Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel it is one of the best engines harley ever built.performance views are
this. if your going big bore or stroke it buy aftermarket cases. the stock
crankcases can not take it.i am not a compression nut keep compression
under 10/1. problems i seen are very minimal for this engine. the only
problem i see is the use of tight or heavy duty valve springs. we have to
replace a lot of valve seats due to this problem. the other problem i see
is cracks from inlet seat to spark plug. i find this on heads that have been
decked over .060. i have ported these heads since 1985.i think we were the ones who came up with dual quench chambers. i have been told we
were not. oh well.i think new coated piston are good. i use a lot of
kb pistons.i do not like plastic breather / use jims breather are good.
i have started to vortec cylinder head intake ports.have seen 11%
increase in airflow. one of my machinst has these heads on road king and swears by them. i have not personally dynoed one lately.i have always
in the past got 80-90 ft lbs torque and 80-90 horse power.i like the balance factor at 55% when we balance an engine.i like mild cams
there a great engine to rebuild.bottom line evo engines are good
work horse and will be around for a long time.they been real good
to me in a business point of view
short-block charlie

·
Banned
999 Posts
Charlie. I agree.

My 95" Sybil" has 110,000 miles on her. did top end last november at 80k miles,mostly because base gaskets were really starting to leak. went with 10:1 wiseco pistons,ev13 andrews. bike runs good,only time engine been worked on was that.

my buddies 98 dyna LR has about 120,000 on it,back cylinder is starting to smoke but as far as I know it hasn't had any engine work other than base gaskets. Its the last of the Evo's, TC88 came out about a month after he got it.

I plan on riding Sybil until I die or am an invalid.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree completely with you two, the evo is a great air cooled v twin engine design. Screw a twin cam, just what does one gain with those chains and 2 cam design complexity? A little better pushrod angle, maybe few more top end rpm? Not worth the bother in my opinion. Stock tc heads suck with mods, cam changes. Now I do understand the twin cam top end cooling is somewhat better, only plus I see over evo.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Let me know next time you find a 100/100 EVO with stock HD cases that stays together for any lenght of time. Same for a stock inner primary witout a torque arm.

Baseball.......hmmmmm......EVO has bean berry berry good to me. LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah hippo evo hav been very very good to me
short-block harpo
your right again boy sure getting things stirred up
on the other boards

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You must mean "Harpu" :D

One of these things where when you really get down to it everybody is right, just looking at it from points of view influenced by local market conditions. Ken just about summed it up pretty well if you read between the lines.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
HEY! WTF are y'all talking about? Is this some kind a damn double super secret afternoon show or what?

I would not consider it unthinkable, that The Evo may well be the high point of HD Engineering. And ya know what? That ain't such a bad thing. ;)

·
Banned
999 Posts
JimmyK said:
HEY!

I would not consider it unthinkable, that The Evo may well be the high point of HD Engineering. And ya know what? That ain't such a bad thing. ;)

its definitely the last of the old breed and while the old guys mite of said "see no Evo, hear no Evo, speak no Evo" methinkx the Evo made quite a statement during its 15 year run.

Regarding HPO and SBC it
must be some type of secret AZ bikemek codetalk, possibly derivative of Navajo windtalkers of ww2.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not really, just a friendly exchange of ideas regarding compression ratios, one of the few interesting posts lately in no small part because of who is actually posting, ie everyone has a lot of technical credibility.

The EVO was a very good engine, in no small part due to the contributions of many aftermarket companies and the number of upgraded components available.
Stock against stock the TCa is a far better engine but it will be a while before this is realized by the majority. Once the naysayers have taken a few of them apart and learned the pitfalls every new engine has and what makes them tick they will be converted.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I, too think the Evo is the best HD engine. The Twin Cam's increased performance is basically due to increased cubic inches. But its performance suffers when you consider the overheating problems TCs have. I sometimes wonder if they didn't overbuild the TC, if the heavier rods and wristpins and so forth are a factor in the overheating. And, as someone else mentioned, the two cams and the chain and the tension shoe and all that crap, only creates one extremely slight performance advantage, straighter pushrod angles. I don't see hot rod Evos having any problems because of the pushrod angles.
One other note; the torque arm problem was caused by the Dyna frame, not the Evo engine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good points MPZ. Twin Cams suck.......long live the Evo. (that ought to fire em up)

Mr. Hippo: not trying to be argumentative here but 80/80 is plenty and reliable with stock cases, torque is where its at. If one wants 100/100 or better, buy an S & S engine, or some new cases, or a Suzuki Hayabusa.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No problem, you run the EVO I'll run the TC.

The 124" S&S is sort of nice. :D
It is however a hybrid, lots of TC technology in there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dej a vu... I heard this same arguement in 1984 when the Evo's came out.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I RUN AN 80 INCHER PUSHIN ABOUT 100HP, BUT WHEN YOU GET UP THERE RELIABILITY IS (AS WITH ANYTHING YOU MODIFY) IN THE RIGHT HAND OF THE RIDER. I BUILT IT FOR COMFORT AND POWER AND AS OF YET HAVE NOT BEEN LET DOWN. BILIEVE ME THIS HEAVY BIKE OPENS UP A LOT OF EYES WHEN I PULL THE WICK TIGHT.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice ride wurkenman, why don't you post a full size shot of your custom so I can see it in detail. I'm just about ready for a bagger with a windshield, no bad vibes, and a bad ass engine.

Mr. Hippo, I failed to mention that I did own several years ago, a '95 Badboy with an Aerocharger kit I installed on it that dynoed at 104HP, 115 lbsft torque with stock cases, stock everything cept camshaft and headgaskets. I ran it at 10psi boost at manifold. I got pics of the old girl, the torque was awesome.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts