V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the vibration on an '03 Sportster supposed to be bad enough to make my thumbs and fingers go numb? Mostly when I'm over 40 mph or so. Is it me? Is there something I can do about it? It's so bad I can't even feel the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well don't call the MOCO or try and send them an email. HA! Just kidding!
Sounds like something is wrong, have you asked your dealer to check it out?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cox9000 said:
Well don't call the MOCO or try and send them an email. HA! Just kidding!
Sounds like something is wrong, have you asked your dealer to check it out?
No, this is my first on both counts. Are you saying that this is normal? Gloves helped some and I'm going to get some more cushioned grips too.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I gotta agree with cushioned grips and moving hands around. Also, if first time riding or been a while, you might be gripping too hard like you're tense.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do try and move my hands around and I probably am gripping too tight. It's mostly on the interstate with cars all around. This is my first bike and I think I picked a good one. I just didn't know about the vibration. Maybe I should have went for a bigger bike. Are they smoother?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to ride a Sportster, and I'll tell you what worked for me: (1) Get a padded "overlay" grip for tennis rackets. It's meant to go over a regular leather tennis handle grip, it's self-sticking & there are usually two in a package. Put it right over whatever base grip you have on there now. (2) Make sure the overall circumference is not too small for the size of your hand. The smaller it is, the tighter you squeeze & the more you cut off the capillaries trying to return the blood out of your fingers which causes most of the tingly numb feeling. (3) If all else fails or if you're riding beaucoup miles over several days, buy fingerless gloves with padded palms from a bicycle shop. They come in all colors & you can even get "bike" leather on the top side if you shop around. (4) Make sure your gloves are not too tight, especially around the knuckles.

Sportsters are very fun rides, so keep experimenting until you find a solution. And when your butt starts going numb, take another hint from those crazy Tour de France bicyclists and invest in a high-end gel seat!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the fingerless padded gloves with a gel insert in the palm. Bought mine at the dealer on sale but see them all the time at rallies and swap meets. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eagle_Woman said:
I used to ride a Sportster, and I'll tell you what worked for me: (1) Get a padded "overlay" grip for tennis rackets. It's meant to go over a regular leather tennis handle grip, it's self-sticking & there are usually two in a package. Put it right over whatever base grip you have on there now. (2) Make sure the overall circumference is not too small for the size of your hand. The smaller it is, the tighter you squeeze & the more you cut off the capillaries trying to return the blood out of your fingers which causes most of the tingly numb feeling. (3) If all else fails or if you're riding beaucoup miles over several days, buy fingerless gloves with padded palms from a bicycle shop. They come in all colors & you can even get "bike" leather on the top side if you shop around. (4) Make sure your gloves are not too tight, especially around the knuckles.

Sportsters are very fun rides, so keep experimenting until you find a solution. And when your butt starts going numb, take another hint from those crazy Tour de France bicyclists and invest in a high-end gel seat!
Thanks for the advice. I bought some gloves from the Harley dealership that have the padded palms. They are full fingered though. Is there a reason you recomend fingerless? I was thinking of getting the padded grips from Harley or getting the ISO grips from Kuryakyn. Do you know anything about these grips?

And I've already been looking at seats. There are so many I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want one that makes me sit even higher. I was thinking maybe the Sundowner by Harley. What do you think? Which did you choose?

So, what kind of bike do you have now? Why did you get rid of the Sportster?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
tdp1 said:
I was thinking of getting the padded grips from Harley or getting the ISO grips from Kuryakyn. Do you know anything about these grips?

And I've already been looking at seats. There are so many I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want one that makes me sit even higher. I was thinking maybe the Sundowner by Harley. What do you think? Which did you choose?
I have padded grips from H-D(p/n 56285-98 - $46) but I have Road King. They are definitely better than the stock grips which SUCK. So I would recommend replacing stock ones. Kuryakyn makes some nice ones also.

I also bought a Touring Seat from H-D(p/n 52059-97A $285 - But I got it on sale - 30% off). While it's okay and better than stock seat(which also SUCKS), passenger(my wife) finds it still a little uncomfortable. If I had it to do over again, I'd go for a Mustang.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I put some Kuryakyn Iso grips on the SuperGlide about 2 months ago. Fits my hand better, less vibration, and looks good. I also need a different seat and have looked at the Sundowner. Still undecided though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had the same problem on my fxd(with roadking bars). pulled the grips off, inserted (jammed) 1 inch round high density foam till it reached the dimple (bout 6 inches), cut the excess flush with the bar opening, put the grips back on and no more numbness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts