V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of reading and researching about the FXR mystique and I finally took the plunge. Last week, after about five months of searching, I finally struck a deal on a '94 FXR with a guy from out of state. Actually, a few states away. Had to drive about three and a half hours to pick it up. Of course the pictures he had sent me didn't reveal the finer details and I didn't expect to just plop myself in the saddle of an 18 year old bike and be satisfied with everything. I've got a few ideas rolling around but first thing I need to do is change the front end. The bars were set up for a VERY small person and being 6'2" I feel like a circus clown on this thing. I'm guessing that whoever replaced the stock bars also replaced the brake & clutch levers and the front master cylinder. The M/C (I think) has the wrong bore size and was supposed to be set up for a dual disk setup. Pulling the brake lever, I don't get much travel and it doesn't feel like it can be "feathered". It just kind of comes to a dead stop. Anyway, there's plenty of time to make those "fitment" changes before riding season rolls around this Spring. I'm also flip-flopping between leaving the mids on or putting on some forwards. I'll probably wait until I get the bars changed before I make that decision.

I just got done changing the oil in it and that was fun, After coming from a Softie and a Dyna, I almost gave up looking for the drain plug. I've got a friend who has an Evo and he clued me in on the drain hose. Of course the first thing I bought for it is a service manual and that will help in the future but, it hasn't come in yet. On the same trip to order the manual, I also picked up a new horn 'cause mine doesn't work. Didn't surprise me when the parts guy said "Oh, we have five of those in stock". Apparently it's one of the downfalls of the FXR. Before anyone gives me a razzing about replacing the horn, it's required to pass our yearly state safety inspection.

Any advice that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I read on one of the threads here that "pictures are required". Unfortunately I only have one but I'll promise to get more up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nice find. Congrats!! Hey, have fun swapping out that horn. It sits under the battery box. They say you have to remove the rear wheel to get it out. I put mine up on a jack and dropped the swing arm low enough to reach in and slide it out on the belt side of the bike.

good luck..

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you have the mid controls on now, I would keep them on. I know it looks nice with forwards, but most folks agree the FXRs and FXLRs work best with mids, even for tall guys. My mechanic is at least 6'4" and rides mids. My '93 came with forwards and I needed to change them because I'm 5'8" and it wasn't cheap finding good clean mids.
Ride it as is then decide.
Congratulations on a fine bike choice.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I saw an FXR that had forward controls but the guy had the mid pegs on them too.
Just another option with forward controls.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
I love the color.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Monkeyboy, congrats and welcome to the club.
Before you go through the gymnastics on changing the horn put a beefier bracket on it.
I've had 2 of the stock ones snap and on the used heavier steel bent into a "u" shape.
So far so good.

Enjoy the new to you ride!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! It looks like a Superglide, they came with a single disk up front, I have dual disks and my brake lever works like yours, "I don't get much travel and it doesn't feel like it can be "feathered". It just kind of comes to a dead stop" - yup, mine too. If you ride a lot it's nice having the option of moving your feet around, maybe keep the mids and get highway pegs, or get forwards and keep the mids. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If ya can tuck your legs in with the mids the bike will handle better using them.
Use them for a while before you decide. If you take them off, dont lose the parts.
You can replace most of the stuff through VtwinMFG, and DragSpecialties catalog,
but the brake pedal , I have not seen aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the info. As I said, I'll probably keep the mids and see how they work out after the bars get changed. If I decide to take them off after the bar change, I'm def. gonna hang on to them. I've been poking around Ebay and have seen some prett ratty sets going for $300.00 and up. Initially I thought I was looking at something different but nope, they're the same as on my bike. Then I thought, hey, this thing might be worth more if I part it out......j/k. There's a big bike show/swap meet coming up next month not too far from here. I'm almost afraid to go because I'm sure my head will be full of expensive ideas. Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep everyone updated on the transformation from "just some bike" to MY bike.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the color.
Yeah, the color is nice. I've got an '05 FXD Chopper blue but this looks like it has some green in it. I'm glad it's not the same color as the other bike so I'll be able to tell them apart....:hystria:

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
If that is in fact an original fxr front brake, I would change that asap. I had one on my bike when I bought it. I called it HD ABS at the time. No matter how hard you pulled on the front brake, it was not going to lock up the front wheel. Trouble was that it was not going to stop the bike, either. I've had a PM 4 caliper system on my front for years now and that has been a pleasure when compared with the original fxr brake.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Nice looking bike!

Your problem with your horn reminds me of years back a friend of mine's FXR's horn didn't work either. So he mounted one of these bicycle horns on his handlebars:

We were there when he was trying to convince the inspection guy that it should pass. My buddy was adamant that it should. The guy had him go down the street just a short bit, turn around and toot it. We all started laughing as we couldn't hear it at all. FAIL.

Enjoy your new ride and yes, get that horn fixed!

rkc

·
Registered
828 Posts
If that is in fact an original fxr front brake, I would change that asap. I had one on my bike when I bought it. I called it HD ABS at the time. No matter how hard you pulled on the front brake, it was not going to lock up the front wheel.
man, thats a good thing.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
man, thats a good thing.
Not locking up the front wheel is a very, very good thing. I'm wondering if anyone is ever going to come out with an aftermarket ABS braking system that would fit the fxr? I would like a lot of modern stuff on my fxr but I can live without just about all of them. Having an ABS braking system would be one thing I would consider even if it were quite expensive.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey, have fun swapping out that horn. It sits under the battery box. They say you have to remove the rear wheel to get it out. I put mine up on a jack and dropped the swing arm low enough to reach in and slide it out on the belt side of the bike.....good luck..
Put your bike on a jack and remove the bolts from the bottom shock mounts.......you don't have to contort yourself, or remove wheels, etc. When you have the old horn in your hand, look at it and you may see a small hole covered with black adheasive tape. WD40 in the hole may get your horn working again.....worth a try.

Congrats on your FXR...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd install 13.5" rear shocks and 2" over front fork tubes (along with the necessary cables and lines) to make it handle more like the "S". But then I'm biased.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Put your bike on a jack and remove the bolts from the bottom shock mounts.......you don't have to contort yourself, or remove wheels, etc. When you have the old horn in your hand, look at it and you may see a small hole covered with black adheasive tape. WD40 in the hole may get your horn working again.....worth a try.

Congrats on your FXR...
That's what I meant to say as to NOT remove the back wheel. Drop swing arm with wheel intact, remove bottom shock mounts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When my horn went bad I replaced it with a J&P Part: 360-110 (JPCycles)
this is a small electric/air horn set that can be HEARD.
Fabricated a bracket to mount the electric horn on the down tubes but
be sure to make the mount low enough profile so your fender will not interface
with the horn.....yes we found out the hard way.
Old horn remains in place to retain originality.
The mid pegs have been replaced with floorboards which makes a more comfortable ride
for my wife and myself, but the controls remain intact except for the heel shift knob which is a distraction when used with the floorboards.
http://photobucket.com/ka1vcq

Ed

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
When my horn went bad I replaced it with a J&P Part: 360-110 (JPCycles)
this is a small electric/air horn set that can be HEARD.
Fabricated a bracket to mount the electric horn on the down tubes but
be sure to make the mount low enough profile so your fender will not interface
with the horn.....yes we found out the hard way.
Old horn remains in place to retain originality.
The mid pegs have been replaced with floorboards which makes a more comfortable ride
for my wife and myself, but the controls remain intact except for the heel shift knob which is a distraction when used with the floorboards.
http://photobucket.com/ka1vcq

Ed

Ed Like that FXRT in Red... I have a Stebel horn that style, was looking to mount it
at the top of the downtubes, until I realized it would "interface" with the fender..
Maybe a little more detail, or a quick pic of how you ended up mounting that horn.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 75 Posts