V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been on the board a while now, forgive my being tardy in completeing this introduction. I could'nt help but jump right in when I saw all this site had to offer (great source of info. w/ some great folks to boot). I've always been guilty doing things out of order and according to my own priorities (for better or worse). However, I do believe in doing things that should be done; so here we go.....

I could echo the same as the many other posts here, about growing up around bikes etc. I was always wrenching (or doing a poor imitation of a wrench) on some type of old scoot for years, some Harleys some not. I fell out of the bike thing between the ages of 20-25. I just did'nt trust my own stupidity anymore. The whole more balls than brains thing at that age. The real miracle was my surviving from 16-20. I figured I better not push my luck.
After college I married my wife and started my life. Landed a great gig that paid the bills ( on time for once) and left plenty of time/cash for the "funner things in life". Bought a home on the coast of NJ and started to build a new toy collection. Having the Atlantic practically in the back yard, a boat and a few wave runners was a natural choice. That fun lasted about 3-4 years. Those things are true to their defintions...."holes in the water that you throw money into". Money you will never see again either. After doing the math at the end of a season it was clear... they had to go! $1,500.00 per hour of usage ( Slip fees, repairs, fuel, ins. and a whole list of others combined with low usage)
Now what to do with my time and money? Save it? Yeah right!
The feeling of getting in the wind had never left me over the years. It would surface from time to time and would always be pushed back in the cage somehow. I would always tell myself things like..."It is just too dangerous to ride in NJ and if I do it, it will have to be an HD and I aint paying that much money for anything with two wheels". The fact that my wife ( a great girl) really hated the idea did'nt help. She had the misfortune a witnessing a terrible bike accident years back. The memories are still quite fresh. Whenever my thoughts came out, I was always told "its not you I don't trust, its the other jerks out there". We have plenty of them here, so it was a tough point to argue.
Well, I was 30 and toyless, not what I had planned. I started messing around in the dirt again. A weekend of dirt bikes and quads will quickly remind you that you aint no kid anymore, and healing aint fast anymore.
Then all of a sudden my family went bike nuts. It seemed that every cousin and uncle I had was getting a bike. Some were in a late mid life crisis and others just needed an escape. The topper was when my dad pulled up on a new scoot ( this was the guy that always said no more bikes for me years ago). Well, that did it! I discussed it with my wife and she said "as much as it scares me, I'd never stop you from doing anything that would make you happy....BE CAREFUL AND HAVE FUN!"

With her blessing and taking into consideration the fact that we will be starting a family soon, it was off to the dealer I went. What does starting a family have to do with it?? Well, remember what I said earlier about doing things out of order. Actually, the way I see it. It is simply now or never. Once the family comes there will be more reasons not to do it. I also understand the fact that when it comes to free time, it will become valuable and rare. So spend it wisely! My cousins with families all credit "cycletherapy' for helping them stay sane. My one cousin who rides on early Sunday mornings, calls it "goin to church" and credits his HD for maintaining his overall happiness. With the sudden popularity of bikes in the family, I really look forward to riding with my family. I think it will actually start to bring together a family that was starting to unitentionally drift apart. That has got to be the best part of it all.

After doing my homework and shopping around. I settled on a new '03 RKC in black. Now all I can do is watch it snow! And drive down to the dealers and buy more stuff for it of course. It is like being a kid and having your presents put out under the tree on Thanksgiving. This sucks!
Anyway, thats the long of it! I look forward to particpating in this board and becoming part of what seems to be a great community.
See Ya on the Road !
-Rick

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Great intro. Looks like you have a great wife and family too. Be carefull out there, you have people that care/depend on you, having said that have you taken the safety course yet ?? Are you planning to ?? It may help put your wifes mind at ease, and save your life someday. Anyway welcome, enjoy, participate!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome! April 4-5-6 class... can never know too much!

He who learns but does not think is lost, he who thinks but does not learn is in danger. - Confucius

Words to LIVE by.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
One of the best intros I've read in a long time. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Great intro and welcome to the forum. Now at least you may recap some of your investment. HD's dont go south as fast as the water or dirt toys. Oh Yea keep the wife.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Enjoyed your intro, post often........

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Hey Rick, it's great to have a family with the same interest. My mother, brother-in-law and my father have a Harley, including me. It's really cool seeing your mother in front of ya leading the way. Just one big happy family! Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
The intro was worth the wait. It's great

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the '03 RKC Great into and post up often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great story and well written. Harley's are the only hobby I've had for the past 12 years that took me around the country but never to the cleaners.

Ride safe,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.