V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm officially tired of this natural light photography being given as a reason for poor photography. I've had an ongoing battle with my daughter over this and she claims the over exposed pictures she takes is due to this recent trend in this bullshit natural light photography term. To me it's more of an excuse for not understanding lighting.

She's attempting to launch a photography business and while she does a fantastic job of creative and interesting shots, I just cannot get her to understand that she is going to limit her audience if she doesn't get with the program and start understanding how lighting works and that a camera doesn't see things the same way as the human eye.

She says everyone she has done pictures for likes these over exposed shots and that's what natural light photography is all about, but it drives me nuts because that's just not true. I can see if you're doing it on purpose for one reason or another, but for this to be the norm I believe is going to hurt her in the long run. What say you folks?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I think it's a style any photographer should be familiar with, but should not use exclusively. I'm a hack with a good eye for composition and luckily, if I slightly over or underexpose a shot, then Adobe Lightroom is there to save it for me.

That said, if there are mopes that will pay for over-exposed shots labeled as "natural light", then she needs to keep separating those fools from their money. Last time I checked none of my bodies have a "natural" setting on the dial though.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's a style any photographer should be familiar with, but should not use exclusively. I'm a hack with a good eye for composition and luckily, if I slightly over or underexpose a shot, then Adobe Lightroom is there to save it for me.

That said, if there are mopes that will pay for over-exposed shots labeled as "natural light", then she needs to keep separating those fools from their money. Last time I checked none of my bodies have a "natural" setting on the dial though.
Agreed. I have no problem with her overexposing pics, but my contention is she needs to understand why it happens and how to prevent it because not everyone is going to be happy with that sort of thing. She also needs to stop thinking that's just what natural light looks like. I think she's getting a lot of her info from people that claim to be professional photographers and really don't have a clue.

The real issue here is what every parent faces and that is your kids think you don't know sh!t about anything and the Internet is gospel.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
After looking at under & overexposed images online {aren't computers great :clap:} each has its place, in the eye of the beholder. I do like some of the "over exposed" models...:boobies:

Sound like she is taking whatever shows up, not actually composing the pics...Does she really want the shots to be "burnt out" or is that just what shes getting?

I was told in a photo class, a long time ago "There are lots of just RICH people that have nothing better to do than take lots of pictures with THE best equipment..."

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess they don't start learning with the Pentax K 1000 anymore do they?
Yea. Like a lot of people these days getting their pilot's license shouldn't be trusted in an airplane you actually have to fly.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After looking at under & overexposed images online {aren't computers great :clap:} each has its place, in the eye of the beholder. I do like some of the "over exposed" models...:boobies:

Sound like she is taking whatever shows up, not actually composing the pics...Does she really want the shots to be "burnt out" or is that just what shes getting?

I was told in a photo class, a long time ago "There are lots of just RICH people that have nothing better to do than take lots of pictures with THE best equipment..."
She for the most part takes whatever comes and then falls back on Photoshop, but my point to her is she NEEDS to learn why she gets what she gets. Her response is pretty much like any kid, that being I'm out of touch with the modern world and this is what people want now. Sounds a lot like the way Obama thinks, but I digress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts