V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally managed to pass the H-D bug on to my brother and he is therefore on the hunt for a Harley.
He has narrowed it down to two Fat Boys.
The first is a Jan 2002 with 2500 miles and sells for the equivalent of 16,500 (he is in Italy and everything there is in Euro).
The other one is a brand new 2002 Fat Boy which goes for 19,300 but the dealer is willing to throw in 1000 dollars in parts for free.

I own a Standard and I am not too familiar with Fat Boy customisation.
What would be the first parts for a Fat Boy you would buy or have bought with 1000 dollars?

Thanks everyone!
Ciao

·
Registered
110 Posts
Let's see...$1000 bucks...
I'd do the intake/exhaust trio (hi-flow air filter, exhaust, and re-jet/or reflash fuel injection).
Then a comfy seat.
And a windshield maybe.
If I had any money left over I'd chrome out the fork tins behind the headlight.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would go stage one frist. If he planes to do alot of miles/kelom's the detachable windshield is a good idea.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ciao 94c4

An american living in Rome, Italy just bought a 2002 Night Train, dealer trial bike with only 137 kilometers, for 16,000 euro. Did a long search State side thinking I'd import one cheaper, the cheapest bike i could find was 39 dollars more expensive. Went to the dealer with a 2,000 euro shoping list and when combined with the bike price, paid in one cash settlement got a 500 euro discount. Will get her in January, mostly because I am traveling December. Had a very good experience with the dealer here in Rome, so far. (Harley-Davidson-Roma.com) Where in italy is your bro? maybe we can hook up for a ride or two ...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nite Train,

Brother's in Milan.
Not too close but you never know.
I'll get him on the forum in the next few days.
Final deal seems to be:
New 2002 FLSTF Red/Grey 18,500 Euro.
1,500 Euro worth of parts thrown in for free.
A further 1,500 Euro worth of parts purchased with a 15% discount.
With some advise from the Forum and some by me his bike is goin' to be set up pretty good when it leaves the shop.

Ciao

P.S.: I'm in Rome every now and then (I'll be on the 5th of December) and I'm always checkin' out the HD shop there.
I'll be lookin' out for your Train!

·
Registered
381 Posts
nice deal! is that from the shop in Milan?

Dec 5 I'll be in Florida, but if you go by the shop my bike will be there. It is the only 02 Night Train in the shop.

stay in touch, next time you are here we can hook up or your bro. Maybe meet half way between, always need a good reason to ride ...

later

·
Registered
381 Posts
94c4

one other quick question.

What happens to all the parts the dealer is replacing? like the lower front forks and the rear tire that i am having changed. do i get the original parts back from the dealer, does he keep them and give me a discount or do they mysteriously disappear?

what has you in London and your bro in Milan?

I am with the United Nations, been here some 10 years

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nite,

I would definitely get the dealer to confirm that you will be getting your original parts back.
After all you agreed a package deal for the new ones to be put on the bike.
If the dealer was keeping the originals in the shop then the deal would only be worth the difference in price between the parts he's taking off the bike and the new ones (plus labour) which I doubt it would get to 2000 Euro.
So get him to put all the original parts you have already paid for in a big box for when you pick up your bike.

I'm in London for my job (been here for the last 7 years - boring insurance) but I'm originally from Milan.

You guys at UN are under the spotlight right now eh!?:D

·
Registered
381 Posts
paid 16k for the bike.

having these parts put on:

wide tire kit
glck lower forks
detachable side plates
black mini rail sisy bar
passenger back restpad
two up sport luggaged rack, black
black hand control lever kit
locking gas cap
skull handle bar clamp flame hand grips

the quote price for the parts including installation was 2,136

in the end got the entire package for 17,900. got more or less the same quote from a dealer in the states.

will get the bike in January. I can't wait ...

from Milan that you are Italian, no?

funny you should say insurnace! I have two quotes the best is 1,170 a year for full coverage, from a company reccomended by the dealer. 1,593 from RAS. Do you have any reccomendatiions on this front?

I work for the Food and Agriculture Organization we deal with promoting sustainable development to feed the hungery. I am a graphic designer and I do special events and concert production, exhibitons and trade show design and development. We have some 600 folks that could be directly in harms way should the **** hit the fan

thanks again for all the info

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should be able to bring home the rear tire and the lower forks.

Insurance. I am sorry but I do not do motor (we do corporate risks) so I would not have a clue.
I only know that insurance for the HD over here cost me the equivalent of about 1400 Euro.
I will check with my bro on that.

And yes, I am Italian.

Ciao

1 - 13 of 13 Posts