V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2004 FLHT about 2 months ago. I've had a problem with eratic idle and it stalls out. It will allow me to restart it right away. I have checked for codes but there is none. After I ride it for a while it seems to misfire. It backfires through the carburetor. I've had it stall out on me while on the freeway doing 70 MPH. Before I could pull over I throttled it back to life. I have changed the plugs and wires. Seems to be running hot, then acts up on me. I would think it's the coil but it starts right back up. I need some help with this. I have been reading for a while and decided to join. This place is very informative... Please help!!!!

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
I would fist check the fuel filter and the vacuum line to the petcock, it's common for that line to split or come loose and have a low fuel flow issue.

If that checks out, then a Carb overhaul would be the next step.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would fist check the fuel filter and the vacuum line to the petcock, it's common for that line to split or come loose and have a low fuel flow issue.

If that checks out, then a Carb overhaul would be the next step.
Thank you for the input. I have already replaced filter , petcock valve , vaccuum hose. How hard is it to rebuild a mikuni hsr42???

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Depends.................For me it's very easy. But then again, I have rebuilt carbs for 40 years, that, and I do this for a living.

Buy a FACTORY kit, read the directions in your FACTORY repair manual a couple times before hand, and take your time.

Should be just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts