V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, since this forum section has been around for a while I figured it was time to post in it. Well, I was born and raised in New England. CT,RI,ME,CT(in that order!) Have been in love with bikes since I was young. First ride was on a 250 Suzuki when I was 12. The owner asked me if I had ever ridden before and I replied"All the time". Of course I hadn't ever ridden, he didn't know any better, so off I went. (reading all those cycle mags suddenly came in handy) I did well except my legs didn't even come close to the ground and I had to do this less than graceful neutral, brake and jump down thing. Instantly hooked! My parents wouldn't let me buy my own bike until I was 18 years old.(concerned for my health) The first beast was a '63 Bridgestone 90. Kickstart shaft was stripped so I had a pair of vise grips permanently mounted as my kicker. From there it was a slew of Hondas. Everything from a 125 to a 750. In between I was fortunate enough to have friends who let me ride their Harleys. After riding one of their bikes I felt soooooo inadequate!!! About 6 years ago I sold my last Honda, an 82 750F super sport and had been bikeless until last March. I suddenly found myself in a midlife crisis. (I thought that only being 45 was too young for that but what the hell) Not sure of what I wanted, I bought an '01 Sportster, what a blast! By November I was ready for a bigger bike and bought an '02 FXD. The wife is still pissed I think. I just painted it and changed bars and stuff to the point where it doesn't look much like what I purchased in November. I ride with the club we have at work(no, we can't give out free samples of Viagara!) and they are great to ride with. I hope to retire from the pharmaceutical business in ten years and told the wife that the first thing I'll do is a trip around the entire country! I'll more than likely be riding one of those things with the armrests for the passenger by then.LOL. By the way, it's "Sheepboy" because I have a small farm. No jokes please and yes my barn does have corners!(oops)
Love the forum, very helpful, keep up the good work. RIDE ON!!!!!
Sheepboy
'01 Sportster
'02 Dyna

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hi ya,Sheepboy,fellow New Englander here.I was born in Mass.& now live in Maine.

Thanks for the interesting story,ya gotta love those vise grips!
guido

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Hey Sheepboy! You've been posting here so long that I didn't realize that you didn't post your story until now. Way to go. Very interesting story.

Thanks,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guido, where in Maine are you? I graduated from Bangor High way back in '74. I still go back to my adopted home state several times a year, family summer house thing. I started taking the bike up last year in the back of the truck and have done some nice rides between Wisscasset and Boothbay Harbor. This year I am taking the club on a Route 1 trip from Ct up to the house. Wife and I get house, they get tents on the lawn.:D Will be an all day trip but should be fun. Maybe we'll see ya on the road!
Sheepboy

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheepgal has had a license since '76. I think she would prefer to see the tailight goin' down the road as the cash comes in! Can't convince her to let me keep it...... she said something about new jewelry.:D She rarely rides either alone or as co-pilot. When I suggested a solo seat though on the new bike she got pissed. I guess she'll be doing a few rides with me this year! No riding now since I'm waiting for a seat for it. (see Dyna tech section for the whole bobtail fender fiasco) When I get it back on the road I will post a pic. Looks like hell now without a seat! In the meantime, here's a pic of my Sportster. Anybody need one?:)
Sheepboy

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hey Sheepboy,wassup?

I'm in the southern part of Maine,in Biddeford.Moved to this part of the state cuz we liked our chances at gainful employment a little better than other areas.

Maine sure is a beautiful place for riding,lotsa coastline & mountain roads just meant for puttin.Even during the dreaded tourist season you can always find out of the way places with little cage traffic.

That road trip you've got planned sounds like a blast.Keep in touch!

guido

1 - 7 of 7 Posts