V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to share my Reckless fairing adventure… I have been looking at fairings for a while now, I was going to go with the Dead Center as they make a great product, but changed my mind and went with the more cost effective Reckless so I could build the system to my liking and not be pigeon holed into an out-of the box set up.
So I decided to purchase my Reckless fairing off of eBay as the price was a little cheaper, here is the description copied right off of the auction. “Included in this auction is:- Detachable fairing (Black Gelcoated), 5" smoked windscreen, - Stainless steel mounting brackets, ** Fairing arrives in Black gelcoat ready to be installed or painted **, **STEREO, SPLASH COVER & SPEAKERS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS AUCTION BUT AVAILABLE**”.
Shipping was very quick, I had no communication with them, no email or anything, but they did enter a tracking number thru eBay, and it was delivered as stated. I open the box and am pleasantly surprised by the fit and finish of the fairing, all in all it looks pretty good and after holding it up with the brackets mounted to the fairing, it’s going to look nice!

So I look thru all of the packaging to try and find the rest of the mounting hardware and instructions and there is none, no big deal it’s got to be painted and put together so I’m in no rush, so I give them a call and explain that I didn’t get the instructions and there didn’t appear to be any mounting hardware. The lady says no problem I can email the instructions to you and that I could let her know what I needed. Sweet, so I give her my email address and she send the instructions right over. Got it, they must have forgotten to send the little mounting bushing they call for in the instructions(from the instructions” Remove your rubber windscreen grommets and replace them with the 4x grommets & 4x washers included in the kit as shown on the pictures below. Please note that these new grommets are very important because it will allow you to securely mount and fasten the fairing to the motorcycle”.), so I give her a call back and explain to her what the story was and she asks me if I bought the stripped fairing and I tell her yes and she says “oh, you don’t get those with the plain fairing”. Long story short she says there is nothing she can do unless I want to pay them an additional 30.00 for the parts kit. Well, that doesn’t fly in my mind so I ask her if there is anyone else I can talk to, she gives me the owners name Alex, but he had left for the day, no big deal. Well in doing all of my research I had read of a few issues people had over the years, but Alex had taken care of them and for the most part people had good things to say, so I’m thinking to myself that talking directly to Alex the owner, this is going to get resolved. WRONG!

I called Alex the next day and he pretty much dismissed my concerns, told me to just use the rubber stock bushings and that if I didn’t want to I could purchase the parts kit for 30.00…. This is the short version, but needless to say I am pissed! I thank him for his time, tell him that I really wished we could resolve this issue and wish him a Merry Christmas.

After getting off the phone I was pretty hot, so I decided to wait a few days before leaving feedback for the auction, and finally did it today. I left a neutral rating and left this, “Did not contain all mtg hardware necessary per sellers inst., wanted extra 30.00.”, and this was the response he left to my feedback.” Wanted hardware for free that is not included,what about we include a bike also?”. Then he had the nerve to send me a message thru eBay, “Thx for the feedback!
If you are so unhappy why don't you just return the fairing to us, i will even send you a return label. Then you can go buy a fairing somewhere else.”, and I sent this reply “Wow, this is great customer service! I tried to resolve this issue with three phone calls to you folks and all I got was the run around with you wanting me to spend another 30.00 or that I could use my rubber windshild mounts, when your instructions clearly state that the rubber bushings should be replaced with your spacers. Here's a quote for you, "Please note that these new
grommets are very important because it will allow you to securely mount and fasten the fairing to the motorcycle." Ultimatly, I like the fairing, I don't care for your lack of customer service, regardless if I bought the stripped fairing or if it had been the full loaded one, I expect better customer service, not a bunch of attitude and BS explanations as to why I didn't recieve all the mounting hardware. What would you do if you were in my shoes? would you rate yourself better? I called three times and we obviously couldn't come to a solution so I rated the transaction like I did.”,

And his reply back “Yes the instructions also explains how to install the wiring harness, but that is not included. You phoned 3 times yes and i presume that you received the same answer every time, it is only included with the complete units. Unfortunately at $325 there is not much room to include anything, and that is why it is not included, and please if you find another fairing of our quality at our price with those things included please let me know then i can buy some also!
I think it is very unfair that you cant see this. There is nothing wrong with our customer service, i believe myself and my staff gave you true and correct info, it was just not what you wanted to hear, and that is sad! But hey, like i said you are more than welcome to return that fairing, i will be more than happy to take it off your hands.

I have yet to reply to his latest message, but find it interesting that a business owner fails to see that omitting the fact that the fairing doesn’t come with ALL of the necessary mounting hardware is pretty much being disingenuous. I certainly am not looking for something for nothing, but expect to be told the truth and wanted to share my story in the hopes that I could save somebody in the future the hassle that this has been and what kind of experience you might have if you choose to do business with this guy.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
2,040 Posts
The description is technically accurate. The brackets were included.
I do agree though, that leaving out the fact that you need to buy additional hardware is, at the very least, disingenuous and at best...cruddy.
I'd say it might be a stretch to say deceptive, but I'm no lawyer.

In any case, I'd bet with some creative shopping, you can find what you need ata a well stocked ACE hardware. It just sux that you have to go through it.
Some savings huh ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worked in the parts business for almost 20 years and maybe thats part of the problem, if an item was described like that, it would usually come with the hardware, or at least say not included. Had they been reasonable on the phone and hadn't just brushed me off it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but it's been such a negative snippy deal I had to share and at least let people know what they might be in for if they decide to buy from them.

I'm sure I can come up with a secure way to mount it, and it won't cost me an extra 30.00 I can tell you that!

·
1,336 Posts
I worked in the parts business for almost 20 years and maybe thats part of the problem, if an item was described like that, it would usually come with the hardware, or at least say not included. Had they been reasonable on the phone and hadn't just brushed me off it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but it's been such a negative snippy deal I had to share and at least let people know what they might be in for if they decide to buy from them.

I'm sure I can come up with a secure way to mount it, and it won't cost me an extra 30.00 I can tell you that!
I think they proabally have a generic instruction sheet. I bought a complete setup from them. Painted to match my bike (It was 1200 bucks) It shipped fast, paint was great. Ever time I called them I spoke with someone. They were very helpful. Even called back to ask about adding a power port. They were super. Nice to talk to the owner. My bike is a road king so installation was not rocket science.

Sorry you had a bad experience but I was impressed with them, and would buy from them again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jonas, for the money the fairing is nice, I have no problem there, it was the people that made it a crap experience. I guess I didn't spend enough money with them to make it worth it for them and in my mind thats pretty telling about a company.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
shopped ebay for savings
item oredered was "stripped" version
ebay price killed profit
optional parts given free would further eliminate any profits

am i missing something here?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Dunno, but way I see it is you got what you paid for. Nothing was misrepresented. Not to be harsh, but "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind. You saved a few bucks, now you're hot.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I had a Reckless fairing on my 2008 RKC, which they installed for me during Daytona bike week last Spring. They guys were real freindly and nice. I liked it pretty well, although the rubber bushing came off after a while and the brackets vibrated on bumps....

Anyway, whether you or they were right, wrong or indifferent, it seems to me that Reckless should have taken care of you. For their $30 investment, they would have gotten a happy customer and good feedbakc. Now they have a pissed off customer, who will never recommend them or do repeat business with them, a fight, and crappy feedback which will put off other potential customers

Not good business, in my opinion

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
you know what they say...a HAPPY customer will tell 5-10 people about his experience...a UNHAPPY one will tell EVERYBODY.
Seems simple, did it say hardware included? If it didn't, well, there u go. If it did say it, it should have been there, these people are just luring you in with the promise of an "inexpensive" fairing, and don't want to include any extras selling them at the minimum. Easy to understand but it ought to be spelled out clearly what you are getting for the money...
Tim

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes, the ad was technically accurate, but why doesn't Reckless just add the parts kit as part of the package (like they do the mounting brackets) and add the $30 to the total price? Seems like that's still a great deal.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bare bones anything for sale is just that,,,,no frills/extras and fleabay ads are the worst...research is our friend,,not how cheap can I buy it, but what all comes with my purchase.., I think your wrong in expecting something for nothing just because you didn't use due diligence, but Alex's phone approach leaves something to be desired if that is an accurate description of the conversations.If you like the product, 30 bucks is not going to make you or break you...just my opinion..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm the last person to expect something for nothing and I can tell you that I did a lot of research before going with the reckless and i am the one calling it a striped fairing, they just call it without stereo. Here is the description off of the website.

ROAD KING FAIRING (NO STEREO)

* Fairing arrives primed grey ready for paint

* Integrates with the OEM windshield mounts, using our hardware.

* Great wind protection and fantastic audio.

* Manufactured with hand laid fiberglass. Stronger than ABS plastic and only 20 lbs. complete.

* Finished in durable gelcoat and primed ready for paint!

·
1,336 Posts
I'm the last person to expect something for nothing and I can tell you that I did a lot of research before going with the reckless and i am the one calling it a striped fairing, they just call it without stereo. Here is the description off of the website.

* Manufactured with hand laid fiberglass. Stronger than ABS plastic and only 20 lbs. complete.

That is a smart way to go. If you can paint. For less then 900 bucks you could end up with a great setup.

I took mine apart last night to install a power port. I ran across a couple things that I did not like.

1. The "L" bracket that supports the back of the Radio. The screw was out, laying in the fairing. The other end of the bracket was attached to the Fairing with RTV. It was broke loose. I'm glad I found this, over time it would have destroyed the other mounting of the radio.

2. The internal anntenna wire is mounted to the inside of the fairing using RTV, it was loose in a couple places.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jonas- Thanks for the heads up! I have heard of some guys using epoxy to secure the bracket/mount for the back of the radio, pretty sure that's the route i'm going to take. With all the vibration, I want to make it as bomb proof as possible! Where on the fairing are you mounting the power port?

·
1,336 Posts
Jonas- Thanks for the heads up! I have heard of some guys using epoxy to secure the bracket/mount for the back of the radio, pretty sure that's the route i'm going to take. With all the vibration, I want to make it as bomb proof as possible! Where on the fairing are you mounting the power port?
I used epoxy to remount it. I put my power port on the left side, the area looks similiat to triangle(centered mine). Right below the area the speeaker are mounted. My radio as the aux jack on that side of the radio.

In fairness, I have had my bike on some really bad gravel, dirt, washed out roads in the last year. So I'm sure I have some responisibilite for knocking somethings loose. My Mom lives in South Westeren Ohio. Got caught there on the way back from a Bike Rally in Septemember. Hurricane Lee. I hate riding my bike to her place on a sunny dry weather. She is surrounded by coal mines and hills. My friend from down here was riding with me. We stopped at the bottom of the last hill until her place , looked up at pouring rain and it being washed out. Really without a choice we rode up it. We borrowed a car from her for the trip back to NC. Went and traded back for the bikes the following weekend.

Funny a couple weekends ago. Someone told my friend to watch out for the gravel in the parking lot. He said can't be any worse then the Ohio coal mine.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts

Sounds like a Fairing only to me. "Using our hardware" does not mean it comes with it to me. I guess I'm used to this, since it seems like with Harley what-ever you buy needs a mounting kit "sold seperately".

And they could easily and should add, "(sold seperately) after "using our hardware" just for clairity.

·
1,336 Posts
Sounds like a Fairing only to me. "Using our hardware" does not mean it comes with it to me. I guess I'm used to this, since it seems like with Harley what-ever you buy needs a mounting kit "sold seperately".

And they could easily and should add, "(sold seperately) after "using our hardware" just for clairity.
What is the hardware? Brackets, or nuts and bolts. I just mounted right on my bike, brackets were attached to fairing. I did not get any bolts, nuts, rubber groments or anything else. I did tighten bolts on my bike a little. Mine is 04 maybe things are diffrerent. If we are talking the metal brackets, I could see them costing 30.00 dollars.

Basically it slides on like the Road King Windsheild using the same mounting as the RoadKing Windsheild. Unless I did it wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im currently shopping for a Blank fairing w/ Just a Radio/speaker provision, I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks. I was gonna buy a Used outer/Inner from a Glide or King, but then had the task of filling/shaving the gauge holes... As long as I know I need hardware that's not an issue, but to expect it & not receive it, could be discerning.. But really, what is $30, when a loaded fairing from Kuryakin is like $2000?!:yikes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed, had I known I needed the 30.00 mounting kit I still would have bought it as the fairing was inexspensive, but I still expect there to be some level of reasonable customer service. 375.00 shipped is still 375.00.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts