V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's the aging thing, but these $85 HD gloves are NOT cutting it this year. I hafta do SOMETHING! Any suggestions or reccomendations of the non-wired sort would REALLY be appreciated!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Hows about looking into heated grips?

·
Rider
848 Posts
2s Wild said:
Maybe it's the aging thing, but these $85 HD gloves are NOT cutting it this year. I hafta do SOMETHING! Any suggestions or reccomendations of the non-wired sort would REALLY be appreciated!
Have you tried glove liners? Check with a ski/camping type of store.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Polypro glove liners. Get 'em at a surplus store.
I need to look into those also. I've heard they work well.

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
I've got Gerbings heated gloves which I hook up but don't turn on unless I start getting numb fingers. Seems like I can go about 20 miles in 40 degree weather before I notice the cold and then I turn them on and it's amazing how great it feels. With that I am good for the next hundred plus miles. I went over thirty years trying every kind of non-heated alternative and some, like rubber gloves, worked better than others but eventually I would get numb fingers and had to worry about reaction time and so forth. Once I got the heated gloves I was amazed at how much more cold weather riding I could do. (By the way I've also got their heated liner to go with the gloves).

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can live with both the feel and the image mittens work much
better than gloves. Ski mittens with liners are great and can be found at a
reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
tnrider said:
If you can live with both the feel and the image mittens work much
better than gloves. Ski mittens with liners are great and can be found at a
reasonable price.
Three finger mittens work good too and give you a bit more dexterity than full mittens. Also there is a product called Polar Hands or Hippo Hands that work extremely well. Heres a link http://www.heeters.com/snbgauntlets.shtml. Also try http://www.hippohands.com/

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I use the Polar Hands and they work very well with good gloves. They block the wind and eliminate the wind chill effect. Makes a big difference.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I've also got the $85 gloves, my fingers froze. Bought the ski glove liners, stretched the gloves out a little and still froze. I was seriously worried about frost bite. Got the heated gloves from Zanotti's for about $120, excellent.

Chris

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...for extended periods of riding, I use this TOUR MASTER Cold Front Carbon winter glove. It doesn't give much "feel" for the controls, but your fingers (and the always cold thumb) stay warm.

For my morning commute to work, I wear this VANSON Lineman winter glove, which gives great feel and lots of warmth. I wouldn't wear it touring the Arctic Circle, but for a 20 mile trip to work in the 30's, it'll keep the parts from freezing off.

...of course on the really cold days, the Gerbing Jacket Liner comes out, and everything stays warm.

I thought about getting some of these, but the weather warmed up before I bought some. I might get some next year though.

HIPPO HANDS

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I have a pair of guantlet gloves I bought at Gander Mountain. They are 150 gram thinsulate and made for extreme cold and low activity. these are by far the best gloves I have ever owned for warmth without electrics been out for 2-3 hours in 20* before I get the cold fingers. And there not bulky and they were only $29. Cabela's pinnacle are the same ones but they are $39

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
I've got a circulation problem in my hands - they start to HURT below about 45 degrees. My mini-fairing doesn't cover the hands, which makes things worse ... After messing around with winter-weight gloves, poly glove liners, even snowmobile mittens, I broke down and bought heated gloves. That solved the problem.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
2s Wild said:
Hey...I might have the answer...I have some heated liners I'm gettin' off of so I can get the gloves..."IM" me if you're interested (I have all the wiring you'll need)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an hour long commute in the morning and my hands have been freezing also so on a suggestion I bought the Cabela's gloves mentioned here earlier and they work great but you do loose some control over the clutch from the bulkiness.
I almost bought some electric ones as I do have the connections for them but didn't want the expense.

Later,
Ray

·
Registered
958 Posts
Along with liners(I prefer silk) and mittens,I'd suggest you try some adjustments to your handlebars if you can. For me anyway,I've found having the correct height/length makes a huge differance in how cold your hands get.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm using a product called Handlebar Chaps. This is the best thing I've found yet. They don't look too great, but will work down into the 20's. Check out the Scootworks.com website.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Look down in the riding gear section or do a search. I believe one of the guys goes by ratt, says to get a elec vest or jacket liner and you won't have problems with your hands depending on how cold it is. The hands getting cold has to do with hypothermia. ratt explains it pretty good. I'll find out when I get home in couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I bought a pair of Thinsulate cloth gloves from WalMart for $7.00. Best pair I have ever had. Keeps the wind out and body heat in. I've been riding for 35 years and have tried just about every type of gloves available. Hippo Hands (see previous post) work real well using regular or no gloves on the hands. They look a little wierd however.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts