V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about an 1 1/2 hours on the bike my butt is burning up. I know I don't have a touring bike but I need a new seat.

The bike is a 02 Night Train and it has the badlander seat. I tried my buddys Fat Boy seat and thats just as bad. I was looking at a Saddleman Seat with the gel pack. Are they comfortable or is there a better seat that retains the lines of the Night Train? I'd hate to buy a 300 P.O.S. that burns my butt just as bad. I don't mind paying the 300 for a comfortable seat and since you can't try before you buy, I am asking for someone who has had experience.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I read (in a few posts) here on the Forum that the Mustang and Corbin seats are pretty good. You could probably do a search and find them.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I too am sensitive to the burn. Definitely get something with gel for the butt burn. Saddlemen and Lepera both make models with gel, and there are a couple of other companies that can install gel packs in any seat you send them. I think one place is called ButtBuffer. I bought and tried six different seats out on my current bike before finally settling on a Saddlemen King model. The onle drawback to gel is if you leave your bike parked out in the sun, the gel will retain heat longer than a regular seat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After extensive research I finally ordered the Saddlemen Explorer from Cyborg Cycles. It came down to the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady, Lepera Sorrento 2 up, and the Saddlemen. There was a Explorer that just went off on the Internet for 230.00. Cyborgs price new was 257.40 and it will be here in 10 days. I guess I'll have to take a road trip to test it out. Thanks to all that have gone before me in this forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i use a mustang on my springer--rode from tampa to gulfport, ms for the memorial day blow-out--670 miles on friday, 670 miles back on monday--not once did my butt get sore or burn!!
frank

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They called me back and the seat is on backorder. Now I'll have to pick another. I hate when that happens.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ordered the LePera Sonnora 2-up today. It looks like the Maverick but is a lower profile. It looks comfortable. This one is in stock and I should have it within 10 days. I also think I have to extend my forward controls about 3 inches. We'll see if this solves the problem.

The dealer recommended a Harley seat, he said they were just as comfotable as the aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
try dennis kirk for you seat I know they are more expensive but they will beat any price on the net ,they say, I bought my V&H short shots for my 2001 night train from them after I Quoted them a price from cyborg cycles they matched the price with the shipping have a look at www.denniskirk.com they usually have every thing they sell in stock ! let me know how your choice of seat works out i plan on changing mine too thx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They didn't have the seats I wanted and they were over 70.00 more expensive. I'll use the savings towards the extended forward controls. Thanks. I actually called 7 different companies and wholesalers and nobody had the Saddlemen Explorer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Butt Burn

I just road from Alvin,Texas to Poway,Calif. in two days then up the Calif. coast up to Washington east to S.D. down to Denver, west to Las Vegas , then south back to Poway,Calif. then back to Alvin,Texas. I was on the road for 19 days, I ride a 02 flhtc with a Mustang seat.

Good Luck, KrazyGG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the LePera Sorrento 2-up came the other day and I installed it on my bike. Looks good but at first it seems harder than the Badlander, but I guess I have to break it in. I have to put some miles on the bike before I'll know if I made the right choice. I didn't get the gelpack because I figured I could always add it later if I had to and LePeras' foam is supposed to be one of the best. I post again after I put on some miles. I also installed the Kuryakyn Extended controls and they feel alot better except the offset of the stock brake pedal doesn't leave much room for my foot. My foot actually rest on the end of the peg. I either have to get a longer peg or a staighter brake pedal. Has anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I've ordered a "FatBoy" model of the Harley Sundowner seat. They make one for the Heratige and Night Train.

The seat is a "double bucket" but retains the general look of the original seat that comes on the bike. Very Nice!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went out and about the other day for a 3 hour ride thru the Pinelands of New Jersey. The Seat seems better than the Badlander and I put an extended peg set on the extended controls. As soon as the weather clears we'll be taking a ride to Lake Wallenpaupak in the Poconos in PA. It's about a 3 hour ride one way so I'll see if the seat passes the test.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Re: Butt Burn

KrazyGG said:
I just road from Alvin,Texas to Poway,Calif. in two days then up the Calif. coast up to Washington east to S.D. down to Denver, west to Las Vegas , then south back to Poway,Calif. then back to Alvin,Texas. I was on the road for 19 days, I ride a 02 flhtc with a Mustang seat.

Good Luck, KrazyGG

Does the Mustang seat make you sit higher and more forward? That,s the only thing that worries me on my Hertage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts