1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all , Great site!!
I've been saveing up for a scooter to call my very own for about
3 years now. I know thats a long time-- but with a wife, three kids,
and a mortgage, along with all the other monthly bills it's tough.
I'm sure some of you can relate. Every time I would go to the local dealers here in Minnesota I would leave so mad it would ruin the rest of the day. I dont know how they get people to keep paying those prices?
Well about 3 weeks ago a coworker ( mostly all bikers at my work)
told me of a bike his cousin was finally going to let go. Now its not the chromed out road king of my dreams but its real clean and only has 15,000 original miles. Most of all it was one I could afford, and hell I figuired it's a start. Its a 1983 five speed rubber mount shovel FLHT.
Well after a few weeks of rideing it ,words cant express how good putting around on this old bike makes me feel! Not to mention my kids, I cant seem to get out of the driveway without one of them on the back, wich is cool with me. I plan on takeing real good care of it ,like it has been, I just hope the motor holds together long enough for me to save up to either modify it or upgrade to a newer bike. One of the bike mechanics told me that with a little tweaking I could even get a EVO motor in it with a belt drive if I wanted to. I would like to hear what you guys think ?? Thanks, Pete

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Hey PeteS, Glad to have you here with us. I sure would like to have a shovel myself. Maybe i'm better off with what I have for now though. I know how you feel without expressing it in words. Sometimes that feeling is the most important thing in my life. Post often and welcome to the forum.

Later,

·
Registered
297 Posts
You've got my dream bike, love those old FLH shovels! They are becoming very rare. I currently run a 1979 lowrider, I love shovels, I love the look, the sound, everything about them. If I were you I wouldn't change a thing and I wouldn't get rid of it either. You've got something there that you just can't walk into a showroom and buy, you've got a piece of history, a classic! You don't need lots of chrome when you've got a shovelhead! Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,Pete_S !

Congrats on the Shovel,no need to splain bout the mortgage,etc,etc,etc,.......!Sometimes good things take awhile.

Looking forward to your posts.
guido

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Pete. I think its probably clear by now.... many people would love to have a shovel FLHT. I would hold on to that baby if I was you. Great to hear that you finally got one. And when you finally get enough to upgrade, I'd definately add one to the colection rather than sell and replace. Post a pic when you can - we'd love to see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Thanks for all the kind words ,You guys are great:D
I dont have a digital camera yet but plan to get one , when I do
I'll get a pic on if its not too hard for me to figuire out;)
I just cant get over how good this website is:) It's by far the best one
I've ever seen, I plan on checking in every day.
How do you guys get those cool signature pics by your name and at the bottom of your posts?
Later, Pete

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Welcome Pete! This is definetly the best site. New riders finding it everyday. Posting pictures in your signature is easy. First though, you need a picture hosting site. Once you post your picture there, you go to the YOUR user control panel, edit options, and type the url there. It's fairly easy. Post your pic there and we will help you along.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Pete, if i'm not mistaken you can post a signature picture in the photo gallery on this site and use it for your signature picture by copying the link url location in the gallery for it and then pasting the url in the signature url bar in your options like fourhour explained. The picture posted in the gallery will only be able to be linked to from this site however.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Pete_S,
I can realte big time with the family, bills, misc payments........It took me more than 3 years of saving but I was saving for a brand new Harley. Me being new to Harley I don't know that much except from what I've read. It sounds like you have a real nice bike , even the kids like it. Good luck and Wecome!
Go ViKings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts