V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
128 Posts
Wow, looks great, but I dont see an intercooler anywhere, how much reliable boost do you plan on putting down? Are your running the proper forged low compression pistons?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MechaGodzilla said:
Wow, looks great, but I dont see an intercooler anywhere, how much reliable boost do you plan on putting down? Are your running the proper forged low compression pistons?
no intercooler needed on a draw through type set up.
the boost is going to be low boost, 6 - 8 # so heat build up isnt reelly a concern and with the low boost and proper tuning, forged pistons are not needed as well.
I race a boosted car and pretty much have it figured out.
Real world not looking to make killer power, I could have gone the built motor and big turbo route, but really just looking to create a kit that can be bolted on and get in the 100+ / 100+ range reliably. easily and cheaper than the typical heads, jugs, cam routine.
Tons of "wow" factor mainly and on top of that, a sporty that will burn the tire off the rim when wanted :)

·
Banned
128 Posts
TexasRoadster said:
no intercooler needed on a draw through type set up.
the boost is going to be low boost, 6 - 8 # so heat build up isnt reelly a concern and with the low boost and proper tuning, forged pistons are not needed as well.
I race a boosted car and pretty much have it figured out.
Real world not looking to make killer power, I could have gone the built motor and big turbo route, but really just looking to create a kit that can be bolted on and get in the 100+ / 100+ range reliably. easily and cheaper than the typical heads, jugs, cam routine.
Tons of "wow" factor mainly and on top of that, a sporty that will burn the tire off the rim when wanted :)
I agree, an intercooler isnt needed on low boost, but forged pistons should be used.
I know in the automotive world alot of people will use and get away with cast pistons on some of the bolt on kits available with low boost in the 6psi range, but their engines are also liquid cooled. The heat buildup on an air cooled motor will be significant even with low boost applications, and I have seen too many ringlands give way on cast pistons with tuning thats less than optimal. All it takes is a split second of running to lean to have that happen.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MechaGodzilla said:
I agree, an intercooler isnt needed on low boost, but forged pistons should be used.
I know in the automotive world alot of people will use and get away with cast pistons on some of the bolt on kits available with low boost in the 6psi range, but their engines are also liquid cooled. The heat buildup on an air cooled motor will be significant even with low boost applications, and I have seen too many ringlands give way on cast pistons with tuning thats less than optimal. All it takes is a split second of running to lean to have that happen.
I hear ya. This bike will be tuned on a dyno, also has a boost guage, a wide band and digital display and a smart tuner.
the object here is to create a kit that the average Joe can buy and install on a stocker. There is a guy named Sam Dakin with 2 speed records on his turbo harley and a stocker turbo sporty to ride around and play on, its been happy for a few years now and its the one I modeled mine after.
My goal is to get this in kit form and cheap enough for all to enjoy, just gonna do some more testing , etc first.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She LIVES!
I started her a few minutes ago, man o man does she ever whistle like crazy!
Sounds freakin' awesome. Still have some odds and ends to finish but am close to riding soon.
feel like a kid with a new toy {salute(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
an early peek at the heat shield I am working on, I need to clean the edges and space it 1/4" off the pipe. It will be painted high heat silver to match the case.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looking great...start gettin them knocked out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts