V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to be the most basic question, but I can't find the answer and the search function doesn't seem to be working on this site.
I decided to change the engine oil in my 2005 FXSTI. I am no stranger to oil changes having had about 14 bikes in my time, but never a HD. I went for a ride to heat the oil, emptied it out of the tank through the proper drain hole and changed the filter. I noticed that only about 2 1/4 quarts of oil came out, yet the book says, "Do not add more than 3.5 quarts of oil", presumably the maximum capacity. So why does at least a quart get left in the sump? This has to mean that new oil is 1/3 contaminated with the old oil at every refill. There is a small (about 1/4 inch) screw with a hex head set into the base of the sump (right side). I was tempted to unscrew this figuring that the remaining 1 quart would then run out. Should I have done that? (I didn't!). Finally, I know the oil level was correct before changing it and it is OK now, Still I only used just over 2 quarts to refill it.
I guess if there is still 1 quart of old oil in the sump, then the engine isn't stressed by starting for the first time after an oil change and running with virtually no oil for a few seconds while it waits for the new stuff to get pumped through. Is this why?
Curious!
Any advice?
Giles..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have always put 3 quarts into my FLSTF when I do my oil changes! Could you have lost some when you removed the oil filter? I know that there will be some oil left in the engine after you drain it, but as to how much I am not sure. My manual says 3.5 quarts of oil, so I am asuming 1/2 quart should still be in the motor!

·
Banned
169 Posts
Giles said:
So why does at least a quart get left in the sump?
Your tank is higher than the anti-drain back valve and it's getting past the valve while the bike sets. depending on how much drained back into the sump it could take quite a while for the pump to get it back into the tank. I have seen them (anti-drain) valves so bad you would have a good quart drain back in the first half hour after shutting the motor down. If in doubt, it's always a good idea to drain the sump first.

I have this tool and it works for getting all the dirty oil out too.

http://www.2armcyclestore.com/catal...id/54?osCsid=0b4cf94fdf70a7ad0eeba6657e0e4d38

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil removal thing!

Hi KKRider,
I have just ordered one of your oil removal tools. As I see it, it fits where the filter would normally fit and lets you bleed off the quart (or so) of dirty oil left in the engine by firing up the motor for a few seconds. Sounds well worth a try.
By the way, any idea what that little (1/4 inch) plug is for on the bottom of the sump?
Thanks
giles..

·
Banned
169 Posts
Hey, Giles

This is my first Twin Cam and I haven't changed the oil yet, so I can't be certain if that little pipe plug is a sump drain or not, but I intend to find out this week. I would bet it is though because it's at the lowest point of the sump and It's usually a 1/4" pipe thread plug.

It can be a real eye opener draining that sump if you take short rides in the cold of if your bike gets soaked real good too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That little plug down under.

Hi KKRider,
Please let me know what you find when you unscrew that little (sump??) plug, and if it does actually allow you to drain out that last quart of old ugly oil. If so it would be much easier that using some sort of flexible pipe fixed to a dummy oil filter adapter.
(I once had a Honda CB750 which had a plug screwed into the engine block with the immortal words "do not open" written on it. I never did open it, but I was very tempted!)
Thanks,
giles..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KKRider,
I posted the question about why not unscrew this little plug we're talking about. The answer came back loud and clear: "don't mess with it". Thought I'd better warn you

·
Banned
169 Posts
Giles said:
KKRider,
I posted the question about why not unscrew this little plug we're talking about. The answer came back loud and clear: "don't mess with it". Thought
I'd better warn you
Thanks Giles...You won't need to take the 1/4" pipe plug out once you get the oil removal tool from "two arm", but I can assure you no harm will come from removing that plug if you do, and it's a very good way to remove all the oil, and sometimes "water". Not to say a wise man unsure of his wrenching skills shouldn't first mark the plug so he will have reference for not overtightened it. Tightening it a degree or two tighter than it first was is about right. Doing so, the plug will never leak or come loose. I'm speaking from experience like the one guy (sorry I forgot his name) in the other post.

You can take that to the bank!

That exact same plug is in the sump of Evo Sportsters/Buells and I have been routinely removing it with every oil change for as long as I can remember... Even between oil changes if the bike has sat for extended periods or if I rode in very cold (freezing) weather, also if I was caught in a gully washer. One time I removed a quart and a half of water after a good soaking.

I'm only guessing on the Honda, but maybe the plug was hiding a spring and ball (check-valve) or something equally as important. No such worries with the plug we are talking about.

:cheers:

·
Registered
129 Posts
My bike (06 Dyna) no longer has the external oil lines so I think I am stuck with that 1/2 qt of dirty oil. Does anybody know if you can scavenge a Dyna sump on the 06?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
That Scavenger system looks pretty cool. Any one here actually install one and use it? Does it work as advertised? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts