V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read (somewhere) about a tube like thing that you fill with ice and wrap around your neck while riding in hot weather. The ice keeps your neck cool obviously, then as the ice melts the cool water trickles down your shirt for more evaporative cooling. Anyone used or know where I might find something like that? My Better Half could whip one up on the sewing machine pretty easily, but I would like to hear of any experience with one of these. I was riding in 100 degree heat last week and I think that would have felt pretty good!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
A place I worked at for a while had some thing like that but it was filled with some kind of gel that didnt thaw as fast or..... Hell I dont know but it worked really well! Try a google search or maybe a outdoors shop or site.
JTS

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The gel pack is something our son uses in the kitchen, he is going through as a chef. You soak it in water and it stays cold for a long time. He says a couple of days. If this is of interest try a uniform supply place.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
http://empiresafety.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/miracool.html

Any good Safety Supply outlet will carry these; we used to get them issued out on the job site in the Australian desert, along with everything else including with heaps of Heat Stress training. The theory is that it cools the blood going to your brain and that controls the rest of you body functions. Should work real good while riding but you will need to re-wet it often. Hope that helps, John

·
Registered
8 Posts
My solution

I've had good luck by taking an oversized bandana and folding it, and then in one of the folds I will stick some small ice cubes, once tied around the neck it does a great job keeping you cool as the ice melts.

This made a 95 degree ride across Nebraska last month a lot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently read (somewhere) about a tube like thing that you fill with ice and wrap around your neck while riding in hot weather. The ice keeps your neck cool obviously, then as the ice melts the cool water trickles down your shirt for more evaporative cooling. Anyone used or know where I might find something like that? My Better Half could whip one up on the sewing machine pretty easily, but I would like to hear of any experience with one of these. I was riding in 100 degree heat last week and I think that would have felt pretty good!
They aren't filled with ice, but it's a water soaking up crystal, like is used in plants to help keep them watered better. Just a teaspoon full in the tube is all you need. When the crystals are soaked in water, they absorb like 10Xs as much as they are, and turn into a gel, which pretty much fills the tube, and then you just tie it around your neck. You can either soak them in cold or hot water to either cool or warm your neck. We bought some of the crystals online, and my wife made some of them. It's a bit of time and trial and effort to get the right amount of crystals, and sew up the pocket so they can't get out (they're pretty small when dry). If you want to make them, check landscaping supply places for the crystals. They work pretty well, and even better when the cool breeze is blowing over them while riding, but they tend to warm with your body temp within about an hour or so. The good part, though, is that all you need to do to "recharge" them is to soak them in cold water again. It only takes about 5-10 minutes for them to be completely full.

I just did a quick search, and found several "hydrogel crystals" that you could use. Amazon has a 3 lbs. bag for about $22.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Fear the walking dead,,, lol,, a 13 year gap between posts! Is it a record?! Zombies roam the internet world..
Apparently it's been cooler between 2005 and now.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Mike Mike Mike

What're we gonna do with you? You refuse to do your intro post, and then get way out in the 13 year old weeds to find a post important enough for your first contribution.

joe
Some of us look at the end of the finger instead of where it is pointing. Maybe Mike dosen't know where to start.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
Some of us look at the end of the finger instead of where it is pointing. Maybe Mike dosen't know where to start.
Are you gonna show him around?

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts