V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first big twin shovelhead. It's an 83 FLHT and I traded a gun for it.

Immediate plans are:

1. Replace rusted out mufflers.

2. Adjust lifters

3. Fix all the lights (no turn signals on right side, rear fender tip light inop)

4. Replace oil bath set up with O'Ring chain.

5. Looking for a lock set (one key to fit EVERYTHING)

6. Spoke wheel on the front.

7. Convert the dash and uglyassed tank.

8. Paint (probably something simple that I can do myself)

9. Solo seat

10. Removeable back rest/sissy bar for when the wife wants to come along.

11. Chrome it up a bit!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like a nice project, good luck. 1 little hint and I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I believe the lids on your bags come off. If so you can use a piece of 12 gauge wire and some eye connectors to secure the lids to the bags. I had one blow off in front of me on a poker run not much fun for me or the bike owner. This rarely happens but it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How long since it's been rode or fired up? if it's been sittin awhile it'll be a good idea ta run some motor flush through it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks like a nice project, good luck. 1 little hint and I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I believe the lids on your bags come off. If so you can use a piece of 12 gauge wire and some eye connectors to secure the lids to the bags. I had one blow off in front of me on a poker run not much fun for me or the bike owner. This rarely happens but it's cheap insurance.
I have had my 83 since 86 or so and It has been a great bike. If you can save the enclosed chain set up, do it, I have around 200,000 on the original spockets and they are still good for a couple more tires . Learn it, live it, run it.
Mine was the same configuration and I swapped for the tank that came out a couple years later, swapped for a regular service windshield. 10 years ago i put an evo in it an built a custom with the shovel.
I disagree about the lids rarely coming off. They come off everytime you do not lock them with a key, sometimes even if you do. They seem to get run over as soon as they fly off and have twice lost one right in front of cops, Giving the officer an invitation to visit while I picked up., actually it was their duty to see if I was drunk or just stupid.
I finally drilled holes in the little tabs in the front fastener for spring clips which are tied by guitar strings to the bike so I don't lose the clips every time I takethe lids off. Great bike. Move slow on changes. If you do go o-ring or some custom belt set up.Save those enclosed chain parts, guys like me love them, they an't ever gonna be more parts made and we will pay real money. I used to have a bunch of extra spockets for the future. the future came and my sprockets were still like new and i have twice moved away leaving NOS sprockests hanging on the wall.
These frames are ugly to the bone but with good rubber mounts, heim joints, , good pivet shaft componets, correct shock stiffness( anything but worn otu squishy, tire pressure correct and roughy equal tire tread depth wear front to rear, and wheel alignment. Sound like a lot? How about only once for some of the above items in almost 30 years.They are about the best handling big motorcycle, and the best handling harley ever made. They have enough ground clearence to heel over and leave any lower and or newer bike in the dust . The ugly can be made far worse and the entire handling totally useless by attempting to chop them. Leave it stock or get a frame more suitable. You might do as I did, I didn't like anything about it at first, and was going to change everything soon, but I had a lot of riding to do in the meantime. I would never have even considered a windsheild on a bike i owned before this one, and had the bike not had such a hideous speedo- headlight asembly i would have thrown my batwing fairing away and never rode it an inch with a windsheild.
I hated them! Now I would take the windsheild out of my truck, before going without one on my bikes I use for long distance.
Even with my broken 60 + year old back i can do 700 to 1000 per day every day, day after day. I have to stop to pee more now so the youngsters can catch up. Good luck. Get a factory manual. NOW! There are some important differences between the models even within the years. There are some professional (?) wrenches who have been blasting these bikes since they were made for being hard to work on. They didn't read the book. taking the back wheel off is easy as pie but you wiil feel like an idiot if you don't do it like the book says.Now. Don't do anything you can't undo till you are damn sure. Treat her right and you will be very glad you bought that bike

·
Registered
217 Posts
[/IMG]
Pardon my dust < I've been riding my other bike, and have "Traveler" postioned for a tranny main gear seal replacement, when I slow down. It will be the first ever on the all original tranny. People think i either lie or don't ride it. Go by the book my friend I shirt you not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts