
but i think i will change them anyway. after getting everything back from powdercoat, i kinda noticed a glue or residue of sort that i had to sandpaper off. i see markings in the races but feel nothing, like stretch marks, ya know.
so, your saying that sleave i speak of is actually part of the neck itself, and that the inner portion of the neck is counter bored to accept the races.
thats what i thought but i wasn't sure.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
dashooter said:
..... i see markings in the races but feel nothing, like stretch marks, ya know......
What to the bearings look like? Are there streaks , pits, etc on some of the rollers?

BTW you might save yourself some money by purchasing the bearings at a bearing supply house rather than your HD dealer. The part number marked on the bearing/race is the same number regardless of the bearing manufacturer.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i already got 2 new bearings and races, so i plan on replacing both. the lower bearing is pressed on the triple tree, so obviously that and the dust shield got mangled. regardless, after seeing the new and comparing to the old i am gonna replace em while i am in there. thanks all.
oh by the way, they were like 60 for the set, races and bearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts