V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had this done last summer. Have put just a little over 10k miles on it since with 4 oil changes. Full synthetic. Removed the end caps from the longshots and am running Thunder Monsters. Build is pretty mild, Big Boyz street ported heads, S&S 510c cam(new tensioners, pads and chain), barrels bored to 96", KB cast flat top pistons and .030 cosmetic gasket, DFO, Big Sucker, and the pipes.

The weather has been so nice here in Jan. Since Dec 27th I have put 3 full tanks through the scoot. To say this thing is just getting better is an understatement. Especially since taking the end caps off the longshots. Can't figure out why either. I mean the mid range and upper end is an arm stretcher for sure. Sounds better than any other HD I have heard too. Especially getting off the throttle. No backfiring or sneezing or anything. I think the mid range pull is much better with the end caps off too. Anyways I was concerned about not putting gear drives in it etc. But am happy as a pig in **** with the way it turned out. DIdn't have much luck with the PC I purchased so went back to the DFO and have not regretted one bit. Good mpg's, no backfiring, spitting and runs like a raped ape. keepem sharp

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
klondike said:
Well had this done last summer. Have put just a little over 10k miles on it since with 4 oil changes. Full synthetic. Removed the end caps from the longshots and am running Thunder Monsters. Build is pretty mild, Big Boyz street ported heads, S&S 510c cam(new tensioners, pads and chain), barrels bored to 96", KB cast flat top pistons and .030 cosmetic gasket, DFO, Big Sucker, and the pipes.

The weather has been so nice here in Jan. Since Dec 27th I have put 3 full tanks through the scoot. To say this thing is just getting better is an understatement. Especially since taking the end caps off the longshots. Can't figure out why either. I mean the mid range and upper end is an arm stretcher for sure. Sounds better than any other HD I have heard too. Especially getting off the throttle. No backfiring or sneezing or anything. I think the mid range pull is much better with the end caps off too. Anyways I was concerned about not putting gear drives in it etc. But am happy as a pig in **** with the way it turned out. DIdn't have much luck with the PC I purchased so went back to the DFO and have not regretted one bit. Good mpg's, no backfiring, spitting and runs like a raped ape. keepem sharp
Glad you are happy, I believe it took some time to figure out the configuration.
No luck with pullung gas through the tank around here. May take until April to get back on the road

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep may take it out today before the weather goes south just for one last putt. Looks like the weather may be turning here. This is the warmest jan. we have had since 32. You know what else is interesting is that the exhaust comming out of the longshots. You can feel it pretty darn good from about 13' in back of the bike. My neighbor runs a EG Classic that is stock except of a PC and pipes. He was impressed that you could actually feel the exhaust that far in back of the bike. He also has a Bourgett and still made the comment that it seemed pretty efficient that I was moving that much air. I know when Bean did the heads he reshaped the exhaust manifold to a D shaped config. Again removing the end caps increased it even more. I just can't get over on how efficient this build is. Low bucks, good parts and an excellant builder. keepem sharp

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Always great to hear about happy riders. I know that the power bug bit me long ago I cant stop myself from hot rodding everything I own. GROCK does snow blowers, and I do Leaf blowers not that I would not mod a snow blower just lack of of the white stuff here would make testing difficult. Remember it s a DRY HEAT ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a hoot about snow blowers and lawn mowers. When I was in high school one of my best buddies had a Buick Special. Small 8 cylinder with the alum. heads and a stock high rise manifold if I remember correctly. Mickey thompson 50's on the rear, rear end jacked up with the skinny goodrich tires on front. Hurst 4 speed. It was a ragtop too. He did a bunch of work to the car to make it super quick. He was such a nut that he built his yard tractor so he could do wheel stands with it all the way across his lawn. He could lay rubber like no tomorrow with it too. He is still way into that sort of thing. Not so much with scoots but trucks/cars. He is just very good at it. Last time he and his dad went to Montanna for like 6 wks. hunting and fishing maybe 10 years ago. He rebuilt a 4 WD Dodge truck from the frame up and then made a really nice camper for it. Did it all himself over a year and a half.

And to say I am happy with my scoot is an understatement. It ain't the fastest in the world but then its an E glide. every single person I have let ride the bike has commented on how smooth and torquey it is. To tell the truth I am thinking of selling it. I have my eye on a rebuilt 81 Lowrider. Extremely nice and seeing how my first scoot was a shovel and I could even work on it well maybe I'll just have to send this one down the road and go back to being old school. For some reason when I see a shovel well I just like the looks is all. Who knows. keepem sharp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts