V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my evaluation of the Mustang Wide Studded Touring on my FXR4.

Reference Fred's post from my other thread with the pictures of this saddle on my bike, where Fred ask me, "what does my butt tell me?"

Fred1369 said:
OK, it's not the best looking seat for your bike. Befor you get rid of it, go on an 8 hour ride. Then take it off and put on the sexy LePera or Corbin that really looks cool. Go for another 8 hour ride. When you get back I bet you'll put that Corbin or LePara up on ebay and put the Mustang back on your bike.
Yesterday (9/20/07) I rode 167 miles. Mostly on country roads and some small country towns.
I found the saddle to be supportive. Wide in the front. Higher than stock. It seems to be shorter from front to back than stock. It's more comfortable than stock and I can ride it longer without feeling the need to move around or get off than I can with stock. At the end of the ride my butt did not hurt/was not sore.

Today (9/21/07) I rode 264 miles.
While Fred challenged me to ride 8 hours, this took only 6 hours. I only got off the bike 3 times, once for lunch, once for rain jacket and once for gas.

Now before you flame me, let me say, this route is all secondary and state highways, no interstate. A lot of country riding with about 30% of urban sprawl put in there.
The reason I designed this route was to give me a flavor of open highway riding for periods of time, and a combination of city/town stop and go.

Of the 264 miles I've been on about 120 miles of before, so I had some new sites to see and time NOT to think about the saddle.

So what did I conclude.

Bottom line, I could keep this saddle forever. I don't LOVE it, but I can ride it all day with no problem. At age 60 I have other things that bothered me before my ass gave out on this saddle. My left knee got stiff, my neck got tired, my upper back was tired and wanted a rest.

Here are some of the things that I notice about the saddle that I don't like.
It's higher than stock and I'd like to be lower
I feel like I'm sitting "ON" the saddle, not in it
I felt like that it's to short from front to back
I felt like it hit me under the back of my thighs and should be more round where my legs start to drop down off the saddle
For me, it's too wide in the nose area and spreads my legs further apart than I like, especially at stops.
At the end of the ride my butt did not hurt and was not sore

What did I like about it:
It offers good support, not too stiff, not too soft
It's wide enough to move around on a bit
I didn't notice any 'hot spots'
Nothing on my butt was screaming at me 'GET OFF'
I realized that with this saddle that there would be 'other' things that would cause me to have to stop before it would be the saddle

overall - I could live with this saddle, but I'm not going to
I don't like the looks of it on my bike and for me (5'9" 175pounds) it's not that much better than the stock. Better, FOR SURE, not enough to make me what to change it considering what to me, is a much better looking saddle.

I've ridden the stock saddle for several 8+hour days. As in just this spring I rode mostly state highways from Columbia SC, to Daytona, with some interstate highway as we got closer to Daytona. Did I get tired of sitting on that seat, yeah, but I get tired in the truck too. I had nothing on the bike that was screaming at me that I had to get off, or HAD to stop.

Again, there are other things that makes me get off the bike. HOWEVER.......... This saddle is MORE COMFORTABLE than the stock saddle FOR SURE.
Better than something else that I can get, which might look as good or better than the stock saddle ? wtf knows :)

·
GoFast!
263 Posts
That's a good, honest review- thanks. If you find something better I'd like to know, but there isn't much out there that has both rider and passenger comfort. (that isn't a touring bike)

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's too bad they don't make it in real leather. That would be even more comfortable, and would help with sweat issues, since sitting on plastic type seats can sometimes cause sweat.

I also don't like the abrupt angle of the back support. As a taller rider, I found myself always sitting part way on the back support in order to get more leg room, and it wasn't very comfortable.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found that was true for me too

Misterb said:
I also don't like the abrupt angle of the back support. As a taller rider, I found myself always sitting part way on the back support in order to get more leg room, and it wasn't very comfortable.
I'm not a tall guy, 5'9", and I too found that the saddle was to short from front to back. I sat up on the back of the saddle a few times while riding this past weekend. Just trying to find a lil more space on the bike.
I called Mustang yesterday, they are sending me the RMA so that I can return the saddle.

Soooooooo, my quest continues. The good part, for me, is that the stock saddle doesn't 'kill' me. I've ridden it a lot, and long days, but I'm sure that I can find something else that I like better, and that looks good too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one inch

Misterb said:

since you mentioned this, and it was my experience too, I decided to measure the mustang and the stock saddle.

The mustang is one inch closer than the stock saddle. On my bike (FXR4) I measured it from the bottom of the tach gauge in the bottom of the console to the back of the riders seat.

On the stock seat it measures 25 inches, the mustang measures 24 inches.

Interesting enough to me, that one inch makes a big difference. I didn't think that on a motorcycle saddle that it would make that much difference, but it does.

I know on my bicycle that adjustments to the seat are done in mm, and you make SMALL adjustments at at time.

Anyway, being one inch closer is not more comfortable to me. It puts me too much 'over' the mid-bike controls and I most always feel like I want to slide back some more. The stock seat, at 25 inches, is just right.

I don't know how a person can get that measurement on a saddle BEFORE you put it on the bike.
Any ideas on that one ?

Mikey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts