V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's bike week was set for May 11 to the 20th. Now the local dealer is trying to get the date changed to the 21-29 WTF.. Don't these idiots know that working people can't just change vacation days in a blink..... This was a great bike week, the past few years though there are way to many morons trying to sabotage it.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
No, Myrtle beach has made it crystal clear for the last 5 years that they do not want us there, and I for one would not go there even if they paid me too.

In fact I would ride 200 miles out of my way to avoid them, as you should too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's Memorial Day weekend. That is "Black" Bike Week down there. I can't imagine it changing.

The city council of Myrtle Beach may not want the rally, but you can bet your arse that the businesses do.

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right Camaro, that's why I still go. There was a very small group of money folks that were trying to discourage spring bike week. The great majority of regular workin folks DO want us there. They need our support. If you let a small group of jerks deter you from going to the rally, then they win. VERY LITTLE of the actual events were even IN the boundries of MB itself, most was north or south of the city. I will continue to go and have a great time as usual and refuse to let a couple of big money Aholes guide me. Did further checking and it was just the HD dealer in the city that was trying to change the days. It's back to it's posted days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh yeah! The 1st year the BS started down there, a guy I work with was talking to the owner of a restaurant. He said that the usual money made during bike week was $15,000/day, since had gone down to 5,000/day.

It amazes me how politicians can sway things for their own interests and complete ignore the economy and the best interest of a whole town. I know Surf Side, North Myrtle, Murrels Inlet, etc... appreciated the income. haha

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know that the girls that work at The Masters Club love us to come to town...lol..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't let the Selfish Folks at MB HD deter you.

It appears much of the confusion over the dates is the decision of one business, Myrtle Beach Harley Davidson.

MB HD have changed the dates with a total disregard for the thousands of folks that have already reserved lodging, booked flights, scheduled shipping, scheduled time off, etc.. It's not just the business's that will lose money. They also have zero consideration for anyone who had plans to participate in both MBBW and the Run to the Wall.

This is a good rally, been going for years. And at a time where the City Council is so sensitive, you have one dealer rubbing their nose in it.

The folks at ABATE of SC are calling for a boycott of MB HD. I really hope folks listen.

Regards

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've been goin to that rally for years, I take my kids there for vacations, it really sucks that the mayor and a select few want to make it into a golfing community. They do not like or want the image associated with a party town, but the locals want and need our business ! The rally is mostly in Murrells Inlet anyway, I'm going to Panama City Fl. this year but I still enjoy MBBW.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My bro's and I are planning to go. When we are there we usually stay away from the city anyway. Ever since they started enforcing a helmet law in the city we have just said "f#$& it!" We enjoy the outer areas more anyway. Sort of a rebellion. The city must be seeing a loss of revenue over so many biker's staying out of there with their money. And, so, back to the subject; with all that being said, we will surely stay away from the MBl H-D dealer too. :fart:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Still nothing decisive after last night City Council meeting

The MB CC had this on the agenda last night but no decision on dates or actions, it was mainly threats to revoke "all" permits which would really suck for those folks already invested.

I hope Phil Screwover at MB HD now has a beter appreciation as to both the short and long term impact his careless, not-well-thought-out decision could have. The folks in the City Council won't forget this.

I might encourage folks to use the feedback link on the MB HD website to express your opinion. Perhaps they'll listen to the masses.

Good Luck!

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You would think that the owner of MBHD would be glad the fiasco in 09 created by the city was going away, why the hell would this idiot stir up the pot again. I will probably stop by MBHD since several vendors are in that area but you can bet your bippy I won't buy anything from that shop

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you do go take your helmet in case they start writing city limit helmet violation tickets............again! Thank God we still have the right to chosse statewide on the helmet law.

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They can't write helmet tickets anymore, not MBs decision. The State court thru their helmet law out. 2009 was the bad year. I was there in 2010 and last year, there were no helmet or unecessary traffic stops that I witnessed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
#1 the SC ABATE state chapter has nothing to do with it
it is the Horry county ABATE chapter that is causing quite a bit of trouble
and quite frankly that chapter should be disbanded.

since most of them are residents in and around myrtle beach they have
come out and said they dont want to have the rally at all and have been
siding with the council on the vendor permits subject stating that ALL permits should be pulled as far as they are concerned.
also, quite a few claiming to be horry ABATE executive members have really berated bikers in the comments of the local newspapers there.

so tell me, what good is the horry county chapter if they arent fighting for
bikers rights and only looking out for their own interests AND in particular berating bikers in general?

further more this country was built on free enterprise as far as im concerned so what
business is it of the MB town council to come in and control free trade by threatining the non issue or pulling of vendor permits?

Also there are many rallys and events there in myrtle beach each and every year YET the council and mayor that are in place are only picking on the bikers and bike rallys, nothing else.
personally i would like to know why there is so much hate for the motorcycling community among that group especially when we spend the amount of money that
WAS being spent in year after year after year?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah after 2009 I said to hell with myrtle too just like alot of other longtimers. It's a shame for the businesses true but they should be gettin on the damn city council to lay off those bringing in revenue. NCMEDIC hit the nail when he said they don't want a biker party image but rather the big pocket golfer dudes they think will be more civilized. HAHA there the ones who cant handle the liquor and are more obnoxious in the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts