V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have switched their narrow front ends to a mid or wide glide? Which Kit did you use, cost, and finally post pics if possible from front of bike!
This would be a helpful poll for the many contemplating this mod.

Obviously FXWG Wide Glide folks need not apply: :duh?:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Narrow is for me. I was raised with sportsters and always loved the narrow front ends. That was a large reason why I bought an 04 FXDL. FL with an XL front end. I aint a big fan of the eyebrow, however.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
mailman said:
Narrow is for me. I was raised with sportsters and always loved the narrow front ends. That was a large reason why I bought an 04 FXDL. FL with an XL front end. I aint a big fan of the eyebrow, however.
I allways liked the narrow front end also but I think my 01 FXDL looks a little odd with the wide tank and narrow front end. I think many of us out there are thinking about this mod.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I could go either way, can't make up my mind. I think that i will stay with the stock superglide front end, did put mini ape and braided lines. Wired internally bike looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I have an 05 Low Rider, love it. I started riding around 1968, and lean mean motorcycles were always my favorite. The big, wider FL front ends always looked heavy to me. The WG front end is ok, but I like the narrow front end. Just an opinion, but you buy what you want, and I will do the same. Ride safe.

Thorns

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
The later narrow front ends have 39mm fork tubes. And to me, they don't look the best in a wideglide configuration. I have however installed many of the midglide conversions using the 39mm tubes and I really like the look of them. I have installed them on Sportsters, Dyna's and FXR's.

To do the install, it will require some wire re-routing and a custom bullet style headlight. Cost is about $450 for the conversion and whatever a headlight costs.

This is the kit I used to install.

http://vulcanworks.net/catalog/39mm-Triple-Trees-p-1-c-33.html

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Assuming you mean me, I don't have any pictures. I used to work for the company that manufactures these and did many installs but never took any pictures. Sorry.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Thorns said:
I have an 05 Low Rider, love it. I started riding around 1968, and lean mean motorcycles were always my favorite. The big, wider FL front ends always looked heavy to me. The WG front end is ok, but I like the narrow front end. Just an opinion, but you buy what you want, and I will do the same. Ride safe.

Thorns
@gree: I like them all. Fell for the original SG when it first came out and like mailman said - HD's idea was to graft the Sportster front end to the FL chassis -- and voila!... A classic! Gotta love it.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
phreak_of_natur said:
Big phan of the mid-glide. The wide glide is too wide phor my tastes, and the narrow glide, Sporty phrontend is too skinny.
Phuk it then and stick with what's most phun phor you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rick,
I did a mid glide on my FXDL using 3 deg Hawghalters trees. The mid glide looks right in proportion, I don't like the WG conversions as they start looking like toothpicks with the 39mm tubes. If you want to use raked trees I would not rake anything other than a lowrider as they have a 32deg rake vs the 28 deg FXD ( except the new models which are now all 29 deg.) Getting rid of the visor made it all worth it to me. I like the ng but hate the visor. The people at Hawghalters have also been some of the best to deal with, as I did have a spacer issue that was quickly resolved. I'm not sure if I can post pics without being a prem. member:dunno:

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
mtnkarter said:
Rick,
...... I'm not sure if I can post pics without being a prem. member:dunno:
You can post pics by attaching them, but you woun't be able to see them after you post them. You can also use a picture hosting service like photobucket or your own hosting and then embedding the pics like so....

·
Banned
871 Posts
rickr01 said:
How many have switched their narrow front ends to a mid or wide glide? Which Kit did you use, cost, and finally post pics if possible from front of bike!
This would be a helpful poll for the many contemplating this mod.

Obviously FXWG Wide Glide folks need not apply: :duh?:
Not me. It handles fine the way it is (even before adding the steering damper). Narrow frontends are more stable on twisty roads, where I do most most of my riding. :yes:

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No misinterpretation here!

Hey guys,

I'm one of the all time defenders of the narrow glide front end! I like the look of a fat bob behind the narrow forks. Kinda outlaw sinister looking commin at ya! I was curious however about those making the changes etc, as asked.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stev1955 said:
Here's a front view of my 02 superglide with a wide front end. Sure I'd like to have the 49mm tubes but I don't got 'em.

That looks nice Steve, have to admit it! How about one side view and some info on the kit?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Here is my Street Bob that I converted to a wide glide with the 49mm tubes. I just had to switch out the tripple trees. I did it to get the 21 inch wheel on it and I am glad I did. It handles just fine from mid to wide. I think there was more of a difference with the wide wheel to narrow wheel change. I tends to find the ruts in the road and track them easyer but I have gotten used to it now.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
floyd78 said:
Here is my Street Bob that I converted to a wide glide with the 49mm tubes. I just have to switch out the tripple trees. I did it to get the 21 inch wheel on it and I am glad I did. It handles just fine from mid to wide. I think there was more of a difference with the wide wheel to narrow wheel change. I tends to find the ruts in the road and track them easyer but I have gotten used to it now.

Thats very sweet Floyd. You have to remember that the street bob conversion is a bit easier on the eyes as it's already a mid glide with 49mm tubes. Many earlier Dyna's had the narrow with 39's. Nice Job and thaks for posting the pics and info. Thats the info we are after on these conversions.:thanks:

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
Does anyone know where to find some pics of a bike with the mid-glide conversion kit? I personally don't like the look of the wide glide but have never seen the mid.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts