V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing searches and reading up on 95" motors here in an attempt to get a better understanding of what I need to do when I buy my bagger and have come to a couple conclusions:

A - You guys possess an unbelivable amount of knowledge but most of it is over my head because I'm technically deficient.

B - Due to conclusion A, my head really hurts.

I'm hanging in over here...barely.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crash1292 said:
you stopped drinking too soon
What's happening crash?

Knew I shouldn't have stopped after just 8 beers yesterday. Been pouring over this tech **** since 4:30 this morning.

I need to get a life man...

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Jimmymac,
Post up what you'd like to have (parts list if you have a preference), exhaust you have in mind.....your riding style....and how often you do two up and loaded (the bike not you).

One of the guys will make a recommendation.............

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hogg831 said:
Jimmymac,
Post up what you'd like to have (parts list if you have a preference), exhaust you have in mind.....your riding style....and how often you do two up and loaded (the bike not you).

One of the guys will make a recommendation.............

Thanks Frank! Good to see you. Make the move down south yet?

Well here's the deal. I don't have a parts list so I didn't want to put up another help me with my build thread...but I guess that's what it's turning into. All the info here is great, but easily confuses a guy like me.

Little background which may help. Probably going to end up with a Electra Glide. I ride by myself 90% of the time, mostly on two lanes through the hills of Pennsylvania with the occasional road trip with my wife. I'm buying new, so I probably need to stick with Harley parts and a dealer build for the time being as not to have warranty issues. I'm thinking of going with a 2-1 exhaust as that seems to get recommended here a lot. As far as cam choice, gear seems to be the way to go, but once again, I'm probably going to be limited to buying an SE offering. A cam that gives me good torque right out of the hole is probably the way to go on a heavy bike. 203? 204?

I ain't looking to have the fastest hot rod and the spending the associated big dollars that it takes to have it. What I am looking for is more torque because the 88 is pretty sluggish on baggers IMO. Other than the additional torgue, reliability is probably the biggest thing I'm looking for. No pinging and not fussy about gas would be great.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GrayRider said:
I'm gonna take a wild guess here,.....uh,...Rolling Rock?

How'd you know Gray? Having left over TV dinners today are ya?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Post the model bike. Your riding style, single / two up ? back roads / highway ? How much do you weigh ? How much can you spend ? Thats a good start and will help sort out some of your options

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the Street Glide. I'm 190 pounds. Wife weighs 120. Mostly two lane. Mostly by myself. Don't hot rod too much, but I also ain't lookin at the flowers too much either. Don't want to add much more than $2000 including the pipe to the purchase price. Maybe stretch that to $2500... Just looking to get some better performance than what the 88 offers. I'm used to riding a Sporty, so the baggers in stock form seem pretty lame in comparison.

Maybe I'm just insane, which is a distinct possibility.

·
Banned
249 Posts
seeing as it sounds like your haveing the dealer install this on a new bike and you probably want to keep the warranty intact

95in se flat top pistons
204 se cam
v/h 2-1 exhaust
se breather
sert tuner
baisley spring

you can always do heads and gear drive after the warranty expires

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
crash1292 said:
seeing as it sounds like your haveing the dealer install this on a new bike and you probably want to keep the warranty intact

95in se flat top pistons
204 se cam
v/h 2-1 exhaust
se breather
sert tuner
baisley spring

Crash has suggested what I would do, given the constraints you've mentioned and I've also heard that you can sometimes find the SE Performance heads on eBay sometimes for a very, very reasonable price. These are good pieces! This of course is inlieu of the option of having your heads sent out for a street port job which would run $300-$400. A good street port job helps build torque very nicely! With the heads opened up, you should have a motor that does around a 100ft-lbs and around 90hp with a good dyno tune and that will be a real fun ride!

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
And with ported and cleaned up heads, the bike will run a lot cooler too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
crash1292 said:

95in se flat top pistons
204 se cam
v/h 2-1 exhaust
se breather
sert tuner
baisley spring

I'm in the exact same position as Jimmymac. I want a street glide with some ad-ons with out spending much over $2000.00. My question is that this look like it will cost me well over $2K with labor, it that accurate?

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
crash1292 said:

95in se flat top pistons
204 se cam
v/h 2-1 exhaust
se breather
sert tuner
baisley spring

Thanks crash. Pretty much looks like HD's standard BB kit other than the 204 in lieu of the 203. If I end up with a carbed bike instead of EFI, I obviously won't need the SERT. Do you think the stock CV carb will work alright with this mild build?

I know...Do a search, but you know what... This morning I can't even get the search function to work at all. This is maddening. I've had to go page by page and that's pretty much useless.

Thanks for the help man.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
crash1292 said:
I had the 203 cam ,it is a very mild cam. the 204 pulls a little harder and longer.
stock carb rejetted will work fine

Thanks again man. I know these questions are mundane and have been answered before.

I've spent a good many hours doing searches here. Sometimes I can get it to work, other times...no go. It seems that if I use more than one word for my search criteria it craps out. I cleared my cookies thinking that would help, but still no luck.

I appreciate your help.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
jimmymac said:
Thanks Frank! Good to see you. Make the move down south yet?
Doing good! Didn't move yet, but I won't have to deal with Illinois winter next year!! Hope to be settled by mid to end of summer.

Hey, don't sweat the questions....fire away! I like seeing Crash get all techie anyway!!

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hogg831 said:
Doing good! Didn't move yet, but I won't have to deal with Illinois winter next year!! Hope to be settled by mid to end of summer.

Hey, don't sweat the questions....fire away! I like seeing Crash get all techie anyway!!

Good for you Frank.

Crash has been a help for sure. I am a bit hesitant about asking questions though. You know... The more I read, the more I worry about having the dealer do the BB upgrade. Lot's of horror stories man. I don't know anything about tearing into a motor, but as crazy as it sounds, I may be better off going that route. Kills the warranty, but at least I wouldn't be tied to SE parts.

I dunno. Lot's to think about. The amount of technical know how here is incredible.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hey Mac...with all the searching you have been doing...should be pretty obvious who here are the real tech savvy guys.
fire away with any and all questions , I have yet to see these guys not respond.
And if you think it's all been asked before...no big deal
There is always the use of pm's to get info as well

1 - 20 of 30 Posts