V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend. Did anyone go?? Awesome demonstrations of the F-15 Strike Eagle, F-22 Raptor, and F-18 Super Hornet. Blue Angels were awesome. Haven't seen them in about 20 years.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Blue Angels were here Labor Day weekend for St.Louis county Fair
They fly right over my pool and lake, to make their turns
They were only about 100-150 feet up
Awesome

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I'm the lucky one. I live 10 minutes from the Blue Angels flight line here in Pensacola. They fly practice shows almost every Tuesday and Wednesday morning at 0830. On Wednesdays the pilots go into the National Museum of Naval Aviaition and sign autographs. When I am out jogging or walking the dogs on those mornings I get to watch the Blues fly right over the neighborhood at several hundred feet.

If you are ever in Pensacola you can go watch the practice shows on base. You do not have to have a base decal..just show your driver's license and tell the gate guard you are going to the Blue Angels practice and to the museum. It's very easy to find but best to go in the back gate. (Maps on Google.)

I never get tired of watching them. They fly their last show here in November and then a short time later they head out to El Centro, California to get their program together for the next year and train the new members of the team. So, if you live in the El Centro area you can probably go on base during the winter months and watch them practice there too. Not sure though.

Jawrider, I worked in St. Louis in 1980 at McDonnell Aircraft and was a QA Inspector in the Experimental and Final Assembly areas and worked on some of the very first F-18s and F-15 Strike Eagles...when they first installed the conforming fuel tanks. Of course they shared the runway at Lambert and when the F-18s or F-15s would take off they would do what is called a Viking takeoff. That means as soon as they are off the ground they point the nose to the sky and head straight up within the boundaries of the field...for "noise abatement". Climb to 8,000 ft, roll over on their back and and then upright.

Nothing more exciting than a group of Hornets blasting by at about 150 feet and 550 mph. BOOM!!!!!...almost.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I didn't go this past weekend, but I've been many times over the years. It's always fun but the crowds suck. Oceana used to be my backyard (literally) gotta love the jet noise! F-14s were bad but those F-18s are LOUD!! They are awesome to watch though, especially when they're practicing for a show.

Don't know if you heard but there was a fatal crash before the show. Civilian in the Geico Skywriters lost control and crashed.... At least he went the way he wanted too...

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=131985&ran=6110

·
Registered
442 Posts
We parked out in the parking lot for London Bridge Trading company on London Bridge Blvd and seen darn near the entire show without fighting the crowds. Sat in lawn chairs and drank beer . Cops cruised the parking lot and never said a word. The one that went straight up into a speed stall then rolled over on its back to loop and go up was darn impressive and loud as all heck. The fly over that had 4 different era's of warplanes was kick azz . The show gives me goosebumps. I took my dad that retired from the service as an A-6 pilot. He gets a tear in his eye watching them.
Great show.
BC

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
YankeeBob, I didn't know you were down here this weekend. I guess you were visiting the daughter. You should have looked me up. If your still here PM me!
BB

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bbrowncods said:
YankeeBob, I didn't know you were down here this weekend. I guess you were visiting the daughter. You should have looked me up. If your still here PM me!
BB
Ya know, I honestly didn't think about it until I got there. Then it was too late. My bad! I cruised the attachment booths looking for CODS or Rawhide, but didn't see one. I bougt a t-shirt from my S.I.L's attachment. The VFA-106 "Gunslingers".
I flew down Thursday night, kids picked me up at the airport. Went to the show Friday (service families only) and Saturday. Then the three of us flew up to Baltomore Sunday for the Sox/Orioles game. After the game, I flew back to NH and the kids back to Norfolk.
I had a great weekend with them!

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Just my opinion but I will always believe that the F-14 Tomcats are the baddest of the bad. They are retired now but nothing else comes close to the power and noise those bears could make. They are the ONLY aircraft to carry the liquid cooled Phoenix missile....track 24 separate targets, shoot at 6 different ones at the same time, up to 60 miles away....and they had that capability over 2 DECADES ago. What a piece of machinery.

No wonder Top Gun was a super hit.

Tomcat: "Any Time, Any Place, Baby" !!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I went back to college at 30 and interned at Lockheed my final year. That was in '95 I believe and there were only two F-22's made and they were prototypes. Got to see them up close a couple times. Once had Pratt-Whitney engines and the other GE. When PW won the bid, GE was there the next day and practically tore the engines out of the prototype.

A buddy of mine - his brother in law was in the very first class of F-22 pilots. He used to fly F-15B's when he was selected. Now he trains pilots on the F-22. He says when the flying the F-22 against a host of other jets, F-14, F-15, F-18 - its just not fair to them. They don't stand a chance in hell against the F-22.

"Gutsy move I ever saw Mav"

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I get to see the 22 almost every day, but I work at Langley. If you ever get a chance to see their demo pilot make sure you go. I love the Blue Angles, but dam that 22 can do some things that just has to been seen to believe.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The announcer said the F-22 was cleared to demonstrate 25% of its capability. That 25% was pretty impressive sh!t!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nail on the Head!!

steveusmc said:
Just my opinion but I will always believe that the F-14 Tomcats are the baddest of the bad. They are retired now but nothing else comes close to the power and noise those bears could make. They are the ONLY aircraft to carry the liquid cooled Phoenix missile....track 24 separate targets, shoot at 6 different ones at the same time, up to 60 miles away....and they had that capability over 2 DECADES ago. What a piece of machinery.

No wonder Top Gun was a super hit.

Tomcat: "Any Time, Any Place, Baby" !!!
You sure hit the nail on it's head here steve! I worked on them from 1983 to their death. VF-21 and VF-111 and two tours on an Airwing staff. I'm at CNATT now on NAS Pensacola and get the show right over our head in the smoke pit! Hope to run into ya someday cruising down the road. I'm up off of 9 Mile and Pine Forest.

r/ George

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
was stationed at NASO in A6 squadron VA-35. saw 3 of the airshows there. Even back then it was one of the best shows I have been to.
By far the best sounding F ever was the F-4.
There was a reason it was called the Phantom.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
George,
Sent you a PM. People that haven't been up close and personal with a Tomcat can't really appreciate just how big and mean they are. They make an F-15 or Raptor look like a tinker toy...but hell, at over $300 MILLION per copy, the F-22 should be able to do some fancy flying.

You got it right also Ahar.....that F-4 was right in there also. "Whistling shitcan", "Lead Sled", and proves that "anything will fly if you put big enough engines on it". Doesn't the F-4 still hold a record for coast to coast flight? Not counting the SR-71 of course...HABU.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The Dayton Air Show usually has a lot of cool planes. Every year my boss and I talk about going up to get some IR data of the flights. I hope we get asked to see the JSF once it gets put into full production. We supply some equipment on them. Never got to sit in any planes but when I worked for Northrop they had an Apache fly in for display. It sure is tight quarters in those things!{salute(

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
forgot the whistling shitcan, thanks for that.

the Angels also practice over Glamis in SoCal. nothing like out duning and watching the Angels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts