V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2004 Black Road King Classic. Nice custom handlebars, grips, braided cables, some extra chrome, detachable sissy bar, driver backrest, 5400 hundred miles and very clean, $16,000. I think he did pretty good. The guy threw in leathers, helmets, and gloves. Now my question. The two year warranty is up next week is it worth buying the extended warranty and was $16,000 a fair price??

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Personally I never buy any extended warranty. They are a huge waste of money for the consumer. If the extended warranty cost 1000 as an example, put that cash in a money market that you can easily get to in case you need it. Then you are self insured. if you never have to have a "warranty" claim then you never lost any money. If you do, dip into that 1000 reserve and off you go.

Think about it this way. Why do car companies, boat manufacturers, and motorcycle manufacturers offer extended warranties? They do it to MAKE MONEY!! If they were constantly loosing money they would not offer this. It is high priced insurance that has a very minimal rate of return for the end user. If they didn't make a lot of money off the deal they wouldn't be pushing to sell it to you.

Once again, put whatever they want for the insurance in the bank as a backup. DONE...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
sounds like he got a bike he'll enjoy. no on the warrantee and who cares on the price, he paid for it so don't look back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dave1200C said:
Now my question. The two year warranty is up next week is it worth buying the extended warranty and was $16,000 a fair price??
If your friend bought the bike for $16k, he must have thought it was a fair price. If he thought it was fair, so do I. LOL...

A extended warranty is insurance. It's a gamble. If he never uses it, it is a waste. If he does use it, he could be on a winner. How lucky does he feel? :confused:

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Dave1200C said:
2004 Black Road King Classic. Nice custom handlebars, grips, braided cables, some extra chrome, detachable sissy bar, driver backrest, 5400 hundred miles and very clean, $16,000. I think he did pretty good. The guy threw in leathers, helmets, and gloves. Now my question. The two year warranty is up next week is it worth buying the extended warranty and was $16,000 a fair price??
If its got all those goodies on it and its clean and straight, he got a very good deal!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
If it will make him feel better to get the warranty, he should get. It doesn't matter if he got a fair deal now..........he already bought it. He just needs to enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Kelly Blue Book for that bike here is $15970 with 10k miles. With all those extras thrown in, I'd say he done good.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Extended warrantys aren't always a gamble. My wife likes her Chrysler mini vans. This one has the whole load in it and a 7 year bumper to bumper 0 deductable warranty. I'm am already whole on that "investment".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts