V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my bike was supposed to start coming apart for winter hop-up on monday but as fate would have, one of the boxes of lovely new parts contained the wrong parts. Well, lucky me, the weather turned NICE, temps hovering around 40 but very dry roads and full bright sunshine sun-up to sun-down. So I was bundled up and rode from wed through saturday when the abrupt end came. Went by a friends house and he wasn't home and so, I started to turn around in his turn around loop style driveway. Well, it's mostly dirt with a smattering of gravel. As I manuvered past his girls car, I started to slide. I was being very careful cuz I knew the potential was there. Well, there was never any chance I was gonna make the fourty or so back the the pavement, it was that slick + frozen solid even though it didn't look it. My fate was sealed as soon as I had pulled into the turnaround I just didn't know it. Went down in the icy mud, normally not a problem, been down on slick grass and in my gravel driveway before never any damage to me bike or OL. But appearantly, I had my foot down and when this thing slipped, it went fast and caught my foot under the floorboard. So, it turned my ankle really bad AND crushed my foot too. Now I am laying there pinned under the 800lb+ RG and my OL is having trouble getting off the back, I cant even think of trying to free myself till she gets clear, it seems like forever, probably like 10 seconds or less. Then is when the super-human strength thing happened. Once she was clear, I took my free left foot, planted it on the edge of the seat and with a mighty push, freed my trapped right leg and foot. Amazing how easy it seemed to lift that bike the 6-8 inches necessary to get it off my leg with just one leg.
Well, the OL is fine, I know that's all you guys care about, but me on the other hand, let's just say MY RIDING SEASON IS OVER! My ankle is the size of a cantaloupe, my foot is bruised and swollen from my toes to my ankle and I can barely walk this am, no way I could get the bike out of the garage.
Shame, the weather is supposed to stay clear for at least another week, riding time I'm gonna loose. It's 37 and crystal clear out right now and the OL is at work, damn, I wish I could get that bike outta the garage!

Oh yeah, not a scratch on the RG, Thank God for crash bars and floorboards!!!

You All have a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!!!

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. Hope it is just swelling and brusing and not more serious. Glad the bike came through with little damage. It won't be long and this will be a story for you to laugh about.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well that sux. :( Hope that your ankle gets better soon.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and yours, also!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like you need to go have the ankle looked at, but until then you need to soak it in ice to reduce the swelling. Hopefully nothing is broken. Glad to hear the OL is okay, bet she wasn't too impressed with the whole incident. Also good to hear the RG survived. Hope the ankle is better and you are back on two wheels soon. :chopper:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bummer!:( . Glad to hear that things are pretty much ok. Especially for your OL :thumbsup: GAWD I love that avatar.

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy
Stage 1
V & H Shortshots
HD Beachbars
Nostalgia windshield
QD backrest for hot little wife
The chrome visor over the headlight looks cool too

"When in doubt, Gas it. It won't help but it ends the suspense!"

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Sorry about the fall.

<fatherly advice mode on>
You didn't mention it in your post but you should definitly have that foot and ankle checked out by a doctor. You could have broken bones or other problems that may not heal right unless they are set propely.
<fatherly advice mode off>

Glad the passenger and Glide made it through without a scratch!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Hope you feel better...

just think, now your ankle will be able to predict the weather for you!
Best part is you and the missus are ok. Good luck with the boxes of goodies.
Ed Gray

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sorry to hear about the ankle but look on the bright side. It could have been the first ride of the season...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, looks like I'll have to go to the Doc in the morning, I have broken my ankle numerous times and this is as big and as painful as I have ever seen it, doesn't seem broken though, my foot may be. Man! I hate going to the Dr!!
Thanks all for your well wishes and sympathy!
This really sucks, this the first time I have been able to ride in the winter while living in Oregon now this!

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear of your injury. Hope you heal up quickly. Glad the bike was not hurt but really that is the least of the concern when matters of life and limb come into play.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Sorry to hear of your abrupt end. VERY glad your OL and the bike are OK.

Yep broken ankles are hell, I walked on one for 2 days before it was put in a cast. You know what they say "bikes can be repaired, but hospitals are running short on arms and legs" or something like that:corn:

Very good to see you concede on the DR, you need an x-ray and hell you will get good drugs too!drunk!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune adlerx. Hope the doc doesnt find it broken! Yeah I hate going to the doctors too, but sounds like you need to. Let usknow what he finds.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
adlerx said:
Well, looks like I'll have to go to the Doc in the morning, I have broken my ankle numerous times and this is as big and as painful as I have ever seen it, doesn't seem broken though, my foot may be. Man! I hate going to the Dr!!
Thanks all for your well wishes and sympathy!
This really sucks, this the first time I have been able to ride in the winter while living in Oregon now this!
I too am sorry to hear of your accident. I think the silver lining here is that your missus wasn't hurt. It's also a positive that your scooter is ok also.

But you should get yer butt to the ER and let them get xrays (or an MRI) of your ankle. The upside is you should get some good meds.

regards,

wyo

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Just glad to hear everyone is gonna be ok...unless they don't get to the doctor, dontcha hate it when everone tells ya what ya oughta do!:yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts