V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 02' FLHTCI there is a short (.5 second) whistle sound coming from near the air intake when I turn the engine off, just as the engine stops turning. It doesn't happen every time. I was told it's normal...not to worry. Can any one tell me where the noise it commong from?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Just pressure escaping from the combustion chamber, due to a valve not being not fully closed depending on where the motor stops turning.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess that's possible, but seems strange that I never heard it on my 88' FLHTC and I put 93k miles on it. Also forgot to mention, on the whistler, I have SE-air box, sampson slip-ons, and reflash. I can't remember if I ever heard the whistle when it was stock.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The SE air cleaner setup makes the noise more noticeable. The stock setup with the enclosed backing plate dulled the sound. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm not even gonna say it.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
srb8267 said:
On my 02' FLHTCI there is a short (.5 second) whistle sound coming from near the air intake when I turn the engine off, just as the engine stops turning. It doesn't happen every time. I was told it's normal...not to worry. Can any one tell me where the noise it commong from?
I think you're referring to a sucking type sound from the air cleaner when you shut off the bike?

You'll only get this after changing to the SE air cleaner, I never heard this when using the stock cleaner. Had this happen on both my current roadking and a sportster. Its normal, what happens is after you shut off the bike the pistons are still moving, the downward stroke will suck air through the cleanr making the sound you hear.

Don't worry about it. If you don't believe me put the stock airbox back on and you'll not hear it. The SE AC also makes the piston noises louder, if given a choice I would have used the stock airbox and replaced the OEM filter with a K&N and drilled a few holes in the stock airbox. Quieter running and ease of disassembly. The SE AC is a pain to install, so many small parts, washers, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts