V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put up my '05 FXST for the winter on Nov. 2, and now she has sprung a leak....

(see photo-if I can get it loaded-:unsure: )

the leak is high enough up that there is oil on the lower part of drive belt, seems to be between the two arrows.....

any help would be great; I'd like to be on top of it when she goes in for service this spring.

:hmmm:

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Is it transmission or motor oil? Smell/color difference helps to determine type of the oil
If he is running Syn3 (or anything ekse) in all three holes, that would be a difficult question to answer.

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
you need to start touching stuff under the bike. Often times the place where the oil drips off the bike isn't where it is leaking from. Start directly above the spot. There could be a hanging drop ready to go. the try to follow where it is wet. Look above that part too. After looking at your picture, I would start buy looking at the underside of the swingarm pivot. I would also feel around under the oil tank. Oil could be dripping on to the pivot and following it to the lowest point where it then drips off. They also make a fluorescent die you can put in the oil and then drive or run the bike a little. Then wait for the oil to drip and use a black light, you will find it then for certain.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
hogster said:
I put up my '05 FXST for the winter on Nov. 2, and now she has sprung a leak....

(see photo-if I can get it loaded-:unsure: )

the leak is high enough up that there is oil on the lower part of drive belt, seems to be between the two arrows.....

any help would be great; I'd like to be on top of it when she goes in for service this spring.

:hmmm:
Here's an old, cheap but simple way to find any leak that's not obvious.
Clean the entire engine & drivetrain totally and let dry completely. Now take your bike for a good ride and bring her home, shut her down. After a very short wait, put talcom powder or equivilent on every seam/joint where two parts meet with bolts/gaskets on the engine and drivetrain. If there is a real leak or seapage, you'll see the oil turn the powder dark where it is coming from.
Let us know what you find out.

BTW, I'm not a paying member so I can't view your pictures. Sorry if this idea won't help you out..

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I had a similar leak on my '00 FXST. It turned out that my hand-tightened oil filter (per the stealership's instructions) wasn't tight enough. A half-turn with an oil filter wrench fixed it quick. Just a thought :cheers:

·
Registered
822 Posts
On my 04 FXST I had a leak like that once. Was coming out the tranny vent hose. I'd slightly over filled the tranny. It just a little over the full mark. I'd go riding and then I'd find a small puddle like that after I'd parked it a while.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maxum96 said:
On my 04 FXST I had a leak like that once. Was coming out the tranny vent hose. I'd slightly over filled the tranny. It just a little over the full mark. I'd go riding and then I'd find a small puddle like that after I'd parked it a while.
That happens if your engine is running a bit hotter than usual, for example when breakin in. After that period passes then it should return to normal.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Also check your battery's vent line. Is your drive belt tight. Really tight?? If so, I'd bet on the out put pully's seal.

·
Registered
487 Posts
a common leak would be starter shaft seal or inner primary not a common

1 - 12 of 12 Posts