V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a female rider. I’ve been riding 31/2 years and am on my second Harley. My current ride is a 2002 FXDL. I call her my “Blue Beauty”. I’d like to share my recent ride adventure. I haven’t posted much before—having been saving it up!!! Hope you enjoy.
I have been riding bunches of places with my bud, both far and wide. After meeting and listening to the solo adventures of Amanda from the R.M.H. newsgroup last summer at the Buck-N-Gator in Sturgis, I began to think I could do a ride on my own too. When I brought up the subject, my bud gave me the best encouragement I could have hoped for. My family insisted I was nuts. Maybe they’re a little right.
Spring break being here, I made a two-night reservation on the Internet for Solvang and Santa Barbara CA. Made sure insurances and towing papers were in order, picked up a standard size set of saddle. Armed with towing papers and credit cards… I was off!
Weather forecast: Cloudy with light showers. Looked like it was going to be an accurate forecast, so I packed rain gear. I headed out the scenic route from Pasadena through Box Canyon over Topanga Canyon and onto PCH. I was cold on the outside, but excitement was keeping me warm on the inside.
This warm and fuzzy excitement did not endure by the time I hit Oxnard. No rain, but my hands were stiff and frozen. I stopped by a Kawasaki dealer to ask about silk glove liners. Talked with the owner who was only too happy to chat about what a beautiful place this area is to ride. Recommended taking San Marcos Pass to Solvang instead of the highway. Rolling green hillsides with scattered oak trees. Few cars and houses interrupted the view. I saw a street called Paradise. I think I would have to agree that living out there would be close to paradise as anything.
Checked into Buellton’s Motel 6. Older lady at front told me to park my bike below my window on the sidewalk. I knew I heard her wrong and asked her to repeat herself. She said “I know that’s how you bikers like to park your bikes.”
Unpacked and headed for the spinning and weaving store I’d visited about 10-12 years ago. The owners Marsha and John spent about two hours sharing knowledge about the trade. I was thrilled to learn so much about the content of different fabrics and their origin (I’m a first grade teacher) that I had difficulty choosing which books I wanted to take home to my school kids. We spent so much time talking about the terrific biking areas around that I knew me and my bud had to return to experience those places together.
I was in the mood for steak and the Hitching Post about 3 miles towards Buellton was the spot: local steak and wine provided by the owner of the place. Watched my steak grilled to perfection right from my small table. A perfect end to a perfect day.
Morning weather delivered same cold and gray. I warmed up with hot coffee, waffle and crepe at Solvang restaurant. Both came with strawberries, blueberries and fresh homemade whip cream.
Since check out isn’t until 12:00, I strolled through a few of the women’s clothing stores. No trip would be complete without it, would it? Now I can feel all you male riders' eyeballs rolling up in your heads as you read this, but wait… I have discovered a cure for your eyeball disorder. Since I was alone, there was no male outside waiting with only the whites of his eyes showing, arms crossed his chest and feet tapping the sidewalk. No eyeball thing… no guilt…no problem.
Returning home a few items heavier, I suddenly could hear my boyfriend’s voice telling me “You have to pack and carry back everything you bring on your bike. Remember I’m not there to help you out!” All I can say was “Thank God for the empty backpack and bungie net I brought along just in case of an emergency such as this.”
After packing up, admiring my newest talent of packing and tying down, I was approached by a real life Gideon. "Bob" asked me if I knew Jesus. I was dearly hoping this question was not prompted by my packing job. I told him “Yes, indeed I knew Jesus”. We talked awhile and agreed to meet again in heaven sometime. He asked one favor though, could he hear the pipes scream? I proudly obliged and waved at Bob, him grinning ear to ear as I roared off.
Drove down 101 to Santa Barbara. Not thinking leather chaps necessary for a short ride. Wrong! Now while I believe getting lost on a motorcycle is never a bad thing, it could be considered a negative when your butt, hands, and face are freezing off. Did see a few signs for possible trips, but my mind was on checking in at the motel.
Found the place and discovered the room had a bathtub!!!
I promptly stuffed washcloths in all drain holes and filled that baby up to the brim. Ahhh.
After that, there was ordering in a pizza and snuggling up to a good book.
Next morning packing the bike was again a necessity. I decided that this was not my favorite part of riding. Ate breakfast at a little restaurant where I am now properly dressed for the cloudy cold day, thinking I scared some of the older patrons.
Visited the Museum of Natural History and was especially impressed with the Condor display. Walking out to go home, I walked into a John Cleese. Those of you who have enjoyed Faulty Towers and Monty Python will know whom I’m referring to. I embarrassed to say that I was so flustered that I didn’t speak. However I did think of ten great things that I "should" have said while I was on my three-hour drive home. Found out that Cleese is a patron of the museum and lives nearby. This calls for another trip sometime soon before I forget all my witty introductions.
Finally the trip home Mr. Sun showed his beautiful warm face as I entered the city of Calabasas. Finally, it was warm for the rest of the trip.
As I parked my bike in the garage, I commented to myself, that this was only the first of many trips I want to make on my own.
'Hope you enjoyed the story of my first solo "overnighter"!

:D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
What a great story! I could feel the excitement as if I was there with you. That's so cool. I am so glad you joined us here and thanks for sharing that adventure story with us.

And most of all........Welcome to the forum!

Later,

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Great story. Read it with envy. Even though I hail from the Boston area, my Grandmother lives in Oxnard and my Aunt lives in Camarillo. How I wish I could have road with you and made a quick stop in that beautiful area.;)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Quite a Story!

Well, huckelberry1, that's quite a first solo overnighter story! :) Everyone remembers their first overnighter. Usually, it's with fond memories. Sounds like you will fondly recall your first solo overnight trip.

There's nothing quite like the lone motorcyclist riding down the road--the peace, the pleasure, the adventure. Being out there alone on the open road is one of the greatest experiences in the wordl.

You were inspired by a woman you met last summer. Maybe your story will inspire other female riders to take the plunge and give them the encouragement to take a solo overnighter. And all of us can benefit from your overnighter experiences.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Welcome to the HDforum!

Good story and congratulations on the accomplishment!

Being on the road is really a great way to relax and "think". Unfortunately, while I'm thinking, I pass up my exits quite often! :p

We look forward to reading more of your stories.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Straydog said:
Welcome to the HDforum!

Being on the road is really a great way to relax and "think". Unfortunately, while I'm thinking, I pass up my exits quite often! :p

LMAO! Straydog, I just had to comment on this part. I guess some of us are just alike in some ways. I find myself enjoying the ride and "thinking" and it happens to me more often than I'd care to admit. Maybe I'm over-thinking. LOL

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's an excellent story, sounds like you really had a great time. Maybe someday I'll try it, but for right now I'm content riding with the old man in my rearview mirror.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Hey that was a great story - I just started riding (Parking lots) but will be hitting the road soon. I used to live in Santa Barbara (that is Paradise don't you know?) I plan to take a ride out there as an overniter what a wonderful trip to go up PCH through Santa Barbara. Always said I would take that ride when I got my bike. Now it's a reality. Thanks for the story.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, Medicinewoman
I'm happy you enjoyed the post. I sure will never forget the ride. Yes, I agree Santa Barbara is one heaven on earth
However, I know another. I'll be riding there and spending eight days this August...Lake Tahoe. My former high school stomping grounds. I can't wait till I get to ride my Harley around the 72 mile lake. I plan to go one direction one day, then go the opposite way the next day.
Before I get to Tahoe, I'll have spent 5 days riding up the coast. I'm 43 and I finally get to see Pismo, Monterey and Big Sur close up!
I have only one concern: Packing cloths for 14 days! My solo trip was 3 days. Packing for that was easy. But 14.... I guess I'll find out about washing cloths on the road. One thing that will help is I'm riding with my boyfriend Jim. He's got a big ol' Electra Glide with bags everywhere. He posts as pasadenajim on this forum. We are looking forward to this adventure.
Seeing heaven on a motocycle...well, I sure am a lucky girl!

This weekend we'll be going down to San Diego and meeting up with a couple guys from the fourm from Texas, KrazyGG and FifthGear. Should be fun.
Keep in touch. Ride safe.
Lisa

·
Registered
113 Posts
Solo Ride

Mam , that sure was a neat story . Just remember what we said to pack on long trips and you will have no problem . By the way the reason Jim has all those bag's is to carry his Cigar's , so don't think you can fill them up with any junk . HaHa Be cool and we'll see ya later .

G.G.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You go. It's called Therapy "Mental and Physical"!!!!!!!!!

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
GHreat story and glad you had a safe and fun adventure. I have had the pleasure of spending some time in Santa Barbara and it is breathtaking. driving along the Pacific ocean at sunrise or sunset is unbelievable. Have fun and ride safe, you and Jim are quite the storytellers!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts