1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*BOYCOTT NOTICE*

BIKERS BOYCOTT MYRTLE BEACH
by Bill Bish

During the early morning hours of May 18, 2002 a couple riding a motorcycle were killed at the Myrtle Beach Spring Bike Rally when Lance Cpl. James J. Costello proceeded through a yield sign and collided with them in his unmarked Horry County Police cruiser.

Just prior to the Fall Motorcycle Rally, Horry County Solicitor Greg Hebree decided not to charge the 15-year veteran in the deaths of the two motorcyclists, Victoria Lee Zickafoose of Georgia and Charles Eugene Heyde Sr. of Michigan.

"For many years the local government and police force have been far less than biker friendly," according to a press release by the Sons of Liberty Riders, a motorcyclists rights organization that rides the information super-highway as an Internet discussion group. "However, the latest incident and failure to bring appropriate charges has motivated bikers to take action."

SoLR has called for a boycott of Myrtle Beach, and bikers from across the country are now supporting the boycott action, including ABATE of South Carolina where the Myrtle Beach rallies are held.

"The purpose of the boycott is to educate the general public on some of the injustices served on only some classes of citizens, while bringing economic woe on those that promote the injustices," says the SoLR. "Horry County had the opportunity to prosecute the guilty and failed."

Police investigators insist that there is not enough evidence to support charges or disciplinary action, and an article in The Sun News suggests that, "Grand Strand officials say they aren't worried about motorcyclists' plans to boycott the Myrtle Beach area," and hope that their effort will fizzle as memories fade prior to the spring Harley-Davidson rally.

But bikers from as far away as Maryland, Pennsylvania and Iowa are upset about the way the two motorcyclists' deaths were handled during this year's May rally, the paper stated.

"Through the power of the Internet e-mail system, I was informed of this tragedy," Mary Bowen-Brown of Mechanicsville, Maryland, told The Sun News. "Once the e-mails are forwarded and contacts are made through different bike organizations, you can believe there will be thousands of bikers making their decisions not to return to Myrtle Beach this spring and fall."

Stephanie Durham of Jacksonville, Florida, Zickafoose's sister, doesn't ride a motorcycle but is planning on coming to the May rally. "[I want to] basically express my discontent with the way things were handled," she said. "I want it to be known that this happened and this is not going to be covered up or forgotten about."

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
"Police investigators insist that there is not enough evidence to support charges or disciplinary action,..."

Let's see now. A unmarked Horry county cruiser proceeding through a yield sign and collides with the motorcycle. A Bro and Sister dead.

This Greg Hebree must be an incompetent fucker if he can't determine that the cruiser failed to yield the right of way. What other evidence does he need? :mad:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
NCFatBoy

I have attended the Myrtle Beach spring rally for 19 straight years. From the actions of all the local governments in the area over the years, I am of the opinion that a boycott of this rally would be something similar to throwing a rabbit in a brier patch. The majority of city, county and state officials would absolutely love this arrangement.

Successful efforts to attract country music singers and all the $$$$$$$$$$$$ they bring (mimicking Branson, Mo.), should be enough to offset the monies left by the bikers. It must be working, anyone seen all the new entertainment centers in addition to all of the other new tourist traps, I mean attractions?

"Notice" Biker trash $$$$$$ no longer needed to support the Myrtle Beach area economy. Thanks for your previous contributions but you are encouraged to take your greasy $$$$$$$ elsewhere!!!!!

Something similar to Cherokee, North Carolina. For over twenty years I was in attendance every April and September at this rally. Then, gambling was legalized five or six years ago.This new source of revenue, one that last 12 months a year, (not just a few weekends) was enough to send the bikers packing. All of a sudden biker trash who been paying double and triple room and meal rates were no longer welcome. Suddenly, we became a bunch of felons, sex offenders, drunks and just general hellraisers!!!! For twenty years before poker and blackjack arrived we were welcome by the tribal council, banners placed over the roads at every entrance to the village, which read "Welcome Bikers" A year or two passed, the person who was responsible for the expulsion of the bikers the (principle chief), was subsequently voted out herself by angry tribal members. Once this fine lady was sent packing, tribal members invited bikers and their $$$$$$ back to the reservation. Seems as if us bikers were not as bad as the chief would like to have everyone believe. Although she along with a few of her anti-biker friends almost pulled it off.
Just offering a short piece of history and a simlar comparison, not sure what the solution to this dilemma who be. Apparently, $$$$$$ control the economy of this area just as they do where I live. So, why not mount a campaign directed toward the business community. Surely, there is enough political clout within this group of taxpayers to get the attention of their brilliant leaders. My 4 cents worth :confused:

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Hmmm... Have to keep this in mind. I went to MB Bike Week a couple years ago. I know we had an issue with finding a place to stay that would allow motorcycles, but I think some of that has to do with the so-called "Black Bike Week" (no offense to anyone).

Folks I talked to in MB said that the "other" bike week ended up causing a lot of problems, so they seem to be trying to find ways to discourage bikers.

Can't see as how a boycott would make them too upset - it could be just what they want.

Too bad it takes the loss of 2 innocent bikers to forward that idea...

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
And another idea!

I'm generally of the view that people are sue happy. This is not one of those occasions.

I certainly hope the families of the dead bikers bring a wrongful death suit against the appropriate local gov't entity and the individual officer. I saw nothing in the report about him being involved a chase or other action that would give him immunity.

Another bite out of the billfold may make these folks rethink their lack of remorse. The boycott will generate an indirect loss to the MB area. A large court award will be very visible for everyone to see.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Usually, I'm anti-lawyer/anti-lawsuit, but Pasadenajim makes a valid arguement!
This crap is a friggin' shame!!!!!!!
We won't be going back, & I've made most of the last 15 yrs!
I've seen many incidents by the local yokels that were atrocious.
Count us out!
bear & distantstorm

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Passed this on to my brother who has gone past 3 years and told him to pass it on to his friends.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you think Myrtle Beach dose'nt want us there, why would you go? The posted sign also includes ABATE and MSO patches and shirts.
The big rallies are getting to be a pain in the a$$, go to Laconia or Sturgis and there are so many police they damn near can hold hands around town.
Go to the small private events like Rendezvous, Behind the barn, AmJam and such where you can let down your hair, raise a little hell and have a good time. They also are a hell of alot cheaper than the triple rate rallies.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yea this is a shame!!! You can bet that if some non Police folk did this there would be charges filed.
All of the bigger ralleys don't seem to want the bikers? I don't get it?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
NCFatBoy, Would you happen to have a link to the original article? I've been telling folks about this incident and all I get is "Oh, that's some kind of BS because you know how crap gets started on the net". I feel you wouldn't have made up any kind of article about 2 people getting killed(which we know happened) and no one(i.e. police officer) getting charged.

08:25 12/20/02 - Update - Nevermind, I found it: https://mail.aimncom.com/Lists/cyclenews/Message/46.html

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just a thought.

A law suit is what's needed in this situation. Police are NOT immune from being responsible. It was mentioned that he was not in a chase. This wouldn't matter. Laws will protect and support the public [even against police] in acts of total stupidity! Think about chases. The situation now has to justify the chase and if someone is hurt/killed, even the person being chased, you' d better damn well hope it was a felon being chase and even then they have to be an immediate threat to society if they are allowed to go!

This guy made an serious error. Just as we all do from time to time. Hell, I was stopped speeding [private vehicle] 93/55 which was 'total stupidity' on my part but fortunately it didn' t cause death of an innocent person. I assure you if someone [laywer] pursued this, justice would be served if all the facts are as outlined in this thread.

·
Registered
903 Posts
King Rider said:
A law suit is what's needed in this situation. Police are NOT immune from being responsible. It was mentioned that he was not in a chase. This wouldn't matter. Laws will protect and support the public [even against police] in acts of total stupidity! Think about chases. The situation now has to justify the chase and if someone is hurt/killed, even the person being chased, you' d better damn well hope it was a felon being chase and even then they have to be an immediate threat to society if they are allowed to go!

This guy made an serious error...
I agree with most things you've said. Even though in chases, which this officer was not involved in, the person being chased "initiates" the persuit. If not he would just pull over like he's supposed to. All the officer has to justify is that the person is causing a reckless endangerment and an immediate threat to the public in the manner he's driving, which is usually the case unless he just refuses to stop. When he just refuses to stop there is no accident 99% of the time. As far as I've seen this officer was not enroute to any call or anything or I'm sure it would have been noted in the report. Like you said, it looks like this guy just made a serious error. Things are run differently from place to place but around here this officer would be in serious trouble. Then again, this is just seeing it at face value.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did any of you read the reports?????? Bike traveling at an estimated 82 MPH!!!!!!! For a BOSS HOSS v8 bike that wouldn't be hard to believe, seems you would have to like speed to have a v8 on 2 wheels.. I am not saying both were not at fault but I am sure 82 is over the speed limit??

·
Registered
903 Posts
effle18 said:
Yea this is a shame!!! You can bet that if some non Police folk did this there would be charges filed....
Not necessarily. A couple of years back a police officer was jogging down the side of the road and a teenage girl accidently ran him over and killed him. No charges were filed against her. She stated that she sneezed and was unable to keep her eyes open while doing so. Another situation was a couple of years back too where a Trooper was assisting a motorist when he was struck by a teenage motorist's car. He got a ticket for careless driving, but no criminal charges. Why this officer got nothing is beyond me but is worth investigating, although more times than not the whole truth is not revealed by the media as to put a "spin" on the story.

·
Registered
903 Posts
bruuuuce said:
Bike traveling at an estimated 82 MPH!!!!!!!

MORE of the truth comes out slowly...

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
That being said, does the 82MPH speed negate the officer's failure to yield right-of-way? So just because the bike is speeding, anyone can pull out in front of it and that's cool? As long as we have that straightened out is all that matters, I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm all for the cop getting what he deserves, But if in fact the bike was going 82MPH what was the speed limit? He could have been doing 2-3 times the legal limit. It's safe to say that the speed limit wasn't over 55mph if there was a cross road. The point i'm getting at is that it would be hard to judge the closing rate of the bike if he was going that fast. ANother thing is I doubt a Boss Hoss has the stopping power or handling of a FZR600. Not a good situation on either side of the story. I doubt the cop is celebrating the fact that he took out 2 people.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Unome said:
That being said, does the 82MPH speed negate the officer's failure to yield right-of-way? So just because the bike is speeding, anyone can pull out in front of it and that's cool? As long as we have that straightened out is all that matters, I guess.

You will never see a "Support Your Local COP" button on my vest, and I am all for supporting Bikers Rights BECAUSE I simply supports PEOPLES Rights.

If the Rider was traveling 82, and the limit was 55 or below, it would be tough to judge the distance of a single headlamp.

Failure to yeild is dependent on certain conditions. In some mergeing yeild situations, a moving vehicles opertator is dependent upon certain fuctions of the brain which judge speed and distance. The Officer may well have known the speed limit and mistakenly judged a quick glance at an oncoming headlamp. One must concentrate on the upcoming light while gageing distance traveled over the course of a given time.

The Officer was at point of major negligence. The rider who is dead on the other hand ignored much of what we say to each other here often and in love. RIDE SAFE! RIDE FREE!

Clearly if the facts are in and those as stated above, then both parties are at fault but one was careless enough to be dead. The other, The Police Officer, now faces his own guilt and the rejection of folks that really were not fuckin there and ONE MORE TIME rely on The Press or some other Special Interest Group to mold an UNINFORMED decision.

:eek:

BLA HA HA FooledYaDidntI? Dot HA!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I'll Wear Your Button

JimmyK said:

You will never see a "Support Your Local COP" button on my vest, and I am all for supporting Bikers Rights BECAUSE I simply supports PEOPLES Rights.

<snip>

I don't have a problem wearing your button, JimmyK.

Here, the story is very clear TWO parties at fault. Boycott M/B because TWO parties were at fault? Make up your own mind people.

I agree that this is a sad story. I agree that TWO persons could have behaved more responsibly. However, I'm of the view that we don't fault EVERYONE for the irresponsibility of one person. In this case, IMHO we should not fault M/D for the poor driving of one cop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts