V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in a small town in Minnesota, about 1300 people, with 1 brother, which I shared a Honda 50 with. We lived off my moms salary after her divorce so money was really tight as you can imagine. I asked for a new scoot one year and got a little plastic motorcycle. My mom still thinks this was cute, I still don’t, even after all these years. I started my first job at 12 and was building barns and a High school drop out by 16. I joined the Navy at 17 just to get the hell out of that life. It was one of the better choices I’ve made.

The first 5 years in the Navy were spent in D.C. as part of the Honor Guard and working in the armory. Great tour. Saw Amy Carters tree house up close, been up stairs in the White House, marched in Regan’s Inauguration, marched in Omar Bradley’s funeral to the grave site, and stood with the Navy flag on the tomb when they laid to rest the unknown soldier from Vietnam. I’m very proud of all these things, I’m glad to have had the opportunity. Got married, bad choice.

Went out to see the real Navy, man what a difference, but I had a great time. I commissioned the USS Bunker Hill in Boston. I’ve been through the Panama Canal, sailed across the equator and been initiated as a Golden Shellback. I’ve been to Australia, Philippines, Singapore, and various other places. I was in the gulf when our battle group shelled the oil rigs in the mid 80’s. I’ve been to sea for 118 days straight without touching land. (ask a sailor, it’s a long friggin time) It was all good. I got out after 10 because my ship was changing homeports to Japan and I didn’t want to go. Got divorced, good choice.

At this point I thought I would get any job I wanted. I was stupid! I’ve sold cars, alarm systems for the home, mutual fund, and life insurance. If you totaled all the money up that I made during that period it would come to less than a grand, pitiful. Swallowed pride. I got a job making hydraulic hoses out the side of a van and installing them on heavy equipment at the job site. A friend got me an interview working on Navy guns. Got the job and have been working on guns and missile launchers ever since. Finally made some money. Got married again, great choice.

I’ve lived in Japan for 3 out of the last 5 years, so much for not wanting to go to Japan. I have almost always had a motorcycle, but this March will be my first Harley. My wife laughs at me when I hear a motorcycle cruising down the street here in Nagasaki. I stop and watch the bike go by and she tells me I look like a little kid seeing my first motorcycle. I can’t help it, I love motorcycles. I’ve got a 75 Moto Guzzi in need of attention, an old Sear’s 106 in pieces scattered around the house, and a 98 VFR back in Califoria. The Ultra will be next and I already have plans for a goose neck rigid shovel for my next project bike. That’s it, I’m done. See you on the road.

Dave

Our web page

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
WOW! The Navy and your life has taken you around the block a few times. And just think, with your new Harley it will be the best adventure of them all. I've enjoyed reading your posts by the way.

Later,

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's always nice to see another squid!

Been there, done that, got the patch. Really! I have a patch with a camel just like the one on the cigarette pack (except this one has cross hairs on it) that reads, "I sailed 8,000 miles to smoke a camel". Freakin' classic... Did two West-Pacs (tours) over there during the Iran-Iraq war, and one of them got me a six pac (only a squid would understand that one).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah sned, I hear what you’re saying. We did 45 and 45, then after 100 the old man had everyone take turns in the gig and whaleboat with instructions to “drink as much as you can”. The boats did a big circle and returned for a fresh load of sober sailors. There’s nothing like drinking a six-pack as fast as you can on a tiny boat bobbing around the middle of the ocean. It primed us for the blow out we had at the Brit Club on Diego Garcia. :D :D

Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey world traveller. I also spent 3 years in Japan (Misawa up north).
My wife thinks I'm crazy when I crack the window and slow down to speed up to get an ear-full of a nearby bike. I always wondered if I was the only one that goes out of my way to recheck, listen to, or otherwise drool over bikes. Don't often see anyone else falling over anything like I do to check one out.

Enjoy the wait, toss and turn in bed at night in anticipation, and when the day comes, it won't be a disappointment!

P.S. My 7 uncles were Squids, so I joined the Air Force when the Army came calling in the early '70s! It was a good choice! England, Germany, Turkey, and Japan came my way.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts