V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fixing up my dad's old '77 FXE, and realized that is going to take longer (and more $) than originally planned. I don't have my license and have never ridden, so I decided I would start looking around to see what else is out there that I could get and learn to ride on. Last thing I want to do is spend years fixing up a sentimental bike and then drop it while I learn to ride. Long story short, found a 2001 FXD and damn do the two bikes look similar, even down to the color! Now i just have to wait for the MSF classes to start back up and I'll be riding! Really excited and am actually even more eager to get the old one done now too. It had what I believe is a Memphis Shades Road Warrior Fairing with headlight extension, but I removed that. It's not perfect, but it is perfect for me!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I was going to caution you against catching the fever, but apparently it is to late..
Enjoy the ride my friend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
In disguise
2,760 Posts
Heck, I think your learner bike is too nice to risk. It's been some years but when I took the MSF course, they provided bikes to the class. Honda 250's I think, that all worked just fine but you could tell that each one had been down a few time. Learn on one of those, not yours.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
Don't get a Honda Rebel you can buy one used cheap, but they are hard to resell. Buy a dirt bike if you can ride one through the dirt and not hurt yourself you will find a street bike is easy peasy. A bike with headlights etc will allow you to ride to the woods.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't get a Honda Rebel you can buy one used cheap, but they are hard to resell. Buy a dirt bike if you can ride one through the dirt and not hurt yourself you will find a street bike is easy peasy. A bike with headlights etc will allow you to ride to the woods.

he wasn't suggesting the OP get a 250 he was "advising" the op to take advantage of the bikes provided by the class which happen to be honda 250s.... rather than the OP dropping his FXD and making it look like onea the class bikes ;)

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
he wasn't suggesting the OP get a 250 he was "advising" the op to take advantage of the bikes provided by the class which happen to be honda 250s.... rather than the OP dropping his FXD and making it look like onea the class bikes ;)
Since he has never ridden before I meant for him to buy a small bike to hone his skills. The course here is taught by CBA/ABATE instructors and a student uses their own bike.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Eh, watch putting to much into learning to ride the bike vs learning to ride. Cagers are not prejudice they will run over you if your on your dads scoot or a 50cc.

If you can drive a standard then you got the basics to ride a scoot. Just don't forget the jiffy stand is down Ha! Don't sit at a stop light in neutral, always look in your mirrors at a intersection so's not to be runned over and you'll soon get it.

and for God sakes don't ride some cagers a$$ down the road!

Back to the scoot, Need to post pic of your dads!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts