V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I am looking to convert my 02 FXDL's narrow glide front end to a mid/wide glide front end. I would also like to eliminate the headlight visor and replace it with a lower mounting headlight.
Has anyone done this in the past and have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mat.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I too want to put a wide glide conversion kit on my 2002 FXD and am waiting to receive a kit that is on backorder. I ordered one that accepts the stock visor but seems there are more available that have bottom mount trees. Steel or billet, take your choice. LOL

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yo....Steve,

I grew up in Catasauqua, Pa and now live in Allentown. Drop me a line if you want to get together. I'd also like to hear more about your wide glide conversion (ie, who makes it and who will install it).

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, this is also what I'd like to do to my 2002 Blue/Diamond Ice Low Rider! I believe, from the research I've done to this point, you'd need a mid-glide triple tree conversion kit and that's all. I'd like to find one that accepts my stock headlight configuration also. I also plan to upgrade the suspension with the Racetech front fork kit and springs as well as Progressive rear shocks. I understand, in the particular configuration I'm considering, this will "raise" the bike approximately one-half inch, which is appealing to me. The only problem I foresee is finding a windshield which mounts to mid-glide forks. Is this going to be difficult to find?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jaybee,

Check out www.accutronix.com they have the mid glide trees with the ability to mount your stock headlight and visor. Also, check out Custom Cycle Engineering (website not up and running yet but they have their phone # listed at site) Custom Cycle will have everything you need as well...Custom Cycle also gives you the option of getting rid of your stock headlight and headlight visor and allow you to use a bottom mounting headlight. It also allow you to run your visor lights into the triple trees.
I have done alot of research on this, but have found few people who have tried this. The biggest problem is when you try to eliminate the visor, you are left with a bunch of wires that used to terminate in the visor "idiot" light (ie. directionals, oil, high beam).
Also if you change to a mid glide triple tree setup you will probably need axle spacers.
Sorry, can't help with the windshield or racetech suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Also don't forget most, if not all, of these conversion kits do not work with the stock fork lock. The stem has to be modified. I believe only H-D uses this kind of fork lock on it's frames. I hear a semi-circular slot has to be ground out of the stem to accept the lock, if you want to lock the forks.
Hey, fxdl2002, moved up here to Catty from Houston three years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i would recommend the storz ceriani inverted forks for your dyna. mid would be perfect. go for all out chrome! good looks and performance in one neat package.

as for lights, i would go for tradewinds.... has the bottom mount...billet look without the billet price...

·
Registered
1 Posts
FXDL Mid glide conversion

Hi, anyone converted their narrow glide to a mid glide front end on a FXDL? Ive looked into Kennedy, ness, Custom cycle. Just not real sure how it will look and I'm havinga hard time finding any completed conversion pics.
Thanks in advance, KC

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's a thread from October 03. I need to post more pics of the fender I used after going to a wideglide. The Ness 39mm trees (@ $500.00) let you keep your tubes and legs and the fork lock. Cheaper than going to 41mm unless you get a great deal. The headlight was 150.00 from Custom Chrome. You can spend more....

You need to move wiring and connectors under the tank if you get rid of the visor. Good time to chrome the lowers too.

Going with a wideglide versus a midglide means you get rid of the spacer if you upgrade your front wheel to something with wideglide hubs.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33481&highlight=tfstrum

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have not installed a midglide yet, however I ditched the visor, put my mounted my headlight to the bottom mount, and moved the idiot lights to a custom handlebar clamp.

You can order a FXR2 handlebar clamp and it has a place for the idiot lights. You can also order the top triple tree cover for the FXR2 or sportster custom if you stay with the narrow glide front end. I am reseaching raking my frame, neck cups or something to add some rake to my Dyna Superglide Frame. Then I will probably go with Custom cycle Engineerings mid glide front end.
JR

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm just about to fit a kennedy wideglide to my friends 2000 fxd this weekend it turned up today as with all steve kennedys stuff it is flawless and this is the third one I'll be fitting so I know its going to fit about $960.00us and it can be ordered with the headlight hole on the bottom triple clamp so you can fit a wideglide type headlight later on,there website is www.kennedyprecision.co.nz

·
Registered
33 Posts
I powder coated my fork lowers and installed a wide glide conversion from Arlen Ness. Also all new chrome controls, bottom mount headlight, and fork-mounted turn signals. Pretty easy job, did it in conjunction with a frame rake. I'm still putting all the pieces back together and fabbing a bar mounted LED indicator light panel to go with a Dakota Digital speedo. I should be done by the weekend, I'll post some pics then. And yes, the fork lock still works just fine.

John

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Why????

:confused: Hey All

Why change the narrow glide which handles so nice and was long considered the first factory custom to a wide glide. If I wanted a wide glide I would have bought one. To each his own but I think that looking at a narrow glide front end coming at me with the riders legs pushed forward in a comfortable spot on the foward pegs and that fat tank behind it looks awesome.

With a fork brace the narrow glide fork handles 100% better then a wide glide. I left the narrow glide in place and chromed the lowers, and cleaned up the look by moving the speedo to a homade bracket and pushing it back and down, and purchasing a smooth lower mount type headlight. looks really sick!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys new too the forum google helped me find this thread. Im wondering if anyone here can help me. I have an 87 FSXT O bought from a friend who bought it from some one The bike was built into an FXSTC with a wide glide front end. Someone was comparing my bike too a 2000 super glide with a wide glide front end His fenders had spacers in between the forks and the fenders mine does not Im being told that my fender bracket mounts wert bent too fit the fork mounts Im not buying it all my research shows no spacers for my bike.Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
39mm ''soda straw'' forks look like crap in those wide conversion trees. Same with those spacers behind the brake discs.

Real Harley Wide Glides use 41mm forks.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm running 41mm tubes WG 3" over with progressive rate springs and gold valves. 1989 FXRS Absolutely no complaints. Hard corners great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts