V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Harley a few months ago. It's a new 100th anniversary screamin' eagle deuce. I became a HOG member and also got Harley's seven year extended service plan along with the deuce. I really love the deuce and there is no other bike like a Harley, but I do have one problem.

The screws and bolts that hold the deuce together have rusted. They are rusted from the front brakes to the engine to the frame. The motorcycle has been kept in an auto garage since new and neither the chrome nor wheels show signs of rust. This bolt rust was really disappointing to me and I took the deuce in for the dealer to look at. The dealer said it looked bad and they had to send pics of it to Harley.

After waiting for a couple months on Harley's decision they told me that it is not covered under warranty. This was a bigger disappointment than the rusted bolts. The deuce is still brand new and Harley is not even going to honor the warranty. I thought that they were supposed to have great customer service especially since their motorcycles are so expensive. I had to call them long distance a dozen times and they usually would not call me back when they said they would. I asked them to meet me half way and they would not even do that.

The guys at Harley said my deuce had been subjected to harsh chemicals, but I did not do it. It was the dealership I bought from if anyone exposed the motorcycle to chemicals. Harley also said I was lying to them about the mileage since it was less than the dealer said it had when sold. They signed a sworn statement according to Harley, but my deuce still has fewer miles than what they swore to. Could there have been odometer tampering done by the dealership?

So I feel let down after my very first experience with Harley. I have always wanted a Harley and when I buy my first Harley-Davidson they alienate me.

Is there any hope for them to do right by this deuce or do they not have to honor their warranty? Should I speak with somebody at Harley other than customer service? I just want them to be fair, but they say that I can not prove that I did not do the rust myself so they are not honoring my warranties. This bike cost a lot to me and it is supposed to look good. I've never had another motorcycle rust. I don't want your forum to think I am insulting Harley-Davidson, but I have never been treated this badly by a company I have bought something from before...especially something so expensive.

:confused:RustyDeuce

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
That really sucks....Sorry to hear it.
I hope maybe you will get through this
with all working out in the long run.

·
OFOPOS and Proud of it
221 Posts
That sucks! I have an 01 Heritage and have never had a rust problem anywhere. If you don't get anywhere with lower levels do what I did with my cell phone company. Send letters to the Office of the CEO and Board of Directors. Send detailed explanation of everything that happened to the bike since you got it. Include name of people at Harley you dealt with, what they said and the dates. Take pictures of everything including places you have been keeping it. At the end of the letter make a matter of fact, non-threatening, statement that if you don't get satisfaction you will have no choice but to persue legal alternatives.

I had the same problem with low levels of cell phone company. One letter to office of the CEO got problem straightened out. Sometimes the low level people get tied up in their own importance or silly company policies. The trick is to find the first level of management that has the authority to say yes.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you have any chemicals stored in your garage along with your bike?
Chlorine for a swimming pool will cause rust on things if it is kept in a garage. I learned that one the hard way.
Also come fertilizers can cause metals to rust if they are stored inside a garage.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
You're talking about a few bolts, right? So swap them out with new stainless and forget about it. It's cheaper, easier and better for your health than trying to squeeze blood from a stone. A year from now you won't even remember it

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to post the pics of the deuce that Harley saw.

Bookinit, Harley said the same thing to me about the pool chemicals. I do not know if they believed me or not, but the deuce is kept in a garage where only cars and motorcycles can go. I do not keep chemicals or shovels or lawnmowers in my auto garages like some people do. I also don't have a pool.

I'd like to be able to swap out the bolts myself, but it is a big job. The motorcycle would need to be unassembled down to the frame. You will be able to tell if I can post the pictures here.

RustyDeuce

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
That blows. You bought the bike new?

My '03 Road King had the same kind of rust problem but I bought it used and it came from a fleet of rentals that was on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale FL so I figured the salt had gotten to it. The black control covers were pitted and peeling and the frame had rust on it as well as just about every bolt and clamp on the bike. I didn't care much about it at the time because I knew I would be swapping a bunch of parts out on it anyway.

Hope you get your situation resolved to your satisfaction.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts

Is this your bike or not. If it was I would have said I will post pictures of MY bike.

Post some pictures before I add anything, Post the odometer if you can also, thanks.

Mark

·
963 Posts
Dean is right, just go ahead and change out the bolts with stainless. I also agree it blows that it has to come to this. Second, I would check into the odometer discrepency. If the dealer changed out the speedometer bofore the sale or something I would give them back the bike for a full refund. I am sure there is still another one sitting on a dealers floor you can get. Don't be discouraged. Harley is the best in my opinion, and their chrome is second to none. Sorry to hear about this trouble. Keep us posted on what happens.
And WELCOME to the forum!--Rob

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thealien said:

Is this your bike or not. If it was I would have said I will post pictures of MY bike.
Mark
He probably meant "pics that Harley saw." Just worded it wrong, that's all. . .

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
I think my nose smells something here. Is it just me?

·
Aimless Wanderer
855 Posts
Markcuda said:
I thought the story didn't sound right too. Waiting on the pics. Odometer tampering is what gave it away to me. First time posting on this board, is another clue. :eek:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Markcuda said:
Lots of stuff has rusted that went through Isabel earlier this year. Where does this member live?

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I uploaded five of the same pictures that were sent to Harley, but I shrunk their size so I could upload them here.

I think you misinterpreted what I typed Thealien. The deuce that I type of is mine and that is why I am posting in your forum. I do not want any forum members to think I am trying to bash Harley. I am just asking for help and extra knowledge and I feel that I have been treated unfairly. I live in Georgia.

The odometer thing was brought up by Harley-Davidson when they said or implied I was lying about the mileage. I don't know what the discrepancy means, but when Harley said I was lying they made it sound very important. Since there is this divergence and the bolts are also rusty it seems strange to me among other things. I bought the motorcycle brand new and it has never even been driven on the street.

This is important to me because I planned on keeping this deuce forever. You can email me or pm me if anyone wants to say something to me without putting it in a public forum. Thank you to the people that have replied with support or comments.

·
Bank Robber
959 Posts
Am I missing something?

Someone let me in...

Fangar

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Are you ever gonna ride it?

Does this have something to do with the bolts being Chineese? Is this one of those posts?

·
963 Posts
Hey Rusty Deuce;
I too live in Ga. What part are you in? I live in Tifton, about 60 miles north of the Fla. line. My bike has not had any rust problems, but it might be because there is so much wax on it. Get you some bolt head covers. I still don't understand how an odometer can read less than when you bought the bike. The milage is listed on the bill of sale. Did you buy the bike and just take it home, and never ride it? Have you ever riden it?
Sometimes dealers might just put 20-30 miles on the odometer statement just because they are too lazy to go and get the actual milage. So if you have never riden it at all you could be in that situation. You can fix that by riding the bike. Didn't you say you have a 7 yr unlimited milage warr? Something is not right here, that is for sure.--Rob

1 - 20 of 327 Posts